Please Help...how Much Would You Charge For This??

Decorating By mrstelli01 Updated 31 Mar 2010 , 5:39am by JaimeAnn

mrstelli01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrstelli01 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 7:55am
post #1 of 26

Hello...I would really appreciate some help with pricing. Until now I've only make cakes for friends and family, so I have never charged for a cake. I made this one for my grandpa's 80th birthday and have someone interested in a similar one. It is three WASC 3/4 sheet cakes, strawberry filling, iced in buttercream and covered with fondant. I've researched the other threads, but now I'm even more confused. icon_lol.gif Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
LL
LL

25 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 12:23pm
post #2 of 26

First question is how many does it feed? I charge $5.00 per serving for my 3D Cakes so that being said..If the cake feeds 50...50 x $5.00 is $250.00

Kibosh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kibosh Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 12:41pm
post #3 of 26

Looking through other threads, I too have seen that anything carved starts at 5.00/serving.....or I aslo saw that minimums starts at 100.00.

HTH

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 8:18pm
post #4 of 26

A 1 layer (2" high) 3/4 sheet (18"x18") serves 162 (2"x2"x2" sized servings).

Three 3/4 sheets would serve 486.

486 servings @ $5 a serving = $2430

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 8:21pm
post #5 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by prterrell

Now that's alot of cake icon_surprised.gif And alot of $$$$$$ icon_lol.gif

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 8:32pm
post #6 of 26

There are to many varients to give you a price. You need to work that bit out yourself. unless someone was in your area, buying the exact same ingredients, using the same fuel and paying themself the same rate no one will be able to tell you how much it will cost to make.

You need to work out how much it costs YOU to make, ingredients, fuel,YOUR time, then I would times that by 3 and hey presto a price. (but some would times by 4 or 5 depending how much cakes go for in YOUR area.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 8:45pm
post #7 of 26

I could be wrong, but that cake doesnt look anywhere near that big. I wonder if op meant (3 ) 1/4 sheets stacked??? I dont even know how big a 1/4 is without looking it up I wish people would include actual dimensions.

Quote:

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 8:51pm
post #8 of 26

A lot of people consider 1/4 sheet to be a 9 x 13

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 8:55pm
post #9 of 26

I think your # of servings is off. I would charge 5.00 per serving, but first you need to refigure those servings. Unless that cake looks small in the picture and is really a big monster of a cake, no way it serves almost 500.

prterrell Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 8:59pm
post #10 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

icon_confused.gif A 9x13 IS a quarter sheet. (Of course, industrially, it's actually a 9x12, anyone know why the extra inch was added to pans for home use?).

Did you mean to say that a lot of people consider a 9x13 to be a FULL sheet?

bbmom

That's why I posted all the facts of what this would be if it were really made from three 3/4 sheets stacked...

Just for fun*, here's what it would be if the OP meant three 1/4 sheets (going with the "home" size of 9"x13") stacked:

A 1 layer (2" high) 1/4 sheet (9"x13") serves 28 (2"x2"x2" sized servings).

Three 1/4 sheets would serve 84.

84 servings @ $5 a serving = $420

*Yes, math is fun. icon_surprised.gif What? icon_lol.gif

prterrell Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 9:02pm
post #11 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttehan4

I think your # of servings is off. I would charge 5.00 per serving, but first you need to refigure those servings. Unless that cake looks small in the picture and is really a big monster of a cake, no way it serves almost 500.

Number of servings based on OP saying cake was made from three 3/4 sheet cakes. A 3/4 sheet measures 18"x18". Since OP didn't give actual dimensions, had nothing else to go one. icon_biggrin.gif However, I do agree that something seems amiss w/ OP's description...

tiggy2 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 9:58pm
post #12 of 26

No, I meant a 1/4 sheet for a lot of people is a 9x13, which is exactly what I said. A full sheet is much bigger.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 10:31pm
post #13 of 26
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

icon_confused.gif A 9x13 IS a quarter sheet. (Of course, industrially, it's actually a 9x12, anyone know why the extra inch was added to pans for home use?).

Did you mean to say that a lot of people consider a 9x13 to be a FULL sheet?

bbmom

That's why I posted all the facts of what this would be if it were really made from three 3/4 sheets stacked...

Just for fun*, here's what it would be if the OP meant three 1/4 sheets (going with the "home" size of 9"x13") stacked:

A 1 layer (2" high) 1/4 sheet (9"x13") serves 28 (2"x2"x2" sized servings).

Three 1/4 sheets would serve 84.

84 servings @ $5 a serving = $420

*Yes, math is fun. icon_surprised.gif What? icon_lol.gif

I loved your info, I thought it was a real eye opener thats why I said the op may have mistyped or something because that would be HUGE!

prterrell Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 10:40pm
post #14 of 26

Whoops! tiggy2, I was reading your original comment as commenting on what the size of the cake in the OP was (whether the OP really meant a true 3/4 sheet or 3/4 of a quarter sheet...does that make sense?) and not as answering the question bbmom asked....sorry! icon_redface.gif

bbmom, just to chime in w/ tiggy2's info, here are the sheet sizes:
18"x24" = full
18"x18" = 3/4
12"x18" = 1/2
9"x12" = 1/4
BUT
9"x13" ALSO = 1/4 IF you are using a "quarter sheet" pan made for home use, which, for some reason, has 1" added to the length, if you bake full sheets (which generally requires a commercial oven) and cut the half and quarter sheets from it, then you get the even measurements above.

tiggy2 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 11:17pm
post #15 of 26

No problem prterrell, my pan is actually 9x12 but I think Wilton has the extra inch.

prterrell Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 11:27pm
post #16 of 26

I don't use the Wilton pans, either. I have on that is really nice and has straight sides like the Magic Line pans, but isn't ML. I don't remember what brand it is. I found it on clearance when Linen 'N Things was closing, but it also has the extra inch. In fact, every "quarter sheet pan" I've ever seen does have the extra inch. I had no idea that true quarter sheet pans were even made! icon_biggrin.gif

tiggy2 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 11:35pm
post #17 of 26

Mine is Fat Dadios so the sides are straighter then wilton.

mrstelli01 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 1:10am
post #18 of 26

Wow, I am so sorry I caused so much confusion! lol I am still pretty new to cake decorating and obviously misrepresented the size. It was (3) 12x18 sheet cakes. Which I see from another post is 1/2 sheet icon_redface.gif.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 1:38am
post #19 of 26
Quote:

pssst!!! A cake 18x18 that is cut into 2" squares would be cut in 9 rows by 9 columns (18" divided by 2" = 9 rows/columns) = 81 servings.

Three of those = 243 servings.

I think you hit a wrong number on your calculator! thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 1:44am
post #20 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstelli01

Wow, I am so sorry I caused so much confusion! lol I am still pretty new to cake decorating and obviously misrepresented the size. It was (3) 12x18 sheet cakes. Which I see from another post is 1/2 sheet icon_redface.gif.

Here's a thread with a little history on how sheet sizes were established.
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-661804-math.html

And this is a good lesson on why I (and many others) don't use the terms "Half" or "full" sheet .... because even those in the industry don't use the terms consistently, so there's no way I expect cake civilians to have any idea what they're talking about ! icon_lol.gif

prterrell Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 1:45am
post #21 of 26

Doh! Indydebi, you're right! icon_redface.gif I totally goofed the math on that! icon_redface.gif

Let me try that again!

81 x 3 = 243 @ $5/serving = $1215.......which is still a big ol' chunk of change!

You know what, I'm so used to the 1x2x4 serving for layer cakes, that I MUST have goofed the original calculation up that way. icon_cool.gificon_rolleyes.gif

Per the OP's later input, apparently the cake pictured was actually 3 12x18's, so that's 54 x 3 = 162 @ $5/serving = $810

Cakeandcupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeandcupcakes Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 1:55am
post #22 of 26

Am I the only one who is surprised that more than one person have requested an accordion cake? I feel like that may be the one of the oddest cakes I've seen. Don't get me wrong the cake is amazing!!!! But I would be totally shocked if someone requested an accordion from me.

Nice cake!

mrstelli01 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 3:16am
post #23 of 26

Well I made this cake for my grandpas 80th birthday. I chose to make it as a gift to him since one of his most prized possessions is his accordian that he's had for 68 years. Normally I'd be suprised about a second order too, but with the crowd that attended his party (120 guests), many musicians, mainly consisting of Italians, with live accordian entertainment, I'm not too suprised thumbs_up.gif

mrstelli01 Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 10:55pm
post #24 of 26

Thank you for the thread Indydebi. I will definetly give measurements from now on. icon_lol.gif Thanks to everyone who gave me insight into pricing!

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 11:15pm
post #25 of 26

Ok... I may get some backlash but for my own personal calculations I wouldnt be pricing this at sheetcake sizes just because it is carved from sheetcakes. I would measure and cut based on regular wedding (some people may use party size, but i use wedding size for all cakes) serving sizes. So if the finished dimensions are 12X18X6 I would get 84 servings(basicly the same as one 12" square + two 6" squares) Most of my cakes end up being close to 6"tall anyways since I torte the layers so I would not charge extra for the added height (people would just get nice tall peices icon_smile.gif )I would charge $6.00 per serving because that is what i charge for carved , sculpted or custom designs (your per serving price may be different.) So I personally would charge $504.(Buttercream & fondant) and upcharge any special fillings or gourmet flavors.

JaimeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaimeAnn Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 5:39am
post #26 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaimeAnn

Ok... I may get some backlash but for my own personal calculations I wouldnt be pricing this at sheetcake sizes just because it is carved from sheetcakes. I would measure and cut based on regular wedding (some people may use party size, but i use wedding size for all cakes) serving sizes. So if the finished dimensions are 12X18X6 I would get 84 servings(basicly the same as one 12" square + two 6" squares) Most of my cakes end up being close to 6"tall anyways since I torte the layers so I would not charge extra for the added height (people would just get nice tall peices icon_smile.gif )I would charge $6.00 per serving because that is what i charge for carved , sculpted or custom designs (your per serving price may be different.) So I personally would charge $504.(Buttercream & fondant) and upcharge any special fillings or gourmet flavors.

OOOPPPPSSS i miscalculated the amount of servings I would get from that. (I was doing 2 things involving numbers at once) hahahahah

I would get 108 servings at $6.00 per serving .
I personaly give a $.25 discount per serving for ordrs over 100servings. some people will disagree with that but it works for me icon_smile.gif so my total would be $621

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%