Banana Nut Cake Recipe???

Baking By blue123 Updated 26 Mar 2010 , 1:06am by endymion

blue123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blue123 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 6:31am
post #1 of 4

Does anyone have a tried and true Banana Nut cake recipe? If it has a cake mix base, it's okay. I need one for this Friday. I have a recipe that I use, but it is too soft. I need a more firm recipe. Thanks for the help icon_smile.gif

3 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 12:15am
post #2 of 4

The WASC cake can be made using any cake mix flavor:

http://tinyurl.com/2cu8s4

http://tinyurl.com/l8zb4y

Use banana cake mix [I like DH], add banana extract and your choice of chopped nuts.

HTH

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 12:20am
post #3 of 4

i made a banana cake with chopped hazelnuts a few days ago and it was very firm and moist and well liked by my office coworkers - my only concern is that it was more like a banana bread than a light cake

125g butter, softened
165g caster sugar (super fine)
2 eggs
1 cup mashed banana (approx 460g)
110g self raising flour
110 plain flour
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
110g hazelnuts, roasted and chopped finely (i think i processed mine too fine but as i dont like nuts in my cakes prefered this)

preheat oven to 180/160 C fan forced
grease 8" pan with baking paper
beat butter & sugar in bowl until light and fluffy
beat in eggs one at a time
stir in banana mash
combine sifted flours and soda and nuts and add to mixture
put into pan and bake for approx 1hr

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 1:06am
post #4 of 4

This recipe came from my mother's mother -- that whole side of the family was involved in the bakery business and the recipes I got from them are really good!

BANANA NUT CAKE

1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (or 2 cups cake flour)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/3 cups sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk (or put 1 1/2 tsp vinegar in a measuring cup and then fill with milk to make 1/2 cup)
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup mashed fully ripe bananas (about 3 bananas)
2 eggs
1/2 cup chopped nuts (we always use pecans)
1/2 cup butter, margarine, or shortening

Mix dry ingredients together and set aside. Mix butter/margarine/shortening on slow speed until smooth. Add dry ingredients plus 1/4 cup of the milk and the bananas and beat for 2 minutes. Add the eggs, nuts, vanilla, and remaining milk and beat for 1 minute longer.

The recipe says to put it in a greased and floured 9X13 inch pan and bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes, but you'll need to make adjustments to the oven temp and bake time if you are doing different size pans.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%