Banana Nut Cake Recipe???

Baking By blue123 Updated 26 Mar 2010 , 1:06am by endymion

blue123 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 6:31am
post #1 of 4

Does anyone have a tried and true Banana Nut cake recipe? If it has a cake mix base, it's okay. I need one for this Friday. I have a recipe that I use, but it is too soft. I need a more firm recipe. Thanks for the help icon_smile.gif

3 replies
JanH Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 12:15am
post #2 of 4

The WASC cake can be made using any cake mix flavor:

http://tinyurl.com/2cu8s4

http://tinyurl.com/l8zb4y

Use banana cake mix [I like DH], add banana extract and your choice of chopped nuts.

HTH

Mrs-A Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 12:20am
post #3 of 4

i made a banana cake with chopped hazelnuts a few days ago and it was very firm and moist and well liked by my office coworkers - my only concern is that it was more like a banana bread than a light cake

125g butter, softened
165g caster sugar (super fine)
2 eggs
1 cup mashed banana (approx 460g)
110g self raising flour
110 plain flour
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
110g hazelnuts, roasted and chopped finely (i think i processed mine too fine but as i dont like nuts in my cakes prefered this)

preheat oven to 180/160 C fan forced
grease 8" pan with baking paper
beat butter & sugar in bowl until light and fluffy
beat in eggs one at a time
stir in banana mash
combine sifted flours and soda and nuts and add to mixture
put into pan and bake for approx 1hr

endymion Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 1:06am
post #4 of 4

This recipe came from my mother's mother -- that whole side of the family was involved in the bakery business and the recipes I got from them are really good!

BANANA NUT CAKE

1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour (or 2 cups cake flour)
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp salt
1 1/3 cups sugar
1/2 cup buttermilk (or put 1 1/2 tsp vinegar in a measuring cup and then fill with milk to make 1/2 cup)
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup mashed fully ripe bananas (about 3 bananas)
2 eggs
1/2 cup chopped nuts (we always use pecans)
1/2 cup butter, margarine, or shortening

Mix dry ingredients together and set aside. Mix butter/margarine/shortening on slow speed until smooth. Add dry ingredients plus 1/4 cup of the milk and the bananas and beat for 2 minutes. Add the eggs, nuts, vanilla, and remaining milk and beat for 1 minute longer.

The recipe says to put it in a greased and floured 9X13 inch pan and bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes, but you'll need to make adjustments to the oven temp and bake time if you are doing different size pans.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%