Airbrushing!!!

Decorating By Kerry_Kake Updated 26 Mar 2010 , 12:01pm by Kerry_Kake

Kerry_Kake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerry_Kake Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 3:05am
post #1 of 10

Ok, I seriously think there has to be something wrong with my airbrush....I can't be that bad, can I?
When I fill my airbrush up it will drip out of the end. Is this normal? I cannot get it to do a fine line or at a slow pace. It comes out really fast and it goes through a lot of color. I've only had it for a little bit. I was sure I could do finer lines at first and it never leaked icon_rolleyes.gif
I can only cover the whole cake it one color, I can't do fine details. I bought my airbrush and compressor off of eBay. Do you think I need a new airbrush gun?
No wonder I'm not in love with airbrushing....something is wrong! Right???

Here is the link to my machine:
http://cgi.ebay.ca/CAKE-DECORATING-AIRBRUSH-KIT-Food-Color-Air-Compressor_W0QQitemZ190383449619QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2c53bce613

9 replies
sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 3:16am
post #2 of 10

When cleaning and putting back together is it possible that you broke the tip? You have to thread the needle back into it very gently.

Kerry_Kake Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 3:20am
post #3 of 10

It's possible that the tip could be broken, maybe. I have never taken the whole thing apart before though. I have unscrewed just the end for cleaning. The end of it looks like the end of a pen. Was there supposed to be more of a needle looking end to it???

helsbels Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
helsbels Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 3:55am
post #4 of 10

the needle goes thru the whole airbrush gun. When you pull back the trigger the needle goes back and releases the color. If your needle is not in tight or is bent it will not spray correctly. If the needle is bent at the tip you can take it out and very gently straighten it by rolling it thru two pennies. If you remove the back of the gun you can push your needle down to be sure it is in tight. hth let me know if you need more info.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 5:17am
post #5 of 10

Sounds like your need;e isn't in correctly. If yours is like mine, you screw then end off and you can adjust the needle. Be sure you can see the needle sticking out of the airbrush. The thinner the liquid, the more needle you need to see sticking out.

Kerry_Kake Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 1:13pm
post #6 of 10

Ahhh big sigh of relief!!
I just took my airbrush apart and then thought I was in more trouble then when I started because I couldn't put it back together icon_cry.gif But I found a very good tutorial on Youtube to help me put it back together icon_lol.gif
So, my needle somehow went back inside the gun....must of gotten loose, since I never have taken it apart. Now that I have I feel much better about the maintenance of having an airbrush! I haven't tried it again yet but I'm sure it will be much better with the needle stuck out icon_wink.gif
Thanks everyone!

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 1:15pm
post #7 of 10

LOL, yeah that first time you take one apart is scary... I remember looking at mine thinking "what have I gotten myself in to...and how do I get out of it" LOL
Glad you were able to fix it.

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 2:27pm
post #8 of 10

Glad you got it working again Kerry_Kake.......you must feel so relieved!!

Do you still have the link to the youtube tutorial? It would be handy to have for future reference for someone like me that is not too mechanically handy....lol

Kerry_Kake Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 2:32pm
post #9 of 10

Yes I am! Here is the Youtube tutorial link that I used:

Kerry_Kake Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 12:01pm
post #10 of 10

It took me a while yesterday to get my airbrush running again because it was also clogged. But now it is working A1! icon_biggrin.gif
Thanks again for all your help. I just forgot if there was supposed to be the needle sticking out or not icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%