What Happened?

Baking By SassySweetz Updated 25 Mar 2010 , 10:12pm by SassySweetz

SassySweetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SassySweetz Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 12:31am
post #1 of 14

Today I was going to make my reg. NFSC from here on CC. Well, my last baking time my whimpy mixer had a hard time keeping up. (I dont have a KA yet, I'm still a little new to the cakes/cookies! So I decided to cut the recipe in half. Well, befor I could get to that......silly me....! went off the path and decided to try the "roll out cookie" recipe that can be found on the back of most Wilton comfort grip cookie cutters.
I followed the recipe to the T! I did all my "normal" steps that I follow when I make the NFSC's. When I pulled the cookies out of the oven! OMGGGGGGGGGGGG icon_cry.gif they had all spread and didn't look like Easter eggs and butterflys anymore!
Can anyone tell me what happend? This was my first time using that recipe. I guess maybe I should have stuck to the old trusty NFSC! I've never, ever had a cookie lose shape when I've used the NFSC recipe? I can't understand why these cookies did this?

TIA ladies!
Ash

13 replies
shelbycompany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbycompany Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 12:41am
post #2 of 14

I only use the NFSC recipe. I guess that's why they call it "no fail". I don't really know why they spread out so much but I do know why I use the NFSC.

SassySweetz Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 12:49am
post #3 of 14

DITTO! The one time I venture out I don't get the results I was looking for! I guess it's back to NFSC!

kimmyboo925 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimmyboo925 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 12:59am
post #4 of 14

After I roll out my cookies I pop them in the freezer for about 15 minutes. I roll them pretty thick as well.. Mine never spread with the freezer method... just take them out about after about 15 minutes and then put directly in the oven. As that batch is cooking I cut the next batch and put in the freezer.... and so on.. It goes fast!!!

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 1:00am
post #5 of 14

Even with NFSC, I pop the cut out cookies on the sheet into the freezer for 2-3 mins before I put them in the oven. Stops the spreading in NFSC - might be worth a try.

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 1:03am
post #6 of 14

Cookies usually spread because of the fat content. You might need to adjust the butter/crisco-or, stay with the tried and true NFSC recipe...Sometimes it just doesn't pay to try new things! Sorry this happened to you.

SassySweetz Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 1:13am
post #7 of 14

That's why I'm stumped? I always use the freezer method thumbs_up.gif

Could it might have been the butter?? I used half butter and half marg.

Sorry Wilton.....I will never try your "cookie" recipe again! UGH! Thank goodness I have the NFSC to fall back on! WHEW!!!! Good thing this wasnt an important batch of cookies....LOL!

Ash

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 3:18am
post #8 of 14

Even more of a reason to stick with what you know works. Sorry that happened.

linedancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linedancer Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 12:26pm
post #9 of 14

Just for grins, I compared the two recipes, Wilton and NFSC. Here is the result:

The Wilton recipe has 1/4 cup less flour, 1/2 cup less sugar,and 1/2 teaspoon more baking powder than the NFSC.

I am no scientist, but it seems to me that would make a softer, less sweet, higher rising cookie, so it would probably spread more.

As I said, just for grins

icon_wink.gif

SassySweetz Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 2:58pm
post #10 of 14

LMBO! I never thought of comparing the 2 recipes! Yep I belive your right! Thanks icon_lol.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 3:12pm
post #11 of 14

Do you often use 1/2 butter and 1/2 marg?

I don't like marg for anything as i find it *breaks down* -
Where as butter has more *staying power* IYKWIM.

I am thinking the marg created your spreading - as i have used both recipes and not had that happen - using all butter.

Bluehue.

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 8:40pm
post #12 of 14

I mainly use margarine and find it spreads less than butter so that's not what's causing the spreading.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 9:39pm
post #13 of 14

In the recipe comparison, having a 1 cup difference in dry ingredients equates to having a higher input of fat ingredients ... the ratio of fat to dry is way off.

More fat ... more spreading.

Easy peasy science! thumbs_up.gif

(I've only ever used margarine in my NFSC. I never pre-freeze the cookies at all. No major spreading problems. Cookies go from cut out on the counter straight into the oven.)

SassySweetz Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 10:12pm
post #14 of 14

I don't normally use 1/2 butter and 1/2 marg. but that's what I had on hand that day.

I've done that with NFSC also, I've done 1/2 salt 1/2 non salt butter and they come out perfect every time.

I guess IndyDebi is right, it's gotta be the dry ingred. ratio with that Wilton recipe. The NFSC has way more dry ingred.

Thank you all for your great input!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%