Royal Icing Help

Baking By Anaellisse89 Updated 30 Mar 2010 , 1:35am by Anaellisse89

Anaellisse89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anaellisse89 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 12:30am
post #1 of 8

I am trying to learn how to make royal icing. I am taking course 2 of the Wilton classes and in the book it gives a recipe I follow it directly and my icing comes out thin when the recipe says it should come out thick. Can anyone tell me any tips or if you have a royal icing recipe that works for you. Thank You

7 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 1:01am
post #2 of 8

Are you making sure that everything is completely grease free before starting?

Anaellisse89 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 1:03am
post #3 of 8

that could be it i have been using the same bowl we mix everything else in i guess i have to buy a new bowl just for icing

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 1:05am
post #4 of 8

No, you don't have to do that, unless it is a plastic bowl. You cannot make a meringue or royal icing in a plastic bowl. Wash everything in really hot water (as hot as you can stand) with a generous amount of Dawn dish soap. Rinse in really really hot water. Air dry. Then dampen a paper towel with vinegar and wipe over everything. Voila! No more grease! icon_biggrin.gif

Anaellisse89 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 1:07am
post #5 of 8

sounds easy enough i will have to try it thank you

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 4:36pm
post #6 of 8

I never do the vinager thing. I don't have a dish washer either, so I just wash everything with hot soapy water. icon_smile.gif

If there is grease in the bowl, it won't mix up and will remain soupy like.

My questions for you:

Did you use a 1lb box or did you measure out of a 2lb bag? And if you used the 2lb bag was this the first or the last of the bag?

When you measured the water, how much did you use? If it is really humid sometimes you need less so I always start with the lower number. Also you have to be careful when measuring water. It can build up over the top of the measuring spoon before it finally pours over the sides, so you could have add more than just a tablespoon at a time.

How long did you mix your icing? Did you use a hand mixer or a stand mixer?

RobynLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RobynLM Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 4:44pm
post #7 of 8

I took this course last month and wonder if you did what I did. The recipe calls for 5-6 tbsp of water; how much water are you adding? 6 makes it rather thin, while just over 5 makes it pretty stiff. Hope this helps!

Anaellisse89 Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 1:35am
post #8 of 8

Thank you for all the suggestions i tried a different bowl we don't use very much and the icing came out much better i could actually make flowers out of it
Thanks again everyone

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%