Need Help First Wedding Cake

Decorating By faro39 Updated 30 Mar 2010 , 10:38pm by faro39

faro39 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
faro39 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 12:20am
post #1 of 4

I was asked to make a wedding cake for a friend of a friend nothing too fancy and just a plain cream colour with a few cream roses and two tier thats what she wants. Because its my first wedding cake and I want it to be special so my few questions are... getting the colour right? a guy in a cake shop told me to add brown very little to get cream i have been practising and have got an ivory or a kinda of beige. I think i would like a warm cream colour any suggestions? i could just buy cream food colouring gel/paste if need be but just in case its not going to give me the colour. Second question its only a two tier rectangle should i stack it or use pillars which is easiest for a first timer? third question is it ok to use fresh flowers in case mine arent up to scratch? and lastly to get a nice sheen on the flowers or cake what is best to use? I have seen the spray is that what is used

3 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 1:23am
post #2 of 4

Not sure what you mean by sheen on the cake and flowers. icon_confused.gif

As for construction, there's not really a whole lot of difference between stacking and having the columns, although, personally, I like the look of a stacked cake better than with columns. Either way, both cakes are on boards or cake plates (bottom cake is on a thicker board, called a drum) and there are dowels (wooden or plastic) inside the bottom cake holding up the top cake. If you have columns, the columns that show outside the cake are basically extensions of the dowels inside the cake.

You can use fresh flowers, just make sure they are organic and pesticide free and not poisonous. Roses, for example, are OK.

For a cream color, I just add a few drops of Ivory gel paste. If that's not exactly the color you want, you can add a drop or two of lemon yellow.

HTH!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 1:29am
post #3 of 4

Look into SPS for your support system. It's easy and secure.

Also when making the icing, you can just use regular brown vanilla and it gives the icing a nice creamy color.

I buy all my flowers. I just can't get paid enough to make them. avalon deo dot com.

You can buy pearl spray in a can and it works great - at least the PME brand does.

faro39 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
faro39 Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 10:38pm
post #4 of 4

Many thanks for the ideas i really appreciate it as i am a newbie may i ask leah what is SRS sturcture support please

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%