Fill A Doll Cake? How Many Servings?

Decorating By sillyjodes Updated 26 Mar 2010 , 11:49pm by sillyjodes

sillyjodes Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 12:18am
post #1 of 7

DD, who's turning 6 wants a doll cake for her bday. Do I just fill it like a regular cake, ie cut in half, dam, and fill? How many servings should I expect?
Thanks

6 replies
prterrell Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 1:24am
post #2 of 7

You don't fill the doll cake, it would cause it to be unstable.

It makes about 12-15 servings.

sillyjodes Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 2:49am
post #3 of 7

All that cake and no filling! Say it isn't so!!

Kerry_Kake Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 3:16am
post #4 of 7

I've only made one doll cake and I have no idea what everyone else does. But I can tell you what I did. I don't have the doll pan for one so I baked....wait see if I can remember right.....I used a pyrex bowl oh yes, then I baked 2 8" rounds. I placed them all together and carved to the right shape, then, I took the pyrex cake and torted it and filled with buttercream and placed this on a cardboard. Then, the bottom 2 8" rounds were filled with buttercream and placed on my board and doweled and placed the top pyrex cake on top and crumcoated and then final coated with buttercream. Do you follow? So, it's a 2 tier cake! Easier to cut in my opinion! You can check it out in my photos.

luvmysmoother Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 4:02am
post #5 of 7

I've torted and filled both my doll cakes and they were fineicon_smile.gif I just didn't fill them too much and with the hole in the middle of the cake it's a bit trickier so I would just use a very thick ganache filling rather than a pie filling or something too liquidyicon_smile.gif

prterrell Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 5:21am
post #6 of 7

I made 3 doll cakes back when I first started. None were filled. There's plenty of frosting on the outside of the cake. Not really any different proportionally than with a single layer sheet cake.

sillyjodes Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 11:49pm
post #7 of 7

Ok, thanks guys. I guess I'll fill it, if I want to, but with something gooey. She's asked for chocolate, so thick ganache would be no problem. It looks like I'll add a base cake for more servings anyway, so I'll see.
Thanks again!
Jodie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%