What Should I Look For In A New Range?

Decorating By canter101 Updated 29 Mar 2010 , 1:30pm by KReeves

canter101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
canter101 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 12:01am
post #1 of 12

I want to know what you Cake Central folks would recomend I look for if/when I were to buy a new range for my kitchen. I want to buy something that will work best for my cakes.

11 replies
Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 1:56am
post #2 of 12

I just last year bought a Samsung range...it has a flat cooktop (electric) but the best part is it has three racks, and its actually remarkably good about enough circulation to bake everything pretty well with something on all three racks.

It has convection but I do NOT use it for the cakes, I find it browns the tops a bit too fast and dries them a bit...but it works great for cooking dinner or whatever.

Anyway it has alot of great cooking functions and the oven is nice.

My only complaint at ALL about the oven is that because it has hidden bottom elements, anything that drips to the bottom seems to smoke excessively, so if anything overflows at all you HAVE to pretty much stop and scrape it up immediately or it will smoke you out! But once I found that out I rarely have a problem..if I think I'm going to bake something messy, I put foil on the bottom rack.

There are models with two racks and models with three racks...I bought the model with two and purchased an extra rack seperately because it was cheaper! And they were the same interior size. Which actually Samsung and LG both boast the largest oven capacity in the industry, at least last year when I bought mine....its nice and wide and deep inside.

Anyway I love it.

canter101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
canter101 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 7:28am
post #3 of 12

Thank you ! Now I can start my wish list! thumbs_up.gif

surgery2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
surgery2 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 12:29am
post #4 of 12

convection.........................Love it

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 1:29pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I just last year bought a Samsung range...it has a flat cooktop (electric) but the best part is it has three racks, and its actually remarkably good about enough circulation to bake everything pretty well with something on all three racks.

It has convection but I do NOT use it for the cakes, I find it browns the tops a bit too fast and dries them a bit...but it works great for cooking dinner or whatever.

Anyway it has alot of great cooking functions and the oven is nice.

My only complaint at ALL about the oven is that because it has hidden bottom elements, anything that drips to the bottom seems to smoke excessively, so if anything overflows at all you HAVE to pretty much stop and scrape it up immediately or it will smoke you out! But once I found that out I rarely have a problem..if I think I'm going to bake something messy, I put foil on the bottom rack.

There are models with two racks and models with three racks...I bought the model with two and purchased an extra rack seperately because it was cheaper! And they were the same interior size. Which actually Samsung and LG both boast the largest oven capacity in the industry, at least last year when I bought mine....its nice and wide and deep inside.

Anyway I love it.

Kitagirl,
I just bought a Samsung right around Xmas, and I love it! It has the convection option and I have used it with cakes pretty successfully, but the WASC and that oven do not get along. In fact, I think next time I will just try the regular oven mode. When I use the convection with the WASC, it tends to have to cook to long to get done and then it looks like it is overcooked, it is still pretty moist and the centers on all of my layers have been sinking??? I use the convection with my Chocolate Stout and no problems, its really weird.. Sorry for my rambling, I just read your post and got excited that someone had the same as me.

Kitagrl Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 2:22pm
post #6 of 12

Yeah the convection does not work well on some of my cakes, it seems like the fans brown the tops too quickly.

However the regular oven does work great, and the oven seems to circulate air well enough without the convection to bake everything pretty well. The only thing I do is sometimes try to switch the bottom and top shelves over halfway through baking, if the oven is stuffed full.

I love that its wider inside than most ovens so I can fit more side by side too!

Does yours smoke really badly when you drip something on the bottom? haha.

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 2:57pm
post #7 of 12

I bought a GE range, its not convection, but it is awesome. I can put 2 6", 2 8", and 2 10" cakes in it at the same time and they still cook perfectly even. Its an extra large oven with flat top. It came from Lowes I think it was around 5-600$.

Kitagrl Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 3:07pm
post #8 of 12

Lowe's is the BEST. At the time I got mine they didn't have the Samsung so I got mine at Best Buy but any other appliance I will get at Lowe's. Their extended warranty and their customer service are far above any of the competition.

I got a washer/dryer combo from Lowe's and after 6 months the dryer messed up (GE actually...not impressed...haha...but all appliances are different!) and when the repair guys came out, they were like "Your washer and dryer do not have serial number stickers on them! We can't fix it!" Ugh. So Lowe's gave us a brand new matching set, no questions asked.

I will always buy appliances from them, from now on! We got a fridge from them too and their 5 year comprehensive warranty was dirt cheap compared to other places.

KReeves Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KReeves Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 3:17pm
post #9 of 12

ttehan4, what size is your GE?

ttehan4 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 3:19pm
post #10 of 12

I'll go upstairs and look for a model or something.

ttehan4 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 9:04pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Quote:

ttehan4, what size is your GE?

It is a Super Capacity Oven 5.3 cubic feet. Its a standard 30" range though. If you go on the GE website you can look through the list of ranges. Mine was cheaper at Lowes than what the prices are on there.

KReeves Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KReeves Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 1:30pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks ttehan!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%