Need Ideas For "grown Up" Cupcakes

Baking By krm52200 Updated 9 Apr 2010 , 8:38pm by KATE39

krm52200 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krm52200 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 10:40pm
post #1 of 12

I've been asked to bring bite sized desserts to a function this weekend. I was thinking of doing mini cupcakes with more sophisticated flavors since it will be an adult only party.

Any ideas for "grown up" cupcake flavors? Cake/filling/frosting, etc.

Thanks so much!

11 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 10:44pm
post #2 of 12

What about a Mocha coffee flavor...Or an Irish cream...Orange Dreamsicle....Chccolate mudd cake...Pina Coloda cake

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 10:59pm
post #3 of 12

I make bite-size brownies that are always a huge hit. I bake them in the mini muffin tin, without a liner, I place them in liners sometimes after they are cooled and before I pipe on icing, just for presentation. There is a pic of some I did for an event in my pics. Anyhow, here's a list of flavors that I usually give people to choose from:

fudge (topped either w/ chocolate jimmies or choclate shavings)
raspberry bc (topped either w/ a raspberry or white chocolate shavings)
orange bc (topped w/ orange zest)
peanut butter bc (topped either w/ a peanut or a chocolate coated peanut)
mocha bc (topped w/ a chocolate covered espresso bean)
mint bc (topped w/ a mini york peppermint patty)
vanilla bc (topped w/ colored sprinkles)
white chocolate bc (topped w/ white chocolate shavings)
almond bc (topped w/ almond slices)
dulce de leche bc (topped w/ a drizzle of dulce de leche)
"turtle" (caramel and chopped pecans mixed together, drizzled w/ chocolate)
"raspberry truffle" (seedless raspberry jam, fudge, then drizzled w/ chocolate and jam)
cookies 'n cream bc (drizzled w/ chocolate)
strawberry cheesecake (strawberry jam, Jello cheesecake filling (from the tub in the refrigerated section of store), topped w/ a slice of strawberry)
cherry cheesecake (cherry jam, Jello cheesecake filling (from tob in the refrigerated section of store), topped w/ a cherry)
cream cheese icing (topped w/ mini chocolate chips)

MACakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MACakes Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 11:01pm
post #4 of 12

Chai Latte? I made them this weekend and they were a huge hit with both adults and kids. Just add about 3 tbsp of instant Chai Latte powder to your batter. Delicious.

krm52200 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 11:23pm
post #5 of 12

OMG- prterrell those brownies look and sound amazing!! someone else is already bringing brownies but I may incorporate one or two of your flavors into a cupcake. I had already planned on doing Bailey's Irish Cream mousse and buttercream. I think your flavors would go well with that.

Thanks so much for the suggestions! Keep the ideas coming!

prterrell Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 11:54pm
post #6 of 12

Another idea I just had (inspired by your mention of Bailey's...love that stuff!) is to do "cocktail" inspired cuppies.

Daiquiri
(by this I mean the true daiquri, which is a mix of lime juice, simple syrup, and rum)
lime cupcake, baste w/ a splash of rum before icing, and then ice with a lime buttercream that has a bit of rum in it, then garnish with lime zest. Although, for a strawberry version, just replace strawberry w/ lime.

Pina Colada
Coconut cake w/ pineapple juice in batter, splash w/ a mixture of rum and coconut milk before icing, ice with a coconut and pineapple buttercream w/ rum in it, garnish w/ flaked coconut.

Margarita
Lime and orange cupcakes w/ tequila splash before icing, ice w/ lime buttercream w/ tequila and cointreau, garnish with lime zest and sea salt.

Fuzzy Navel
Peach and orange cupcake w/ splash of vodka before icing, ice w/ peach and orange buttercream w/ vodka, garnish w/ thin slice of peach.

Sex on the Beach
Same as Fuzzy Navel, only add cranberry to the cupcake and icing and garnish w/ a maraschino cherry and a bit of orange on a frilled toothpick.

Lemon Drop
Lemon cupcake w/ splash of vodka, lemon icing w/ vodka, garnish w/ candied lemon zest.

White Russian
White cupcake, splash w/ vodka and kahlua, ice w/ vodka and kahlua spiked whipped cream.

Mudslide
Same as White Russian, w/ addition of Bailey's.

Cosmopolitan
Orange, lime, and Cranberry cupcake, splash w/ vodka and Cointreau, ice w/ cranberry-lime buttercream w/ vodka and Cointreau.

Mojito
Lime and mint cupcake w/ splash of rum, ice w/ lime-mint buttercream w/ rum, garnish w/ lime zest twist and mint leaf

Sangria
Mixed fruit (lemon, orange, pineapple, raspberry, strawberry, etc) cupcake w/ splash of red wine, ice w/ mixed fruit buttercream w/ red wine, garnish w/ mixed fruits on a frilled toothpick.
This is just to give you an idea. You can make a cake inspired by most cocktails (well, not the Bloody Mary!) icon_biggrin.gif

krm52200 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 12:08am
post #7 of 12

prterrell, you are amazing! its so funny because after I read your last post I started thinking I could really run with the "cocktail" theme. Especially since its a girls night out gathering, so whats more fun than cocktails?!?

Thank you so much for your ideas, I am totally inspired now!

prterrell Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 12:09am
post #8 of 12

You're welcome! Glad to help! Let me know how they turn out. icon_biggrin.gif

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 12:13am
post #9 of 12

prterrell - those are some great ideas and flavour combinations icon_smile.gif

scociny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scociny Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 9:11pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoir

prterrell - those are some great ideas and flavour combinations icon_smile.gif

I totally agree! Those flavors have me drooling. thumbs_up.gif

Sara789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sara789 Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 7:35pm
post #11 of 12

prterrell - Thanks for the great flavor combos. I'm always looking for new ideas.

KATE39 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KATE39 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 8:38pm
post #12 of 12

Wow now I want a drink after reading this!!!! Yummy!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%