Help With Making 1St Cookie Order!

Baking By candoo Updated 25 Mar 2010 , 8:00pm by prterrell

candoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candoo Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 10:12pm
post #1 of 14

I have never done cookies, but I have a client requesting individually wrapped Mickey Mouse head cookies on a stick. What do I need to do this? How do u charge for cookies? Should I turn her down flat (I'm doing her cake), or can ya'll help me out on my 1st cookie decorating experience???

13 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 10:19pm
post #2 of 14

You need to find or make a cookie cutter in the shape of a Mickey Mouse head.Roll out the dough and cut it and then place the stick into the back of it or up through the middle providing the dough is thick enough..Bake them...Make Antonias74 royal icing for cookies.(Recipe in recipe section under royal icing).Outline them first and then flood them in...Let dry a day or so and package.I would charge anywhere from $4.00-$5.00 each as they are VERY time consuming! You may have to consider copyright laws as well since it is a disney figure.

candoo Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 5:16am
post #3 of 14

What type of stick? Like a wooden skewer type stick? And the stick is baked right along with the cookies??? And what is a good cookie recipe to use that will hold up? (not crack, crumble, etc...)

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 5:26am
post #4 of 14

I wouldn't do the order, honestly, not worth the risk of copyright infringement. Sorry, I know that's not what you asked, but I'd hate to see you get into legal trouble over cookies.

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 9:56am
post #5 of 14

I wouldn't do the order either, too risky with Disney.

smokeysmokerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smokeysmokerton Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 10:21am
post #6 of 14

Question for those who mentioned copyright infringement: You can make a licensed character cookie, you just can't sell it, right? What if she added the cost of the cookies to the cake and did the cookies as a "free" bonus? I'm just curious how strict the guidelines are. Thanks

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 11:02am
post #7 of 14

I use wilton's cookie sticks, and I find it easier to cover the cookie in fondant and add RI decorations.

RUTHIE29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RUTHIE29 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 11:50am
post #8 of 14

Hey Sweetie .....I would go for it ! Karens cookies has a great recipe and U-tube has tutorials Even if you used just a round cookie shape and flooded your cookie with facial color and added fondant for ears and bow and then use RI for details. Of course you are going to have to work this out on paper first. Go to cookie bouq. sites and look at there minnies, that will tell you if you want to tackle it! Also you can make your cookies way ahead of time so you wont feel the need to pull out your hair...good luck and have fun!!! Oh yea if you have plenty of time e-bay use to have shaped cookie cutters for minnie...byu icon_smile.gif

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 12:03pm
post #9 of 14

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1552785
what if you just did the mickey silhouette dipped in chocolate like on this cake?

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 12:10pm
post #10 of 14

When doing cookies on a stick..... I have found that if I dip about 1" of the stick in corn syrup, I don't have problems with cookies spinning. Don't know what to tell you about copywrighted charactors, except use your best judgement. I personally don't do them unless I can change it up a little bit. Give the cookies about 24 hours to dry before packaging them. The no fail sugar cookie recipe on here is a really good one for these and if you don't have the royal icing ing., you can use pourable cookie icing (toba's glaze) 1 cup sifted pwd. sugar, 1 Tbls. milk and corn syrup to proper concistansy. This really grabs the color, so go sparingly when coloring. Hope this helps.
Amy

SassySweetz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SassySweetz Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 3:13pm
post #11 of 14

Karens cookies is a great website with good tutorial videos. I'm not a fan of her cookie dough. Hands down, NFSC recipe here on CC! I like fondant on cookies or buttercream. Glace and RI is pretty yes, but I don't care for the taste at all. She has all the icing recipes on her site and shows you how to decorate a cookies 5 different way with those types of icing. Also she shows you cookies on a stick as well as the cookie bouqt.

Good luck!

Ash icon_lol.gif

candoo Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 7:30pm
post #12 of 14

It's for a friend of my best friend, so I'm not worried about copyright. The order is for April 16., so I should have time to get the cookie cutter that I need. I need all the advise I can get, so just keep it coming! Thank you ALL for all of your help so far!

makeminepink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makeminepink Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 7:43pm
post #13 of 14

If you're not afraid of the copyright thing then you are plenty talented enough to do cookies! I would also suggest fondant covered cookies and then decorate with another type icing. Have the fondant cutouts ready before you bake the cookies, bake them and then apply the fondant AS SOON as the cookies come out.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 8:00pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeysmokerton

Question for those who mentioned copyright infringement: You can make a licensed character cookie, you just can't sell it, right? What if she added the cost of the cookies to the cake and did the cookies as a "free" bonus? I'm just curious how strict the guidelines are. Thanks

Yes, copyright infringement is only if you make a profit on the copyrighted material.

Honestly, the "out" you mentioned is a gray area and I personally wouldn't go there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxymomma521

http://www.cakecentral.com/mod.....id=1552785
what if you just did the mickey silhouette dipped in chocolate like on this cake?

Just FYI, the Mickey silhouette is also copyrighted.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%