Is It Okay To Paint With Alcohol For Kids Cake!

Decorating By sugarxosugar143 Updated 16 May 2011 , 1:20pm by MCurry

sugarxosugar143 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarxosugar143 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 9:11pm
post #1 of 19

so i wanted to paint on my fondant but everyone says to use vodka or rum with the food coloring... my question is, Is it okay to use alcohal on a cake that kids will be eating?

18 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 9:13pm
post #2 of 19

Yes, it is okay to use alcohol on a cake that kids will be eating. Most of the alcohol evaporates, leaving behind the color (alcohol evaporates faster than water, which is why it is used, water evaporates so slowly it will make the fondant gummy). The tiny amount of alcohol left behind is less than the amount that is in the extracts in the icing.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 9:19pm
post #3 of 19

Vanilla and Lemon Extract have alcohol in them.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 10:08pm
post #4 of 19

I just use americolor brand gel colors straight out of the bottle to paint with, no need for alcohol or extract!

TexasSugar Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 10:15pm
post #5 of 19

I like their airbrush colors for painting myself. icon_smile.gif

cakerygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakerygirl Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 10:40pm
post #6 of 19

When I paint with gel colors I thin it out with a bit of vodka. Everclear also works, but I find it evaporates very quickly. If it does seem to become thick again, I will add a little more vodka. It is fine to put on cakes for kids because of how quickly it evaportes. Hopes this helps. icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 11:50pm
post #7 of 19

It evaporates very quickly so it's fine for serving children. Like TexasSugar said vanilla and lemon extract have alcohol.

KarmaStew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarmaStew Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 9:27am
post #8 of 19

Aw jeez.... cough medicine has more alcohol than what's left after evaporating.

MCurry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MCurry Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 12:24pm
post #9 of 19

You can. However, I typically use vanilla extract, almond extract or a mixture of sugar paste and hot water for glue. Recently I had a client ask me about the use of alcohol in cakes because someone was a recovering alcoholic. I made sure I did not use any for the glue as well as the cake and frosting. Just something to think about for future adult clients.

chellescountrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chellescountrycakes Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 1:00pm
post #10 of 19

I use the vodka, it hasnt affected my kids at all. The sugar still makes them bounce off the walls and they never pass out. icon_sad.gif LOL PLUS, when the kids are clammering to 'help' or give you ideas, or just being kids, things are going wrong, and you are ready to scream- it takes the edge off much quicker than wine.... icon_wink.gif

I like that it evaporates quickly, and dries faster. I think I will go with everclear next time though, get it to dry faster. Water doesnt work well at all IMO.

I've actually never had anyone even know how or what I used to paint with. there is no taste, and no smell.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 1:45pm
post #11 of 19

I always mix vodka with mine to paint, never leaves a taste...it evaporates so there is nothing left of it...also gives me a good excuse to have vodka in the house...just hard to explain why it's gone so quickly : D

TexasSugar Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 2:51pm
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCurry

You can. However, I typically use vanilla extract, almond extract or a mixture of sugar paste and hot water for glue. Recently I had a client ask me about the use of alcohol in cakes because someone was a recovering alcoholic. I made sure I did not use any for the glue as well as the cake and frosting. Just something to think about for future adult clients.

How did you flavor the cake and icing?

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 4:45pm
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Quote:

No Rum cake for YOU!
LOL.... I'm not sure how using a flavoring with alcohol would hurt someone's recovery. That's a new one on me icon_biggrin.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 8:38pm
post #14 of 19
Quote:

You do know that extracts contain alcohol, right?

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 9:31pm
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by chellebyerly

I use the vodka, it hasnt affected my kids at all. The sugar still makes them bounce off the walls and they never pass out. icon_sad.gif LOL PLUS, when the kids are clammering to 'help' or give you ideas, or just being kids, things are going wrong, and you are ready to scream- it takes the edge off much quicker than wine.... icon_wink.gif

I like that it evaporates quickly, and dries faster. I think I will go with everclear next time though, get it to dry faster. Water doesnt work well at all IMO.

I've actually never had anyone even know how or what I used to paint with. there is no taste, and no smell.

Wait, you decorate at my house? icon_wink.gificon_biggrin.gif

MCurry Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 6:49am
post #16 of 19

Vanilla extracts were fine with them but they were concerned about any other hidden alcohol i.e. vodka or other clear alcohol used. No complaints about the cake and they cake back for another order.

And for all the other follow up post; yes, I am aware that extracts do contain alcohol. If someone was overly concerned about that I would flavor the cake using zest or vanilla bean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Quote:

sugarxosugar143 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarxosugar143 Posted 16 May 2011 , 12:37pm
post #17 of 19

thanks everyone for all the responses!! icon_smile.gif Now my question is, even when i use the vodka it doesnt paint well, it still has the streaky look like water and gel color does when mixed...am i adding too much vodka or not enough??

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 16 May 2011 , 1:06pm
post #18 of 19

Actually, there are several lines of alcohol-free extracts/flavorings. Frontier is the one I use, not because it's alcohol-free, but because they are really intense, excellent flavors. The butterscotch is a-ma-zing. put it in your frosting/fondant and it will make the whole room smell like sugar and butter.

Though it is more of a concentrated syrupy texture. So you couldn't use it for painting.

MCurry Posted 16 May 2011 , 1:20pm
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarxosugar143

thanks everyone for all the responses!! icon_smile.gif Now my question is, even when i use the vodka it doesnt paint well, it still has the streaky look like water and gel color does when mixed...am i adding too much vodka or not enough??

Streaking has happened to me before as well so I would say too much vodka. It you let it sit for a few minutes it should thicken up a bit or add more dust to thicken up. Happy decorating!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%