Are These Worth $1.50? Please Be Honest

Baking By sweetcreationsbykimberly Updated 25 Mar 2010 , 12:07am by Evoir

sweetcreationsbykimberly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcreationsbykimberly Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 8:23pm
post #1 of 22

Since I am new to all this I am trying to price my products. I was asked today how much these would be. Do ya'll think $1.50 is fare? Thanks for helping me out. icon_biggrin.gif
LL

21 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 8:26pm
post #2 of 22

$1.50 is too little. What size are these cookies?

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 8:26pm
post #3 of 22

I don't do cookies like this, but I do know that some cookie-rs (if that's a word) price their cookies by the inch. So a 2" cookie is this price, a 3" cookie is a bit more, 4" are even more. And more detailed cookies drives up the cost.

If it were me, I would probably triple the price of the cost of my ingredients and call 'er good. However, that said, since I'm not a cookie-r then I could be off my mark.

Your cookies look very nice, too, btw. icon_smile.gif

awestervelt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awestervelt Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 8:27pm
post #4 of 22

How much did it cost you to make them? Make sure your getting enough to cover your time. Those are time consuming to do. icon_biggrin.gif

Kibosh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kibosh Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 8:27pm
post #5 of 22

Without knowing the actual dimensions,it's tough. However, I would pay 1.50 for those. Maybe even 2.00 depending on size.

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 8:28pm
post #6 of 22

cute, cute, cute!!

cakelady1958 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady1958 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 8:31pm
post #7 of 22

Yes I'd pay $1.50 for those.

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 8:41pm
post #8 of 22

Ok - so I had a melt down about pricing last night & prterrell came to the rescue. There are so many shapes, sizes, and designs it's easy to get turned around.

Prterrell explained the $1 per inch charge plus the upcharge for intricate decoration. It helped me to know what was considered a simple design. As prterrell explained - a cookie flooded/covered with 1 color and then piping that amounts to no more than a couple seconds for details.

That sounded like it made sense to me. So, according to these guides, if this cookie is 3 inches, it would be $3.00. Assuming your details didn't take much time to add on, a decorator would call it a simple design and not charge for extensive detailing.

That being said, people charge all kinds of things for these cookies. Check online AND...the big one is, check locally. Even if you price yourself at the top of the local market, assuming that's your target, just stick to your guns if you feel your worth it. I am new too at it. I have sent out a few quotes that would be considered low & haven't heard anything back. I'm just assuming I have not tapped into the people who will buy them. I gotta take samples to different places.

Collect some info & trust your gut. icon_smile.gif It's a nightmare if you don't. I definitely would pay $1.50. Knowing these are homemade I could see paying $2.50 with out feeling bad. Maybe a bit more, if I had money in the budget. Keep in mind, our local grocery store charges $1.40 for gross cut outs. icon_smile.gif

cakeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 9:01pm
post #9 of 22

This cookie is going for 5.00, and that's proably not enough. I know it's hard, but there are plenty of people that appriciate paying for a good quality product.

A good rule of measure, as stated prior, is to charge by the inch, and then add based on the design.

Good luck and happy baking,

cakeymom
LL

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 9:03pm
post #10 of 22

cakeymom, can I borrow your idea........those are adorable!!!!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 9:04pm
post #11 of 22

Wow! those Easter basket cookie pops are gorgeous! $5.00 each is a steal! I love the idea of turning the "egg" shaped cutter into a basket. I'm totally gonna use this as a design inspiration for my sugar cookies for the church Easter egg hunt! icon_biggrin.gif

sweetcreationsbykimberly Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 9:16pm
post #12 of 22

Thanks for the info everyone. I was more refering to the quaility of work more then the size of the cookie. Sorry I should have stated that.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 9:26pm
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by GI

If it were me, I would probably triple the price of the cost of my ingredients and call 'er good. However, that said, since I'm not a cookie-r then I could be off my mark.

Cookies are cheaper than cake to make. It's the time they take that adds up icon_biggrin.gif

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 9:28pm
post #14 of 22

i just wanted to drop you a note letting you know how cute your cookies are.

-Debbie B.

GI Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 9:37pm
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by GI

Cookies are cheaper than cake to make. It's the time they take that adds up icon_biggrin.gif

Me bad! icon_biggrin.gificon_lol.gif That's why I'm not a cookie-r! thumbs_up.gif (I'll eat 'em, tho!heh heh)

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 10:52pm
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas_Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by GI

Absolutely! The "ingredients times three" theory is bunk.

Here's a thread where the CC'er did a "times 3" cost comparison. I think you'll find it very enlightening: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=6475557#6475557

The problem with "ingredients times 3" is that ingredients are not your BIGGEST expense.

See my post on page 11 of this thread where I compare selling cakes to selling spatulas: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=664395&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=spatulas&&start=150

Last time I did a cost analysis on these cookies, my cost for 1 dozen NFSC on a stick was about $1.25 a dozen. Are you guys telling me that you think I should charge only $3.75 for a DOZEN cut out decorated cookies?

I hope that's not the advice you're giving other bakers .... unless your intent is to run them out of business FAST. icon_eek.gif

GI Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 10:55pm
post #17 of 22

Naa, I would never expect that! icon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gif

cjford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cjford Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 11:32pm
post #18 of 22

To the OP...your cookies are very nice. I think you're cheating yourself by only charging $1.50. Call around locally, especially if you have a Cookies by Design...I was SHOCKED at the price I was quoted for 3-4 inch cookies with a simple design, in a box...$6.77 EACH!!! I could have hit the floor...I don't live in a big time city...I'm in Baton Rouge, LA.

cookie_me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookie_me Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 11:53pm
post #19 of 22

CBD here in florida get $6.50 each for 4" cutout pop. I think yours are great (how do they taste), I'm willing to taste them, yumm) do a little research in your area once you put your price out is not easy to change.

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 11:56pm
post #20 of 22

OP - I think the actual cookie is cute. You executed them nicely. Looks like you took your time with them. I would never say you were a beginner. So, just based what I see when I look at them - I would buy them for sure at $1.50 each. If they tasted fabulous, and I'm sure they do, I'd pay more.

Cakeymom - LOVE those baskets! Very pretty & unusual to see a basket done on a cookie. Neat idea.

Oh yeah - Cookies by Design charges a pretty penny for those cookies! I personally don't care for the taste but the designs are really fun...

sweetcreationsbykimberly Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 12:04am
post #21 of 22

Thanks for all the nice words about the cookies. I don't have anyone to compare prices to other then walmart. I live in a very rural area. I do not know of anyone around who does this. To me the work on this cookie is basic. I do plan on charging more if there was more involved. And thats what I tell everyone who has asked how much my cookies are. I tell them I do not have one set price. It all depends on the size and what is involved in the design.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 12:07am
post #22 of 22

I could not make them for $1.50 each. My time is too expensive.

They're cute...remember not to go into this business undercutting your competition - you will end up resenting the underpaid work you do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%