Am I The Only One Not In Love With The Cricut On Cake?

Decorating By allthehobbies Updated 24 Mar 2010 , 11:28pm by tiggy2

allthehobbies Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 7:31pm
post #1 of 7

Don't get me wrong, I love the look and the uniformity it provides, and I absolutely love it for scrapbooking. But while I was watching Ultimate Cake-Off on Monday, I was thinking what Margret said before she even said it! I loved the cake, so this is by no means a knock on the specific cake from the show, but just in general, I was thinking that IMO, the Cricut can be overused lately.

By no means do I have the ability to make the kinds of cakes that would win competitions, but what I do make, I am proud of because I created it by hand and I know what skills and techniques and time went into it.

I'm just wondering how other people feel about this, I've read so much on CC about uses for the Cricut and how they're coming out with the Cricut Cake and everything, but I've never heard anyone else who feels like I do, and I'm just starting to wonder if I'm the only one!

6 replies
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 7:35pm
post #2 of 7

I do agree that the Cricut can be overused on a cake, but if you're able to decorate using a good balance of techniques, I think it's a great addition to our tool boxes.

I'll bet people said the same thing when the airbrush machine came out. . .

AKS Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 7:57pm
post #3 of 7

Good point about the airbrush, Rose. I also think that it is a good tool to have in the arsenal. When you think about it, the cricut is only used for things that you probably can't pipe, but would use other tools for i.e.: damask stencils, tappit molds for different fonts, patchwork cutters, etc, and is more convenient. When you listen to someone like Margaret Braun, you have to remember that she is an artist (the kind with paintbrushes LOL), so she may have a different take on things. Don't get me wrong-she's amazing. I just think she's coming from a different artistic perspective. Notice that Leigh, who also runs a cake shop, but on the administrative side, had no problem with it. Just an observation. My whole point is that if someone is against the cricut they should also re-examine their point of view on the airbrush, cutters, stencils, molds and things like that. JMHO. icon_smile.gif

dalis4joe Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 8:32pm
post #4 of 7

as an FYI:

You can ALSO use the cricut with your own art.... if you sketch your cakes.. and you upload it to your computer... you can pretty much print... your design... so that it's still your own work.... I think it's a great new tool... hey like it was stated before... I see it as a good tool for details on the cake... just like adding a sugar veil design that you did with a silicone embosser... etc...

I plan on using it with my own drawings, art work, scroll designs, etc, things that I have designed myself... no copy paste... original work... I have great things on paper that I know would be possible to incorporate on a cake only by using this tool....

HTH you to try and see this from another perspective... Happy Caking!

Sassy74 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 10:15pm
post #5 of 7

I don't understand all the hoopla either. I say that, however, not being a scrapbooker, and never having used a Cricut. I think I have a basic understanding of how it's used in caking, though, and I still don't see the great advantage. I do know that the machine can be very expensive, and the cutters (not even sure if that's what they're called) are very expensive. I know it's not worth the investment for me. Obviously, others don't feel this way lol!

The cakes I've seen that were done using the Cricut all look great, but the designs look like something that could prolly be done with a stencil or cutter set (for a lot less money).

Again, this is just my opinion, and I offer it knowing that I'm pretty clueless about the machine, LOL!

peg818 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 11:09pm
post #6 of 7

well, i do think the cricut has its place. And I also think it can be a great savings with cutters, If you have priced cutters recently you will see that you get a set for anywhere from 15-60plus dollars and they only cut one size, with the cricut you buy the cartridge for 20-90 dollars and it cuts a variety of sizes to suit all your needs it also cuts several designs.

That being said the basic cricut can be picked up for right around $100 and comes with a cart, this is what i bought so that i can play with it and see if this is something that would be worth using on a regular basis.

tiggy2 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 11:28pm
post #7 of 7

I don't see any difference using it then using cutters, molds, stencils, etc. Unless you "free hand" everything it really isn't completely your own hand work IMO. You really don't have to buy any cartridges, just the one that comes with it then use software to manipulate and size images from your computer and internet. Any thing that can be donw with the machine can be done by hand, however it will take much longer and may not be uniform in size.

Quote by @%username% on %date%