Seems So Simple (Making Planets Out Of Fondant Help!)...

Decorating By confectionsofahousewife Updated 25 Mar 2010 , 1:20am by PinkZiab

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 6:48pm
post #1 of 9

I want to make some planets out of fondant to go on cupcakes for a birthday this weekend. I would like to put a ring around the planet. What do you think the best way would be to attach a fondant ring around a small fondant planet (smaller than a golf ball)? I am envisioning wrapping a fondant strip that I have extruded around the fondant ball but don't know how to make it stay in place/ hold its shape while it dries. Thoughts? Thanks!

8 replies
AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 7:28pm
post #2 of 9

Hopefully this'll make sense-it's the only thing I can think of and what I'd do. Take a large piece of foil and fold it in half. Then take the fondant planet (without rings) and make an indentation in the foil with it about 1/2 way up-just under where the ring would be. This will become your former. Make your strip/ring and attach to the planet with a small amount of water. Place the whole thing in the former you just made. The ring should have a ledge of foil to rest on. Good luck.

confectionsofahousewife Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 8:05pm
post #3 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKS

Hopefully this'll make sense-it's the only thing I can think of and what I'd do. Take a large piece of foil and fold it in half. Then take the fondant planet (without rings) and make an indentation in the foil with it about 1/2 way up-just under where the ring would be. This will become your former. Make your strip/ring and attach to the planet with a small amount of water. Place the whole thing in the former you just made. The ring should have a ledge of foil to rest on. Good luck.

Good idea! I have been wracking my brain trying to think of something I have that the planets could rest in while the rings dry but I can't think of anything. My flower formers aren't deep enough. Foil it is!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 8:20pm
post #4 of 9

When I had to make a solar system cake two weeks ago I wanted all of the planets hanging on wires off the cake. For Saturn, I made a ball of fondant in the size I wanted, then cut that ball in half. I then cut an appropriately size circle out of contrasting fondant. I let them all dry (although really, only the circle needs to dry) and glued the balls onto the disc the next morning.

confectionsofahousewife Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 8:27pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

When I had to make a solar system cake two weeks ago I wanted all of the planets hanging on wires off the cake. For Saturn, I made a ball of fondant in the size I wanted, then cut that ball in half. I then cut an appropriately size circle out of contrasting fondant. I let them all dry (although really, only the circle needs to dry) and glued the balls onto the disc the next morning.

Oooh that's a good idea too! How did you cut the fondant balls in half without misshaping them?

candoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candoo Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 8:30pm
post #6 of 9

Cut circles out of fondant, like polkadots. Then cut the centers out with a smaller circle. Now you have flat rings- these can be made different sizes. Let them dry. Make your planet ball just large enough that when you place the ring over it, the planet does not allow the ring to fall , but holds it in place b/c the ring opening is just a bit smaller that the largest part of the planet. Does that make any kind of sense to you?? I'm not sure how good I am at explaining! lol!

monet1895 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monet1895 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 8:32pm
post #7 of 9

You could form your halves in a tablespoon, and then you wouldn't have to mess w/ cutting them in half. Saw someone that used this method for egg yolks and it turned out great!

candoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candoo Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 8:39pm
post #8 of 9

Check out my Buzz Lightyear cake in my gallery- I made lots of planets for it. Maybe it will help.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 1:20am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by confectionsofahousewife

How did you cut the fondant balls in half without misshaping them?

A very sharp xacto blade

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%