Dry Hard Cake.

Decorating By jayshunnie22 Updated 25 Mar 2010 , 5:16am by prterrell

jayshunnie22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayshunnie22 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 4:40pm
post #1 of 5

could fondant suck moisture out of a cake or was it just a bad cake recipe? (it was new) even when you put a fondant covered cake in the fridge (sliced open) its still not suppose to take moisture from the cake right? p.s my mom put it in the fridge,i told her she didnt have to icon_surprised.gif

4 replies
CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 4:52pm
post #2 of 5

Fondant does the opposite, it holds moisture in .
How long was it in the fridge, overnight or for a few days?
A fridge will dry your cake out but not overnight and covered in fondant ,it had to be the new recipe.
Either try it again or find a new one. Sorry about that.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 6:57pm
post #3 of 5

Did you/she eat the cake while it was still cold? If so, that will make it seem dry. Bring it to room temp and it won't taste dry.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 5:07am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayshunnie22

..even when you put a fondant covered cake in the fridge (sliced open) its still not suppose to take moisture from the cake right?

Not covering a sliced cake is just the same as not covering bread and putting it in the 'fridge - not a good idea. icon_sad.gif

But you can cut off the exposed portions, and the remainder should be fine. (Just be sure to wrap it well - if there's a perishable filling. Otherwise, just covered on the counter is fine.)

HTH

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 5:16am
post #5 of 5

Oooh! Good catch Jan! I didn't see that in the OP. Yes, the exposed portion MUST be covered with plastic wrap or it will dry out. This goes for any cake, fondant covered or not, refrigerated or not.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%