Is There A Trick To Flat Fondant Coverings?

Decorating By sprinkles4all Updated 24 Mar 2010 , 4:36pm by sprinkles4all

sprinkles4all Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:57pm
post #1 of 3

Hello there ladies. I am going to cover my 3rd cake in fondant, but i was hoping to get your help first. Is there a trick to getting the fondant to lay flat? I can get the top great but then the sides drape- last one i ended up just smooshing the overlapping into itself and trying to smooth out- then covering with dots. Good thing it was for my 5 yrear old! And the first cake was a monster so it looked great draped. Could i be making it to big or is there a way i should cut before applying the fondant to the dirty icing on the sides... if you have a suggestion on tried secret please -do tell!

2 replies
Caths_Cakes Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 4:07pm
post #2 of 3

You need to make sure your fondant is big enough to cover the cake, But not so big that its going to tear its self down with the extra weight. The trick with the pleating is to keep on sort of . . pulling and smoothing your fondant down, its weird to explain but ive found some videos that might be more helpful, I had trouble with the creasing it at first, but once you know how to do it, its easy to work round it.

Everyone does it differently, it in the 2nd video she covers her cake with piping gel, i do not do this, i dont see any need for it, You just need to make sure you buttercream is slightly tacky so that they fondant will stick.

Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

sprinkles4all Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 4:36pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you Caths Cakes for you quick response!

I watched all 3 of the videos- thank you. I do see everyone does it a little different. I do think I need to go slower, start from the top of the sides. I will let ya know how it works out!!!
Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%