Questions For Ultimate Cake Competitors

Decorating By -Tubbs Updated 1 Apr 2010 , 3:36pm by KimAZ

The_Lil_Cakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 1:48am
post #31 of 41

Sharon, Kim, Deli, Denise, Jennifer, (If I missed anyone It was not on purpose) It is so sweet that you guys come in here and answer all the questions us non-competitors have!!!! You guys are awesome!!!!

-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 3:30pm
post #32 of 41

Yes, thanks to all for sharing. I've really enjoyed hearing about it, and it's made me wonder about a lot of the other food shows we see. It seems it really is all about the drama and the editing.

Sounds like everyone who took part greatly enjoyed it and would do it again given the chance. I am deeply impressed with anyone who can handle that kind of pressure. Great job to all thumbs_up.gif

WeDoCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WeDoCakes Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 8:26pm
post #33 of 41

Hi, Marsha Winbeckler here.

Roland and I have been on Ultimate Cake Off both seasons. (Our latest episode airs April 5.)

They've improved several things this second season--including letting the teams keep their chef jackets.

We haven't found the bump on the ramp to be a big problem, because the structures for our cakes are very secure.

Sharon is right, the production part of the show takes a lot of time away for all team members with questions about how things were done (or could you redo that), but especially for the challenger for the skills test, tasting challenge, and results for each. The amount of time away hasn't been quite as long as Sharon experienced, but still considerable.

Sharon, you mentioned they "tried" to get you to make changes a few days before taping--did you refuse?

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 7:03pm
post #34 of 41

let's just say I put a firm limit on what I would and would not do.

The_Lil_Cakehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 11:07pm
post #35 of 41

I just thought of a question, how do they select the "client" for the episodes? Like the Sweet Sixteen girl......

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 11:36pm
post #36 of 41

I don't know the answer to that one but it's predetermined by the producers I'd imagine as to who the client will be and whatever event the cake is for has to be the day after the show is taped so the winning cake can be transported there.

KimAZ

Motorhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Motorhead Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 1:04pm
post #37 of 41

awesome guys! thanks so much for answering the burning questions! i love to watch the challenges! thought a lot was made for tv drama...that's what makes it so great!! i'm curious, do the judges interfer alot? or offer suggestions? or do they just monitor and take notes? icon_lol.gif

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 1:41pm
post #38 of 41

This is one GREAT thread! Thanks to all of you great cakers for answering our questions - always wondered about: the ramp, hot lights, prep time, etc. and here's one more - who does your make-up? I assume the studio must, yet there are some pretty distinct differences. Does everyone sparkle a little because of all the glitter/luster dust in the air or is it your natural pixy dust personalitlies?

Tiffany0481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tiffany0481 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 2:09pm
post #39 of 41

WOW .. what interesting info. I watch UCO every Monday night when I am at the gym (if it is on, of course). I LOVE IT!! I had some of the same questions and thought the same thing about the dramatic "bump" ... hehe. Thank you all for sharing. I am no where near an expert but I think it would be so much fun to be on the show someday!!

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 2:13pm
post #40 of 41

Thanks to the OP for the idea and to the competitors that were very nice to give their answers.

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 3:36pm
post #41 of 41

Gosh, I don't mean to be a thread hog by answering so much. I know there are several other UCO competitiors here at CC too.

But since I'm here... icon_biggrin.gif

The judges do come into each kitchen quite a lot, yes. They ask a lot of questions of the lead decorator from each team as to what people are working on, how much time it might take to do something, if the team is on schedule or behind, etc, etc. The do make suggestions but I don't believe a lot of plans are changed to what they might suggest since we all know our design and are not going to change from that once time starts.

The lead from each team gets taken out of their kitchens twice. Once for the skills challenge and once for the taste taste. Each of which can be from 20-30 min at least.

Each person does their own hair and make up. There is a make up/hair person for the judges though. Our team leader was wearing a hat just before the time started and the producers didn't like that so they made her take it off and had their hair person whip her hair up into a high ponytail.

Hope that helps answer a few more!
KimAZ

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%