Can I Make Gold Frosting??

Decorating By mascrupp Updated 24 Mar 2010 , 9:21pm by slimkim

mascrupp Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:03pm
post #1 of 6

I was just wondering if there is a way to make gold frosting?? I am doing a buttercream wedding cake but they want gold scroll work on it.....what would be the best way to do this?? Thanks so much! icon_smile.gif
Melinda

5 replies
lanana Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:36pm
post #2 of 6

I also have a request of a butter cream cake and they want it all gold!! can I air brush gold paint on a butter cream cake? Does any one has tried this?
thanks

leily Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:37pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascrupp

I was just wondering if there is a way to make gold frosting?? I am doing a buttercream wedding cake but they want gold scroll work on it.....what would be the best way to do this?? Thanks so much! icon_smile.gif
Melinda

If you're looking for a true gold color I suggest using gold luster dust mixed with vodka (which evaporates) and paint it on.

leily Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:38pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanana

I also have a request of a butter cream cake and they want it all gold!! can I air brush gold paint on a butter cream cake? Does any one has tried this?
thanks

I have not done gold, but I have done silver. I suggest buying the airbrush color already mixed, if you try to mix luster dust it may clump up and cause issues in your airbrush.

Bettycrockermommy Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 4:18pm
post #5 of 6

mascrupp, Americolor has gold that I use to color my icing. I would use that to color the icing for your scrolls and then paint with luster dust to get a bright gold color.

slimkim Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 9:21pm
post #6 of 6

Yah I would use the americolor gold then airbrush with either gold airbrush or pearl to give it a metalic color. good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%