Glowing Buttercream Under Black Lights????

Decorating By dguerrant Updated 25 Mar 2010 , 3:14am by dguerrant

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 1:49pm
post #1 of 7

I've been asked about a cake that will flouresce (spelling??) in black lights and don't have a clue. Does regular buttercream tinted in neon colors glow in black lights? If you have the answer, i'd love to know, if not, i'm off to buy a black light and experiment. Thanks for the help icon_smile.gif

6 replies
luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 2:05pm
post #2 of 7

Don't most white things glow in black light? Such a funny request!

PTBUGZY1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PTBUGZY1 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 2:11pm
post #3 of 7

I saw this on a cake challenge once, and it was discussed on here afterwards. The glow in the dark effect was done by "The cake girls". Maybe you could search the forums. sorry I couldn't be more help.

JawdroppingCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JawdroppingCakes Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 2:13pm
post #4 of 7

I actually saw a cake done by Lisa540 that was a ghostbuster cake I believe and she used glowing piping gel for the slime. I asked how she made it so that I could give it a try and it did not work for me but she tried her best to help me out with my questions but for some reason I guess I just had a bad batch. She told me to use a 1:1 ratio of tonic water with piping gel. You heat it up together until it is mixed together well and then you sprinkle a little bit of sugar and use almost a whole packet of gelatin to thicken it up and you stir constantly and then you let it cool. Then you pipe it on our pour it on and when you put a blck light against it it glows. Look at her cake an she shows where it is glowing. I hope this helps.

JawdroppingCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JawdroppingCakes Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 2:15pm
post #5 of 7

I forgot to mention that the tonic water needs to say that it contains Quinine, that is what makes it glow.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 7:06pm
post #6 of 7

No, the neon colors will not flouresce under black lights.

Here's a link to a thread that discussed this very issue which contains a (long) post in which I explain how all of this works and how to acheive the flourescing.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-655941-black.html+light

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 3:14am
post #7 of 7

thanks so much for the help, at least i now have some info to get started with, also reading the old posts were a huge help too! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%