Flowers Spikes - Please Help!!

Decorating By cupcakeshelley Updated 24 Mar 2010 , 8:18pm by cupcakeshelley

cupcakeshelley Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 1:42pm
post #1 of 5

Hi - I know this may seem a silly question, but here goes!
When you insert flower spikes in cakes (for wires to go into) do you insert the plastic spike into the cake and fondant icing whilst it is fresh and soft or do you insert when the fondant has set harder?
I apologise to all expert cake decorator for such a novice question, but would really like to get it right first time. Thanks Shell x

4 replies
luddroth Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 2:08pm
post #2 of 5

I think if the fondant is very fresh, it will be fine unless your spike is tilted and the arrangement is off-center balance. The soft fondant won't offer much support, so you would depend on the cake itself to hold the flowers. If the fondant is very dry -- days old, it could conceivably crack. I think you'll be ok if you let it stand for a few hours before you place the flowers.

Bluehue Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:05pm
post #3 of 5

I insert mine after i have covered it with Ganache -
Gently push it down until it is *just* above the top of the cake...just a fraction.
Then cover my cake with my Regalice (type of Fondant) - say 1/4 inch thick.
If you run your finger over the center of the cake you will be able to just feel it.
Insert your first wire - then you will know where to insert the rest.
That way you won't have any unsightly dents in the top of your cake from where you have pushed down on the flower spike/pick.

Lyndseyb52 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:15pm
post #4 of 5

I'd push them in before the fondant sets to save it cracking.

But if it's on the side and you think the weight of your flowers may make it fall down, you could always make the hole with the spike.. let it set and then push it in afterwards.

Good luck

Lyndsey xx

cupcakeshelley Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 8:18pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks guys. I will do it while the fondant is fresh. Thanks for all your advice. Shell x x

Quote by @%username% on %date%