What Is The Name Of The Cutting System Used On Ultimate Cake

Decorating By TheCornerBakery Updated 5 Apr 2010 , 12:38am by JenniferAtwood

Bannette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bannette Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 4:36am
post #31 of 47

]

I was going to say the same thing. I actually had the honor of taking a Cricut bridal cake class from Martha and Becky in Austin. We used two Expressions and two Cakes and, although the Expression takes a little more work, the results were the same. Here are pictures of my end result plus one with 10 of our 16 cakes. As far as Margaret's comment goes, I am a big fan of hers, but saying that using a Cricut is not using your hands is cr%@![/quote]

Just wondering during the class. What medium did they use. I have been using gumpaste but I can't get it to look as neat on my mat as she did. I wondered if they were using Image paper instead or how they get it on the mat so neat.

Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 5:05am
post #32 of 47

I personally don't think $60 is high for a cartridge. I have paid $50 for cutters and then $50 for the veiner's for flowers. I think that there are so many designs on each cartridge that $60 is pretty cheap considering I have molds/veiners/cutters that I have paid big bucks for and then have never used!

I have 2 cartridges...one that it came with and one that I bought. I doubt I will hop up and buy multiple cartridges but there are some fonts I'd like to have.

I originally bought the Cricut 2 years ago to cut stencils for my cakes! Specifically names. So fonts really interest me.

I can see where I will use the Cricut for many things but it will never replace many of my hand piped or pressed lace designs. It is just simply another tool to please my customers - and make me money!

Bfisher2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bfisher2 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 5:14am
post #33 of 47

Denise.... Marthas was my personal pick... I loooooove that cake.... its a masterpiece.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 5:17am
post #34 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bannette

]

I was going to say the same thing. I actually had the honor of taking a Cricut bridal cake class from Martha and Becky in Austin. We used two Expressions and two Cakes and, although the Expression takes a little more work, the results were the same. Here are pictures of my end result plus one with 10 of our 16 cakes. As far as Margaret's comment goes, I am a big fan of hers, but saying that using a Cricut is not using your hands is cr%@!

I was in that class, Bannette. Wasn't it great? thumbs_up.gif I posted one of the class photos on the first page ...

Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 5:33am
post #35 of 47

Thanks BFisher. We deeply appreciate your support. While we would have liked to have won, we were happy for Julie and her team. They were very nice people and such a pleasure to be around.

I have been a fan of The House of Clarendon for a long time so meeting Julie was a treat. She is a lovely person and was very warm and easy to be around. I hope to see her again soon.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 1:07pm
post #36 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by FierceConfections

I think the Cricut can help create some beautiful, flawless designs. However, you're not going to win any competitions with them because, literally, anyone can do it with a little bit of practice. So, I can see where Margaret was coming from. There's no real demonstration of skill or creativity (prefab design cartridges, etc.).

I agree...It has a place but the place isn't in a contest that's supposed to determine skill.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 2:14pm
post #37 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FierceConfections

I think the Cricut can help create some beautiful, flawless designs. However, you're not going to win any competitions with them because, literally, anyone can do it with a little bit of practice. So, I can see where Margaret was coming from. There's no real demonstration of skill or creativity (prefab design cartridges, etc.).

I agree...It has a place but the place isn't in a contest that's supposed to determine skill.

thumbs_up.gif Well said! thumbs_up.gif

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 3:59am
post #38 of 47

being an artist is one thing....some of us need a little help....icon_smile.gif

JenniferAtwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferAtwood Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 3:05am
post #39 of 47

They actually say they want you to be extreme. Use lots of tools, be Ultimate. We used the cricut in our episode, not because we couldn't have done it with cutters, by hand, etc....but because it was a new tool and pushed the limits.

costumeczar Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 12:54pm
post #40 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenniferAtwood

They actually say they want you to be extreme. Use lots of tools, be Ultimate. .

They should try an episode where they do an "Ultimate" cake totally by hand with no tools. No molds, no cutters, only piping bags and skill. THAT would show an ultimate cake skillz winner. They're going to push people into using more and more tools for the sake of ratings that they eventually push all organic skill out of it.

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 1:18pm
post #41 of 47

I don't think using the Cricut is "cheating"....someone told me once..."don't work harder....work SMARTER!" thumbs_up.gif

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 1:29pm
post #42 of 47
Quote:
Quote:

They should try an episode where they do an "Ultimate" cake totally by hand with no tools. No molds, no cutters, only piping bags and skill. THAT would show an ultimate cake skillz winner. They're going to push people into using more and more tools for the sake of ratings that they eventually push all organic skill out of it.

NOW this would make for a GREAT show!! thumbs_up.gif

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 4:17pm
post #43 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellbella

I don't think using the Cricut is "cheating"....someone told me once..."don't work harder....work SMARTER!" thumbs_up.gif

I see it as a time saver. It's just like using the SugarVeil system to do piping work. Is it cheating to use something like that? I don't think so. It simply saves you time and prevents carpal tunnel syndrome.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 4:32pm
post #44 of 47

Personally I think the machine is cool. but I kind of look at it like this...

I don't think young children in school should be allowed to use calculators until they actually know how to DO the math, and can prove that they can do it.

The professional decorators on Ultimate cake show KNOW how to do this stuff by hand, their skill in that department has been proven, therefore they are like seniors and should be allowed to use the machine for simplicity. If it was that big of a problem they should have asked her to do a quick demo that she KNEW how to do the cutting just as well. JMO

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 4:37pm
post #45 of 47

Time saver and cost effective! Sure it cost a good amount now but think of how much you will save without having to buy each and every cutter set you need.

costumeczar Posted 4 Apr 2010 , 5:13pm
post #46 of 47

I just do wedding cakes for the most part, so for me it isn't that much of a time-saver. By the time you roll the stupid gumpaste out thin enough, get it exactly right for the dryness, etc. it takes a good amount of time. If I did birthday cakes or other cakes that used a lot of print or pictures on them it might save some time, but for the amount that I use it, it's not going to be something that I rank up there with more useful tools.

I've been messing with it for the last few weeks, and I've written a few blog posts about the results. For the cake designs that I get orders for, it just isn't somethnig that I'll use a whole lot.

JenniferAtwood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferAtwood Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 12:38am
post #47 of 47

That's what is nice about the new cricut cake machine. You have more freedom with the thickness and drying time, also the material that is used.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%