What Is The Best Icing To Use Under Fondant?

Decorating By sunshinefred Updated 24 Mar 2010 , 5:28am by mamawrobin

sunshinefred Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 4:13am
post #1 of 6

Hi Guys!

I am new to CC and have just started using fondant to cover cakes. I just wanted your expert advice on what is the best thing to use under the fondant?

For my first go I used buttercream, but it wasn't crusting and when I was smoothing the fondant over it it slid down the cake quite a bit and was a bit smooshy, also had a little bit leak through some cracks in the fondant. I have seen the recipes for crusting buttercream, but cannot easily access some of the ingredients (Crisco, Dairy Whip) as I live in Australia.

SO I am wondering if I it is worth the effort and cost etc to source these American ingredients, or do I use something different, like ganache or a glaze?

Thanks so much for your advice! icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
prterrell Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 4:32am
post #2 of 6

I use IMBC under my fondant. I refrigerate the frosted cake until the icing has firmed up (hard, like a refrigerated stick of butter) and then put the fondant over that. It won't smoosh and slide because it is solid from being in the fridge.

You can use ganache or even fruit jam under fondant.

ladyk333 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 4:56am
post #3 of 6

HI! I'm newer to this as well, but have tried crusting buttercream (American version) and Swiss Meringue Buttercream (SMBC). I truly prefer the SMBC for its flavor and texture. I also put it in the fridge to firm up before using fondant, and it works really well. I live in northern Alberta, Canada, so it may be less humid and warm here! Depending on where in Australia you are, you may need to work in an air conditioned room. Heat and humidity can make things difficult when working with fondant (so I've heard - it's REALLY dry here!).

The recipe I used is on this website under "Most saved recipes". It's called "The Well Dressed Cake Swiss Meringue Buttercream" I believe. Just make sure you have a candy thermometer so that you get the egg white and sugar mixture to 160 degrees for food safety.

Good luck and have fun!

sunshinefred Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 5:24am
post #4 of 6

Thanks! How long does the BC take to firm up in the fridge (roughly)?

prterrell Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 5:25am
post #5 of 6

About an hour.

mamawrobin Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 5:28am
post #6 of 6

I prefer SMBC or ganache under fondant. They both set hard to give you a nice canvas for your fondant.

To answer your question, it doesn't take very long for it to set hard after you refrigerate it. Good luck and be sure and post pictures icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%