Recipe Question- Need Help Asap!

Baking By Lcubed82 Updated 7 Jul 2010 , 10:34pm by luv2bake6

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:08am
post #1 of 20

I am using the AllRecipes Soft sugar cookie V recipe, with alterations noted by cookiecrazie blog. However, I still get some spreading. Could I cut, or leave out altogether, the Baking Powder and Baking Soda?
She is not available, so I can't ask her (tear!).

19 replies
RachieRach Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RachieRach Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:15am
post #2 of 20

Not familar with this recipe. Have you tried putting the cut out cookies in the fridge for 5 or 10 minutes before baking?

monet1895 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monet1895 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:18am
post #3 of 20

Love her site! I've used that recipe before and it was great. did you lower the baking temp to 325? Did you try adding more flour?

Lcubed82 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:21am
post #4 of 20

Yes, I always do that. I know I have left the baking powder out of NFSC before, but that recipe doesn't use baking soda.

Lcubed82 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:22am
post #5 of 20

I do lower my oven, and I did add the 1/2 cup flour. Maybe I will add another 1/4 cup or so.

monet1895 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:36am
post #6 of 20

Yes, I should have specified as well. I meant more flour in addition to the 1/2 cup. I also think the first time I made these I added some cream of tartar, like 1 1/2 tsp b/c she commented on the All Recipes site that she had done that ( user name PSNEED5). I know she doesn't mention that on her blog, and I don't know if she still adds that or not. I made snowflakes and they turned out great...so hard to know if that made a difference or not?

So frustrating when the cookies spread! Good luck!

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:38am
post #7 of 20

Cream of tartar is used to react with baking soda as a leavening, so if you don't want them to "rise" that wouldn't be what would help I don't think? The recipe I use doesn't call for any baking powder or soda, and uses quite a bit of flour. I'd use the more flour low temp suggestions and see how it works for you icon_smile.gif

monet1895 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:47am
post #8 of 20

Also, what kind of sour cream did you use?

Lcubed82 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:59am
post #9 of 20

WM Great Value sour cream

globalgatherings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
globalgatherings Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 4:13am
post #10 of 20

I use that recipe and love it. I roll, cut and then refrigerate for 15mins,then bake. No spreading. For me I believe it's the refrigeration before I bake. I make sure the cookie is very firm to the touch before I bake it. Good luck thumbs_up.gif

Lcubed82 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 4:26am
post #11 of 20

Thanks everyone! I ended up using 5 cups flour , and 1/2 the baking powder and soda. Will be rolling out tomorrow, so we shall see! The dough is still nice and smooth, but holds in a ball very well.

monet1895 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 5:02am
post #12 of 20

Let us know how they turn out!

sweetcreationsbykimberly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcreationsbykimberly Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 2:35pm
post #13 of 20

I use this recipe as well. I do however add 1/4 cup pudding mix to mine. And I do put mine in the freezer for a bit before baking. I haven't had any problems with spreading untill this past Saturday. I am wondering if it had anything to do with the fact that it rained all day.

monet1895 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 7:37pm
post #14 of 20

Isn't it frustrating how fickle these cookies can be sometimes? UGH!

confectionsofahousewife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionsofahousewife Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 7:54pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcubed82

Thanks everyone! I ended up using 5 cups flour , and 1/2 the baking powder and soda. Will be rolling out tomorrow, so we shall see! The dough is still nice and smooth, but holds in a ball very well.

I use this one exclusively and I end up adding more flour than cookie crazie calls for. I add flour until my dough is almost crumbly but I can squish it together and it sticks (very technical icon_wink.gif ). For me, more flour equals less spreading especially with large cookies (like big squares or circles) with fewer details. For some reason, the big mass of dough in the center of a big cookie makes the cookie spread more. My smaller cookies with finer details don't spread at all. I also put mine in the freezer for 10-15 min. before putting in the oven.

Lcubed82 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 4:38am
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcubed82

I ended up using 5 cups flour , and 1/2 the baking powder and soda.

Finally got cookies rolled and baked today. Came out nicely firm and virtually no spreading. Still soft in the middle.

singleagain Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
singleagain Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 7:03pm
post #17 of 20

I read somewhere, I can't remember where but this lady would roll her cookies out the cut them out, THEN place them in the fridge to get cold then would cook them

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 8:36pm
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by singleagain

I read somewhere, I can't remember where but this lady would roll her cookies out the cut them out, THEN place them in the fridge to get cold then would cook them

I do that, too. I make the dough and roll it between sheets of wax paper. Then into the fridge for a few hours (or overnight). Then I cut them and put them back in the fridge for 15-20 minutes while the oven gets up to temp...

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 8:51pm
post #19 of 20

I used this recipe from AllRecipes and love it! http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/The-Best-Rolled-Sugar-Cookies/Detail.aspx

But I definitely refrigerate the dough for at least a half hour before rollling, and I roll relatively thickly (just under 1/4") and then put them back into the fridge for 20 minutes before baking.

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 7 Jul 2010 , 10:34pm
post #20 of 20

I prepare a lot of cookie dough at a time and either refrigerate or freeze it. That way, i'm working with cold dough and never had a need to chill after cutting the shapes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%