Ok, I Surrender!

Decorating By cownsj Updated 25 Mar 2010 , 2:57pm by cownsj

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:01am
post #1 of 39

I'm just feeling a little frustrated. Is it only "pretty" and "cute" cakes that people comment on? I posted a cake we did this weekend for a 10 year old boy who was having a Fear Factor themed birthday party. The cake he wanted was a toxic waste can dumped over and spilling the toxic waste. He wanted it to be a little gross, but not too gross.

I think we did a pretty good job on this cake. We were happy with it, and more important than anything else, the birthday boy absolutely adored the cake. He even got the idea of the darker brown grass being dead, then it getting lighter til it was eventually green meant it was further away from the toxic waste. His loving his cake really is the most important thing, but I felt proud posting in on here.

I thought the photo would be intriguing enough for people to want to click on it to see what it was, but only 88 people since Sat, and not a single comment. I really don't think we did a bad job on the cake, and it certainly isn't intended to be cute or pretty. Am I expecting too much? Ok, done venting now, thanks for reading; I'm off to bed.

38 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 4:07am
post #2 of 39

Well, I, for one, rarely look at any of the pics in the gallery. I pretty much use the forums and that's it. Also, there are literally hundreds of new cakes posted every day, resulting in each one only showing up on the home page for a moment or two. Don't worry. One day someone is going to be looking through the galleries for a cake just like the one you made and will find it and save it to their favorites and everything.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 4:46am
post #3 of 39

I have made lots of cakes that I think deserve views or comments, but alas, they don't get them.... I'm often shocked at what does receive 150 faves, though. But it really depends on who's looking, when you post, etc...

I'm often to busy to view cakes daily, but I try and view and comment on ones that catch my eye as often as I can -at least 3X a week. I'm sure you did a fab job, but it's probably not something I would have clicked on -no offense meant. It's just personal preference/taste- hard to say what it is that makes someone click on a cake. It's very subjective. But I guess some cakes just have that certain 'curb appeal' that attracts the common denominator. icon_smile.gif

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 4:50am
post #4 of 39

I totally understand your frustration. I go thru some of the albums here and see lots of comments, hundreds of favs and thousands of views while mine have a couple of comments, might, eventually, make it up to a few hundred views with 10 favs at the very most. In my own private world people go crazy for what I make but they don't seem to get the notice I'd like on here. I've often thought of disabling the comments part of my album but I figure someday someone might actually comment on one of them and give me a momentary boost...so I leave it alone. In the meantime I enjoy the learning I'm doing here and how my work is growing by leaps and bounds. (((HUGS)))) it's rough on the ego I know.

Cat

Sagebrush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sagebrush Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 5:58am
post #5 of 39

I think most people look at/favorite/comment on cakes that they are likely to end up doing themselves. I've seen some fabulous cakes that just aren't something I'd ever have a reason to do.

Also, as someone else mentioned, there are tons of new photos posted each day. I posted my first picture lately, and was looking at other new photos roughly a day later, and I counted 23 pages of new photos since mine. There's 30 photos on each page of the newest pictures, so that works out to 690 pictures posted in a 24 hour period.

Some people try to look through the new photos, but how often do you have time to look through ALL 500-800 posted in a single day. When I try, I usually end up opening less than 10 per page... I just can't spend the time to do each and every one.

I really think that getting lots of favorites on a photos is a viral thing... let me see if I can explain:

Many people (or during busy times) only look through the most favorited photos of the day... it's a smaller # of pictures to look through, but it's less convenient because you can only do so through the scroll bar on the front page. It only takes 1 person favoriting a photo to get it into the most saved of the day list... but about half the photos on that list only have one. You have to scroll really far to get to the end, so not a whole lot of people make it all the way to the end of that list. A second favorite will therefore bump a picture about half way up through the most favorited list, and every favorite bumps it closer to the front. The closer it is to the front, the more people see it (because it takes less time scrolling to get to it), and therefore the more favorites it gets, and again, the farther up it gets bumped and the more people see it. By the time it gets to the top 6 and is there for everyone to view who opens the front page.

Hope that helps!

sheena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheena Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 6:22am
post #6 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesrock

I have made lots of cakes that I think deserve views or comments, but alas, they don't get them.... I'm often shocked at what does receive 150 faves, though. But it really depends on who's looking, when you post, etc...

Ditto!

All I can say is that each of us should do our bit - do unto others as you would have them do unto you but do not expect the same person to return a favour / compliment.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 6:34am
post #7 of 39

I try to leave as many comments a day as I can............so yes I get your frustration when its never reciprocated.....but I am convinced that there too many new cakes and I guess mine are either missed or non interesting lol who knows......I am gonna go check out your cake now.

jayne1873 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayne1873 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 8:51am
post #8 of 39

I vary rarely get comments on my cakes so maybe people dont think they are any good but hey the recipiants love them and I love making them so thats all that counts really icon_smile.gif

cownsj Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 2:20pm
post #9 of 39

Thanks everyone. And yes, I understand what you're saying about how many photos are posted each day and then how it works with the favorites bringing it more attention. Makes alot of sense. I really appreciate the feedback on here, and it was very kind of many of you who did go and post a comment. I really wasn't fishing for that, well, in a way I guess maybe, but mostly just trying to understand whether it was the type of cake. And it looks like, to some extent, that that probably is the case as well. I'm feeling better about it, and I appreciate what everyone has had to say. CC's are a wonderful group of people.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 2:39pm
post #10 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by cownsj

We were happy with it, and more important than anything else, the birthday boy absolutely adored the cake. He even got the idea of the darker brown grass being dead, then it getting lighter til it was eventually green meant it was further away from the toxic waste. His loving his cake really is the most important thing, but I felt proud posting in on here.

...and there it is. All the validation you need.

cownsj Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 2:52pm
post #11 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

...and there it is. All the validation you need.

You are so right jammjenks!

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 2:57pm
post #12 of 39

I "skip over" cakes for a few main reasons (and I'm guessing many other CCers are similar!):

1. It is a cake design I have seen 100 times before, so I don't think it has anything new to show me. (Someone's Thomas the Tank Engine cake may be terrific, but if on the thumbnail picture it looks like everyone else's Thomas the Tank Engine cake, I'm not going to click on it.)

2. Poor picture -- dark or too "wide angle" a shot so that I don't think I'll see the details, etc.

3. (AND THIS IS THE BIGGIE) I don't think I will ever personally USE that photo as a reference for cakes I think I might make myself, in the future. So if I don't think I will ever be called upon to make a toxic waste dump cake, I'm not likely to click on a picture of one. Doesn't mean it isn't a fabulous cake; just that I have no personal interest. Because time is limited, I can only view a certain limited subset of the 1,000s of pics on CC, so I MUST make choices.

Your cake is great -- don't get discouraged (or assume it has anything to do with your cake's quality) if it doesn't get much measurable attention. Just keep on cakin'! icon_smile.gif

cownsj Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:02pm
post #13 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by endymion

I "skip over" cakes for a few main reasons (and I'm guessing many other CCers are similar!):

1. It is a cake design I have seen 100 times before, so I don't think it has anything new to show me. (Someone's Thomas the Tank Engine cake may be terrific, but if on the thumbnail picture it looks like everyone else's Thomas the Tank Engine cake, I'm not going to click on it.)

2. Poor picture -- dark or too "wide angle" a shot so that I don't think I'll see the details, etc.

3. (AND THIS IS THE BIGGIE) I don't think I will ever personally USE that photo as a reference for cakes I think I might make myself, in the future. So if I don't think I will ever be called upon to make a toxic waste dump cake, I'm not likely to click on a picture of one. Doesn't mean it isn't a fabulous cake; just that I have no personal interest. Because time is limited, I can only view a certain limited subset of the 1,000s of pics on CC, so I MUST make choices.

Your cake is great -- don't get discouraged (or assume it has anything to do with your cake's quality) if it doesn't get much measurable attention. Just keep on cakin'! icon_smile.gif

Thanks so much for the input. Your number 3 is what I was hoping it was, and did think it could be. Then again, I really thought EVERYONE was looking for a toxic waste cake..... icon_lol.gif

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:10pm
post #14 of 39

If I see a cake that really strikes a chord with me, I'll comment. Otherwise, no. I don't see the point in making a comment if it isn't genuine.

Someone else posted that your satisfaction with the cake and the fact that the birthday boy was very happy with his cake should be validation enough and I agree.

I'm not trying to be ugly, but honestly there have been so many threads on this subject and sometimes I feel like we're all getting these little hand slaps from our fellow CC-ers for not commenting on every cake and I'm beginning to resent it.

cownsj Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:27pm
post #15 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

If I see a cake that really strikes a chord with me, I'll comment. Otherwise, no. I don't see the point in making a comment if it isn't genuine.

Someone else posted that your satisfaction with the cake and the fact that the birthday boy was very happy with his cake should be validation enough and I agree.

I'm not trying to be ugly, but honestly there have been so many threads on this subject and sometimes I feel like we're all getting these little hand slaps from our fellow CC-ers for not commenting on every cake and I'm beginning to resent it.

I don't think you're being ugly, you're being honest and I genuinely appreciate that. And I didn't mean it in a way that everyone who doesn't comment is wrong. I know I look at lots and lots of cakes that I don't comment on, and then there are times when I'm commenting on lots of cakes. But I was curious to know if it is more likely that cute and pretty cakes get comments. And I do agree, I don't want insincerity. Thank you for you input.

newmansmom2004 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:32pm
post #16 of 39
Quote:

Quote:

I don't think you're being ugly, you're being honest and I genuinely appreciate that. And I didn't mean it in a way that everyone who doesn't comment is wrong. I know I look at lots and lots of cakes that I don't comment on, and then there are times when I'm commenting on lots of cakes. But I was curious to know if it is more likely that cute and pretty cakes get comments. And I do agree, I don't want insincerity. Thank you for you input.

Oh good - I wasn't trying to be mean so I'm glad you didn't take it that way. Just pointing out that there's another side is all.

One of the best cakes I've seen on here was a toilet cake with - yep, you guessed it - poo in the bowl! I thought it was hilarious and creative and couldn't get it into my faves fast enough. I have a lot of friends who would LOVE a cake like that so - at least for me - while the pretty cakes are nice, I like to see something off the wall, too.

cownsj Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:35pm
post #17 of 39

LMAO. Have you had a chance to make the toilet bowl cake yet? Yes, that would be funny. Can you give me the link for it so I can see it?

I remember when I first saw the litter box cake I thought it was done so fantastic and with such realism I knew that with having 3 cats, I just couldn't bring myself to make it and then eat it.... lol Know what I mean?

newmansmom2004 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:39pm
post #18 of 39
Quote:

LMAO. Have you had a chance to make the toilet bowl cake yet? Yes, that would be funny. Can you give me the link for it so I can see it?

I remember when I first saw the litter box cake I thought it was done so fantastic and with such realism I knew that with having 3 cats, I just couldn't bring myself to make it and then eat it.... lol Know what I mean?

I have not yet made the cake - I think I might have to make it for hubby's birthday next year tho! And we have a friend turning 50 later this year so I'd love to make it for her. Hope the link works!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1301474

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:40pm
post #19 of 39

I have noticed that sometimes a cute or simple design will get lots of attention just because the cake looks easy enough for anyone to do.

So you are right. There are lots of factors in what makes a cake popular. Sometimes it just has to be cute or easy to do or a subject that appeals to lots of people.

Don't ever be discouraged. Just one kind comment means that someone looked at your cake and considering how many are uploaded each day, even that should mean a lot.

We all like encouragement from our cake decorating peers but as has been said before, no matter what we do we get slammed. I've been accused of being insincere in my comments because I leave so many. What to do?? icon_rolleyes.gif

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:42pm
post #20 of 39

There used to be a committee that tried to comment on every picture but it is understandably very hard when hundreds upload each day.

I love getting comments but at this point I know that it might be a random search that someone finds my cakes.

BTW I think you did a great job on your cake and everyone needs validation from time to time.

cownsj Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:43pm
post #21 of 39
Quote:

Quote:

I have not yet made the cake - I think I might have to make it for hubby's birthday next year tho! And we have a friend turning 50 later this year so I'd love to make it for her. Hope the link works!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1301474

Holy cow, I cannot believe how real that cake looks. Even the rug and toilet paper look real, not to mention the, um, yeah, poop. lol I saved that to my favorites now as well. Thanks for sharing that one.

Maybe we need to post everyone's "gross" or "different" cakes for people to see and appreciate..... icon_surprised.gif I do think these offer lots of great ideas so many people would never think to do.

cakeaddictunite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaddictunite Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:59pm
post #22 of 39

Honestly when I post a pic. of my cakes I do it to maybe help someone else with an idea. I dont post them to get acceptance.As long as the person they are made for is thrilled then I'm ok with that. I am just a hobby baker. The cakes I make are for free and I make them cause I love it. I hope this doesnt come across as being "snotty" cause its not. I look at pics on here almost daily and if the cake doesnt intrest me then I wont open up the thumbnail to look at it.I dont have the free time to look at ever pic that gets loaded~if I did I would lose my job and never get any rest. My 2 cents is dont worry about if others are commenting or saving your pics on here as long as the person getting the cakes are happy then thats all the confirmation you need. thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 4:05pm
post #23 of 39

I just posted on a similar thread last night...but I do cakes to please my customers. I have alot of cakes that made my customers ecstatic that got little to no recognition here. But it really doesn't matter...I made my customers smile and that's fine! Anything here is just a nice extra bonus.

This site is too large (its a good thing) for everyone to get the recognition they want.

cownsj Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 4:05pm
post #24 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeaddictunite

Honestly when I post a pic. of my cakes I do it to maybe help someone else with an idea. I dont post them to get acceptance.As long as the person they are made for is thrilled then I'm ok with that. I am just a hobby baker. The cakes I make are for free and I make them cause I love it. I hope this doesnt come across as being "snotty" cause its not. I look at pics on here almost daily and if the cake doesnt intrest me then I wont open up the thumbnail to look at it.I dont have the free time to look at ever pic that gets loaded~if I did I would lose my job and never get any rest. My 2 cents is dont worry about if others are commenting or saving your pics on here as long as the person getting the cakes are happy then thats all the confirmation you need. thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

No, you are not at all coming across as "snotty". And I think alot of people have given me good answers about it, and it's been very helpful, all of it. And I thank you for your comment too. And the birthday boy loving his cake what the most important thing. We even told the mom when she ordered it, we wanted her to love it for him, but it was more important still that he love it, since it was his cake. She was very happy with that notion. And getting his reaction was priceless.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 4:07pm
post #25 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathysCC

I have noticed that sometimes a cute or simple design will get lots of attention just because the cake looks easy enough for anyone to do.

So you are right. There are lots of factors in what makes a cake popular. Sometimes it just has to be cute or easy to do or a subject that appeals to lots of people.

Don't ever be discouraged. Just one kind comment means that someone looked at your cake and considering how many are uploaded each day, even that should mean a lot.

We all like encouragement from our cake decorating peers but as has been said before, no matter what we do we get slammed. I've been accused of being insincere in my comments because I leave so many. What to do?? icon_rolleyes.gif

I agree with your first comment...some of my more difficult cakes..which are sculpted or 3D or something...often do not get many saves because people figure they'll never use that idea. It doesn't mean its a good cake....some of them have been my best.

If you are happy with your work and your customer is happy with your work, then you are a success!

cownsj Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 5:09pm
post #26 of 39

I've been thinking about this so much now. I think in the back of my mind I had an older thread stored away when someone was asking why people weren't clicking on their thumbnail photo. I remember them being told to be careful of cropping their photo too much so that people couldn't see enough of the photo. That you wanted to show enough to intrigue people enough to click on it. I've kept that in the back of my mind since then with every photo I've posted. Clearly, I'm now having one of those "DUH" moments when I'm realizing that isn't the only factor involved. And I've gotten so much good information from this. It was frustrating, and I do thank everyone for "coming to my rescue". I'm understanding so much more now and that is always a good thing.

I think I am amazed every single day by the new things I learn in this site, from information like this, to technique, to ideas, to gaining confidence....... This is a wonderful site with so many wonderful people, THIS really does amaze me, and this is my "comment" for that.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 6:55pm
post #27 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeaddictunite

Honestly when I post a pic. of my cakes I do it to maybe help someone else with an idea. I dont post them to get acceptance.

That's pretty much why I post pics, too, and so if I reference a method I've used on a cake in a post I can say, see cake such-and-such in my pics. Does that make sense?

cownsj Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 6:59pm
post #28 of 39

prterrell, that does make alot of sense.

cvigil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cvigil Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 7:27pm
post #29 of 39

Speaking of the litter box cake, I made one for my son's 10th b-day a couple of years ago. The looks of parents dropping off their kids was priceless. Also, my little girl, who was 2 at the time, sat under the table crying, "I don't want to eat the kitty poopoo!"
BTW Your cake is awesome. I rarely get comments too so I understand. But, the people who get my cakes love them and that is all that matters.

cownsj Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 7:37pm
post #30 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvigil

Speaking of the litter box cake, I made one for my son's 10th b-day a couple of years ago. The looks of parents dropping off their kids was priceless. Also, my little girl, who was 2 at the time, sat under the table crying, "I don't want to eat the kitty poopoo!"
BTW Your cake is awesome. I rarely get comments too so I understand. But, the people who get my cakes love them and that is all that matters.

I absolutely LOVE that story. I literally burst out laughing when I read it. I would have loved to have been there to see it.

I do think there is something about doing cakes for boys who are 10 -12 years old. They do want something a bit more out there. Most cakes are pretty and sweet, and we love doing them, but then when you get that cake that is "different", especially like these cakes.... They really are something special to these little boys. And ty for the compliment.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%