Irish Butter - What Is It?

Decorating By thin4life Updated 24 Mar 2010 , 7:28pm by prterrell

thin4life Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thin4life Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 2:21am
post #1 of 9

I was in the store the other day looking for the European butter and I saw this butter that was called Irish butter. It was expensive, in fact more than the European butter. Does anyone know what this is?

8 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 2:24am
post #2 of 9

Butter imported from Ireland. Seriously. That's all it is. Regular ol' butter, made in Ireland from the milk of cows that live in Ireland (and eat Irish grass).

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 2:36am
post #3 of 9

It really does taste heavenly though... yummmmm. I love butter way too much lol.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 2:39am
post #4 of 9

I bought some plugra (not sure of that spelling) and haven't tried it yet. I want to make something really good to put it on first!

PinkZ - what is your opinion of that kind? Would you be able to tell a difference in an IMBC if you use this instead of plain grocery store butter?

prterrell Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 2:43am
post #5 of 9

Plugra isn't the same as the Irish butter. It has an additive in it that gives it (IMHO) a funny taste. I vastly prefer the taste of Land O'Lakes to Plugra. But, maybe that's the simple Southern Country Small-Town Girl in me icon_biggrin.gif.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:01am
post #6 of 9

Thanks - I have simple tastes, maybe I won't like it either! icon_biggrin.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 5:02pm
post #7 of 9

Honestly, I wouldn't bother using it in something like buttercream... not worth the extra expense. Even something like Plugra or other higher fat butters, there's really not much of a benefit there. The best applications for European/European-style butters--and where the extra expense is WELL worth it--is when making laminated doughs (puff pastry, croissants, etc) and pie crusts. The extra fat makes a WORLD of difference.

Now the Irish butter I just love spread on a biscuit or scone, or someplace where the pure buttery taste can be appreciated.

kizrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kizrash Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 7:02pm
post #8 of 9

PinkZiab wrote,

Now the Irish butter I just love spread on a biscuit or scone, or someplace where the pure buttery taste can be appreciated.

Oh I so agree, the Irish butter is the best, actually that's just reminded me I've got some in the freezer. I think I'll just go and get it out. yum yum.. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

prterrell Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 7:28pm
post #9 of 9

We have some Amish butter that honestly is just as good or better than the imported stuff. If you have an Amish farmer's market in your area, I highly recommend getting some!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%