Is This Cake Really That Bad............?

Decorating By madgeowens Updated 25 Mar 2010 , 3:37am by madgeowens

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 2:36pm
post #31 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdebssweetsj

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKing12

I have almost stopped looking at the cake banner. The pictures are too small and if you click on one to look at it you have to start all over to view them all. But you cake is great!

That is exactly why I don't comment on more pictures it really burns up time trying to get back to where you were. Is there a better way to look at the photos?

Put your mouse over the cake picture, click once with the right clicker and click "open in a new tab". It is the only way I do it and once you get used to it, it becomes a habit.

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:41pm
post #32 of 81

If you only post your picture to get compliments then that is not really a good reason to post them. It does not matter weather the cake is good or bad when you fish for comments then people will tell you what you want to hear.
You yourself will know how the recipiant reacted to the cake and that is really all that matters. the customer is the person with the most important comments.
I have cakes that have no comments and I don't care a jot, I post them to share ideas.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:42pm
post #33 of 81

Go by the number of saved not comments.
Think about how many pictures on here that don't have comments, your not the only one and getting picked on. Your cake was for a good cause and the girl loved it so that should be reward enough.

I have received only 1 comment on a recent cake and I'm fine with that. It was one of my better cakes too, but I don't care. All the comments I need came from the party and from my real cake friends.

It looks like you received lots of comments now on it by starting this thread so you should be good to go now. thumbs_up.gif
For everyone else who feels this way, make sure to comment on others photos whenever you click on it so that way something like this is less likely to happen.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:53pm
post #34 of 81

I don't ever go to the photos on here, to tell the truth.

And Mkolmar, I love your signature. Jello creeps me out. A totally grotesque substance, if you ask me.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:53pm
post #35 of 81

I must be in the minority, because I don't even go into my own gallery unless I need to post a link or something like that.

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 4:01pm
post #36 of 81

Hearing good things about our work from our peers (people that actually get this whole "cake thing")...is especially nice, it validates the job we did. That's why I enjoy hearing things about my cakes not just from my clients...but from CC members. Who doesn't like a little praise? icon_smile.gif

mkolmar Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 5:08pm
post #37 of 81

Costume -- I hate jello and always have. My mother tells people if you ever want to gag my daughter out hand her jello. Once in the service I was told to eat everything on my plate. I refused to eat the Jello. The told me to eat the jello or some of the sand. I scooped up some sand and popped it in my mouth. They were shocked but I could care less. I wasn't touching that wobbly funky colored stuff. Yep, I'd rather eat sand than jello even with a higher ranking Marine breathing down my neck.

cammyblake1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cammyblake1 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 5:10pm
post #38 of 81

A compliment is great when unsolicited.

costumeczar Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 5:11pm
post #39 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

Costume -- I hate jello and always have. My mother tells people if you ever want to gag my daughter out hand her jello. Once in the service I was told to eat everything on my plate. I refused to eat the Jello. The told me to eat the jello or some of the sand. I scooped up some sand and popped it in my mouth. They were shocked but I could care less. I wasn't touching that wobbly funky colored stuff. Yep, I'd rather eat sand than jello even with a higher ranking Marine breathing down my neck.

I think I would have done the same thing!

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 5:14pm
post #40 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

Feel free to ship ALL your jello my way. I just love the stuff. icon_wink.gif

cammyblake1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cammyblake1 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 5:14pm
post #41 of 81

What about the bows? Can you eat a Jello bow?

cownsj Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 5:28pm
post #42 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by cammyblake1

From sheet gelatin? I would imagine they might be tasteless.

mkolmar Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 5:33pm
post #43 of 81

I don't even buy the stuff cownsj, but if someone pulls a joke on me and gives me boxes of jello I'll send them your way.

cammy - I don't think you can, but then again I didn't know you could make jello into a bow or other shapes. I know you can with a cookie cutter though or a mold. How could you form jello into a bow? Think I'll google it for the answer, don't want to waste peoples time on here asking. I'm sure it will tell me there. Interesting concept, but I still wouldn't want to eat it, or touch it. Yeah, I have jello issues. icon_razz.gif

snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 5:35pm
post #44 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by cammyblake1

I'm sure you could, but I wouldn't advise it. As cowns said, if you made it with sheet gelatin it would be tasteless, so I would just say no to the jello bow.

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 5:40pm
post #45 of 81

I was thining the same thing earlier about my cakes. I guess I am just unsure of my caking abilities and the compliments make me feel better! LOL, especially when I see a lot of people viewed them, in some cases over 500 times and not one comment. It does make me feel a little bad, but what can you do, right? Your cakes are awesome though! Great work!

mkolmar Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 5:41pm
post #46 of 81

Just did a quick google. Love to google--so easy to find answers.

Snowborder--your probably right. I think I'd rather have a chocolate bow myself. Now that I could eat in a few seconds flat.

snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 5:49pm
post #47 of 81

A pure chocolate bow would be delicious, so long as I didn't have to make it. icon_biggrin.gif I've made candy clay bows before, but they taste like tootsie rolls and I was never really a fan of the tootsie roll.

costumeczar Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 5:55pm
post #48 of 81

Have you all seen the pictures of jello desserts that are made to look like fish bowls and things like that with stuff inside the jello mold? There was a picture of one somewhere recently that was the weirdest thing I've ever seen. What would you bother to do that for? Yuck!

Now if there was a jello section in the galleries I might take the time to look at that just for the sheer horror factor!

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 6:00pm
post #49 of 81

i just clicked on your cake link and you have lots of comments!! I don't know if that was done after you posted or what!! I would love to have that many comments!!!!

I am happy if the client likes it.. I love to hear them say how much they enjoyed the cake, etc !!!! I post on here (Which I haven't in a while) so that I can share.. don't really look for comments.. it's all good!!!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 6:08pm
post #50 of 81

I noticed that too. All but a couple were posted AFTER this thread.

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 6:24pm
post #51 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Now if there was a jello section in the galleries I might take the time to look at that just for the sheer horror factor!

It's really creepy you all mention Jello ~ because I recently had a nightmare about JELLO and it scared me to death!!! icon_eek.gif

About the photo comments: I had a bunch of my photos deleted because I didn't want any comments. I was relying on them too much...among other reasons. Only you know how your customer responds when seeing the cake...I'd by that.

cownsj Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 6:29pm
post #52 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellertur

It's really creepy you all mention Jello ~ because I recently had a nightmare about JELLO and it scared me to death!!! icon_eek.gif

Ok, I want to hear what nightmare you could have about Jello.

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 6:29pm
post #53 of 81

Jello is just down right wrong. Yucky ugly stuff that people try to make look creepy. icon_rolleyes.gif

iheartcupkakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iheartcupkakes Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 6:31pm
post #54 of 81

i have just starting visiting the forums and i see A LOT of people whining about not getting views or comments on cakes... aren't we all adults here?? stop making it about your ego.. its about making wonderful cakes that you enjoy doing.. not how many comments and favorites you get on the cakes..

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 6:34pm
post #55 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartcupkakes

i have just starting visiting the forums and i see A LOT of people whining about not getting views or comments on cakes... aren't we all adults here?? stop making it about your ego.. its about making wonderful cakes that you enjoy doing.. not how many comments and favorites you get on the cakes..

thumbs_up.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 6:55pm
post #56 of 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

Quote:

thumbs_up.gif

icon_wink.gifthumbs_up.gificon_wink.gifthumbs_up.gif

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 7:37pm
post #57 of 81

Hi Madge,
I looked at your cake and I think it's so cute! I love the movie poster....did you paint all that on it?

I can appreciate that not having anyone comment on your cakes can make one feel that their work is sub-par. It makes you question your own abilities and whether you should even be doing cakes. I've felt that way a time or two myself, however, as others have already said....if your cake recipient is happy with it and you keep getting requests for your cakes then you must be doing something right! ....right?? Keep doin what you do and know that you do good work!!

I have to admit that I haven't viewed many cakes in the last few months... I have not been able to get to the home page of CC for quite some time now, and even when I could it was so time consuming to try and look at the pics since the daily gallery format was changed. With all the new members and all the cakes being uploaded in a given day I can certainly see why the change was needed though. Now that I'm aware of how to view and stay where I was it will make surfing the cake pics much more fun! Also, thanks to the poster who suggested going to a different section of the gallery each day and view a specific kind of cake.. That's a great idea!!

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 7:55pm
post #58 of 81
Quote:

That is 100 percent true, but it is still nice to compliments no matter what. Imagine going through life never getting one! LOL!

mkolmar Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 8:23pm
post #59 of 81

Your right chrissypie. It's nice to get comments. However, I would hope someone would get at least 1 comment on their work. Hopefully from the person who it was for, and that's truly the only one that matters. If that doesn't happen during at least a few month span I would ? why they where doing it in the first place. I understand doing something as a hobby to make you feel good but if you have to rely on others to make you feel better than that persons self esteem comes into ?. It's all about that persons out look of themselves, no amount of comments will change that. thumbs_up.gif

this-mama-rocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
this-mama-rocks Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 8:40pm
post #60 of 81
Quote:

... aren't we all adults here??

Unfortunately, NO!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%