Need Help With Somerset 600F Sheeter

Decorating By maddyscreations Updated 24 Mar 2010 , 8:51pm by maddyscreations

maddyscreations Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 12:20am
post #1 of 8

I am attempting to use my new Somerset 600F Sheeter and getting very frustrated does anyone on CC have one I really need help?

7 replies
maddyscreations Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 10:44am
post #2 of 8

Help! It keeps rolling out in long strips " I am rotating" it each pass thru the machine but it keeps coming out that way? Also it doesn't want to slide down the chute going in the machine? I am so frustrated please help...

gizmo-shadow Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 11:09am
post #3 of 8

I just "googled" Somerset 600F and there's a "Featured Video" at the bottom left hand side of the screen. I have seen other cake decorators dusting their feeder with something powdery. Not sure if it is powdered sugar or cornstarch.

Hopefully, someone can assist you.

TobiasWilhelm Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 2:54pm
post #4 of 8

Sounds like you are dropping the thickness to fast - what number are you starting with and what number are you going to next? If you sheet on a 10 and drop to a 3 you will get a loooooong strip where if you go from 10 to 8 to 6 and so on, you will be able to rotate and stay round ...

Jenn2179 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:12pm
post #5 of 8

I agree with Tobias. I usually flatten it by hand to pass through the sheeter. I usually start on a 13 and go down by 2 or 3 until I get to the thickness I need. Also if I am rolling for a large cake I use a piece of vinyl to roll it on and keep rotating it as I pass it through the machine.

maddyscreations Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 5:43pm
post #6 of 8

Do u grease the entry shoot cause my fondant doesnt want to slide in the machine?

TobiasWilhelm Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 5:55pm
post #7 of 8

Not grease - a little corn starch does wonders for us. Normally I don't even "dust" per se, I just take the corn starch sock and basically wipe the fondant and the machine.

When sheeting you have to remember that when you half the number, the surface area doubles - so going from a 10 to a 5 gives you double the surface, but going from a 4 to a 2 does as well. So the thinner you get the smaller the steps decreasing if that makes sense.

Also jenn2179 is right on about the vinyl - we use it for the larger cakes and it works great. We have covered a full sheet double with help of the vinyl sheets ...

maddyscreations Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 8:51pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you so much for your help I am going to try it tonight... My only other problem is I dont know how to attach the exit slide and it didn't come with assembly directions I have tried just about every way??

Quote by @%username% on %date%