Need Help With Somerset 600F Sheeter

Decorating By maddyscreations Updated 24 Mar 2010 , 8:51pm by maddyscreations

maddyscreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maddyscreations Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 12:20am
post #1 of 8

I am attempting to use my new Somerset 600F Sheeter and getting very frustrated does anyone on CC have one I really need help?

7 replies
maddyscreations Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 10:44am
post #2 of 8

Help! It keeps rolling out in long strips " I am rotating" it each pass thru the machine but it keeps coming out that way? Also it doesn't want to slide down the chute going in the machine? I am so frustrated please help...

gizmo-shadow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gizmo-shadow Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 11:09am
post #3 of 8

I just "googled" Somerset 600F and there's a "Featured Video" at the bottom left hand side of the screen. I have seen other cake decorators dusting their feeder with something powdery. Not sure if it is powdered sugar or cornstarch.

Hopefully, someone can assist you.

TobiasWilhelm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TobiasWilhelm Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 2:54pm
post #4 of 8

Sounds like you are dropping the thickness to fast - what number are you starting with and what number are you going to next? If you sheet on a 10 and drop to a 3 you will get a loooooong strip where if you go from 10 to 8 to 6 and so on, you will be able to rotate and stay round ...

Jenn2179 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn2179 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:12pm
post #5 of 8

I agree with Tobias. I usually flatten it by hand to pass through the sheeter. I usually start on a 13 and go down by 2 or 3 until I get to the thickness I need. Also if I am rolling for a large cake I use a piece of vinyl to roll it on and keep rotating it as I pass it through the machine.

maddyscreations Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 5:43pm
post #6 of 8

Do u grease the entry shoot cause my fondant doesnt want to slide in the machine?

TobiasWilhelm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TobiasWilhelm Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 5:55pm
post #7 of 8

Not grease - a little corn starch does wonders for us. Normally I don't even "dust" per se, I just take the corn starch sock and basically wipe the fondant and the machine.

When sheeting you have to remember that when you half the number, the surface area doubles - so going from a 10 to a 5 gives you double the surface, but going from a 4 to a 2 does as well. So the thinner you get the smaller the steps decreasing if that makes sense.

Also jenn2179 is right on about the vinyl - we use it for the larger cakes and it works great. We have covered a full sheet double with help of the vinyl sheets ...

maddyscreations Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 8:51pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you so much for your help I am going to try it tonight... My only other problem is I dont know how to attach the exit slide and it didn't come with assembly directions I have tried just about every way??

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%