Misdawn Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 11:19pm
post #1 of

Ok I finally convinced myself to buy some butavan....so how do I use it? icon_redface.gif

11 replies
cakebaker1957 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 11:47pm
post #2 of

Where did you get it? They should be able to tell you how to use it.
Also Earlenes.com I think thats her website she uses it, Is it thick like pudding or what?
Sorry not much help

Misdawn Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 11:53pm
post #3 of

yeah it's thick...like pudding. Just wondering if I use it like regular flavorings. I got it from Earlene's.

Loucinda Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 1:50am
post #4 of

It is measured just like extract teaspoon for teaspoon. It isn't very pretty but it does make a good flavoring! icon_biggrin.gif

cakebaker1957 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 11:55am
post #5 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misdawn

yeah it's thick...like pudding. Just wondering if I use it like regular flavorings. I got it from Earlene's.




Let me know if you like it, I had thought about buying some of it, but wasnt sure if it was good, and let me know if you think it has as much flavor as reg flavorings.
Thanks

mgdqueen Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 12:53pm
post #6 of

I think Butavan is so good if I had enough I would bathe in it. It's delicious mixed in with actual cake or buttercream. It has a very distinct buttery vanilla flavor-almost like butterscotch but when mixed it isn't as sweet. I always have it on hand and use it in all of my icings-Swiss Meringue, powdered sugar, whipped ganache, whatever. I love it. It is thick and gloppy but that just makes it easier to measure. icon_smile.gif

Misdawn Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 12:27am
post #7 of

O kso I tried it in cake batter...YUM! I tried it in MMF...not so much. The flavor was great, but it discolored the fondant.

MrsNewBaker Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 3:03am
post #8 of

i've only used butavan in icing - is it overpowering if you use it in the cake mix AND the icing??

pinchofsweetener Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 12:02am
post #9 of

I know this is a really old post but it's the first return when you search Butavan. Just thought I'd note for anyone who comes across this thread that Butavan is no longer available. Apparently there was an ingredient in it that wasn't FDA approved so you can't get it on sugarcraft or Earlene's anymore as stated on some of these threads. Although Earlene's stiff cream cheese recipe still lists it as an ingredient. I guess you can always just use vanilla flavoring. Or if you like it you can use a butter vanilla flavor emulsion like the one sold on sugarcraft

ibeeflower Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 3:44am
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinchofsweetener 

I know this is a really old post but it's the first return when you search Butavan. Just thought I'd note for anyone who comes across this thread that Butavan is no longer available. Apparently there was an ingredient in it that wasn't FDA approved so you can't get it on sugarcraft or Earlene's anymore as stated on some of these threads. Although Earlene's stiff cream cheese recipe still lists it as an ingredient. I guess you can always just use vanilla flavoring. Or if you like it you can use a butter vanilla flavor emulsion like the one sold on sugarcraft

I wondered what happened to it. The item is on her site but when you click to order it shows that it's not available. Thanks for the update!

Annabakescakes Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 3:52am

AUmm, that's scary! I wonder if it was dangerous, or if it is just a matter of paperwork and politics?

pinchofsweetener Posted 8 Feb 2013 , 4:47pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

Umm, that's scary! I wonder if it was dangerous, or if it is just a matter of paperwork and politics?


Yeah. I'm not sure. It just states what I posted above on the sugarcraft website where the Butavan used to be. I can't find any other information about it online. Makes me glad I never used it though just in case.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%