Decorations Added After I Left...

Decorating By EmilyGrace Updated 24 Mar 2010 , 8:18pm by catlharper

EmilyGrace Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 10:34pm
post #1 of 34

should I say anything to the bride?

Here's the background... I did a cake last weekend for a friend of a friend who wanted a simple two tiered square cake with fresh red roses in clusters. That was what was stated in the contract so thats what I did. The roses were to be waiting for me at the receptions site so I could add them when I got there.

I arrived a few minutes before I said I'd be there and located the woman who was in charge (who would be signing for the cake). When she first saw the cake she responded "oh... thats it?" I of course told her that is what the bride ordered and there should be roses waiting for me.

She brought me to the room the reception was to be held in and then disappeared into the kitchen. I set the cake down on the cake table and went to ask her where the roses were. She made me stand there waiting for her for 5 minutes while she tried to get her daughters earing in... but that's really beside the point (just kinda rude!).

She finally pointed to where the flowers were so I went to work decorating the cake. When I finished I snapped a couple pictures, got her signature. I told her that the bride had mentioned she wanted some roses placed on the table around the cake but as I was not in charge of decorating, would she take care of that. She said of course and that they weren't finished decorating the table. All was well and I left.

The next day, the friend of mine, and friend of this bride, had tagged me on facebook in some of the pictures of the cake. As I looked at the cake pictures I noticed that quite a few additions were made to the cake. Tulle had been wrapped around the cake with the ends splayed out in a cluster, ivy had been draped over and around it, and it appeared as if they had tried to move some of the roses... they were no longer placed as neatly on the cake as I had left it.

It wasn't terrible (although it wasn't my style)... but It wasn't how I left it and it wasn't what the bride had asked for. The cake... how I left it... is in my pictures.

I feel like I should say something to the bride but I'm not sure what. I don't want to imply that her cake was ruined, it still looked fine... I just want to make sure she knows that that I did not add decorations without consulting her. Would you say anything? How should I word it?

33 replies
jmr531 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 10:48pm
post #2 of 34

I would definitely say something. Otherwise you risk the bride thinking that you did not follow the contract she signed. I would send her an email with the photo that you took before you left and say something like the following:

It has come to my attention that the cake I delivered was altered after I left the venue. Attached is a picture of the cake after I completed setting it up on the table. Unfortunately, I do not know who made the changes to the cake, but I wanted to make you aware of the situation. I hope everything else turned out well for your special day. Congratulations!

endymion Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 10:53pm
post #3 of 34

I would just send a picture of the cake "in case you want it as a keepsake". That way, she can come to her own conclusions about the additions.

marknelliesmum Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 10:54pm
post #4 of 34

I would probably say something - what exactly I don't know but possibly along the lines of . . just checking you were happy with your cake, I noticed from the photos on facebook that additions were made to the cake after I left (mail her your pic) I'm assuming these changes were desired / approved by you. As they differ somewhat from the contract we had I wanted to ensure you were aware that the cake was presented exactly as you requested and hope that these changes were indeed your idea and not carried out without your permission.
The pros will probably offer better advice but I'd definately want her to know that I gave her what she asked for not what somebody else wanted.
Not much help really am I lol.

Eisskween Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 11:01pm
post #5 of 34

Oh you better believe I would say something about it. I would also contact the venue and ask who authorized the alterations?

I would be interested in seeing the altered cake. The cake prior to alterations is simple and classic. It sounds like they added a wad of crap to it. If the bride wanted simple, that's what she wanted. Not fake ivy and tulle, or she would have asked for that herself.

Sorry someone had the nerve to mess around with one of your creations. I would be livid.

carmijok Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 11:08pm
post #6 of 34

I totally agree with everyone who said you need to say something. It's your reputation on the line here and if the changes were something the bride didn't want, I doubt if she would be singing your praises.
I think what some of the others have mentioned for you to say is just fine. The fact that you would be doing follow-up is just good customer service.

bbmom Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 11:13pm
post #7 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by endymion

I would just send a picture of the cake "in case you want it as a keepsake". That way, she can come to her own conclusions about the additions.

I agree with endymion. But am intgerested in what some of the pros would do. This seems like the nicest least accusatory way of letting her know the delivered cake followed the contract.

jenncowin Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 11:26pm
post #8 of 34

I'm also with endymion. This way it's not like you're trying to stir the pot, but a gentle "planting of the seed" that it was messed with after you left.

jmr531 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 11:38pm
post #9 of 34

I don't think that making a statement about the fact that the cake was altered is "stirring the pot." Who knows? The bride may have approved the changes, but the op was not made aware of any plans to change the cake design so it should be made clear that it was not done by the cake decorator. Besides, some people don't like to open email attachments for fear of getting a computer virus so if only the picture is sent, the bride may not even bother to look at it...especially if she got professional pictures taken at her reception.

EmilyGrace Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 6:05am
post #10 of 34

So before I even had a chance to send the bride an email she sent me this message on facebook:

Hi Emily,

I just wanted to say thank you for doing such a beautiful job on our wedding cake. It was exactly what I wanted, simple and elegant, and it tasted excellent!

I'm not sure if you've seen in pictures or not, but somebody tampered with my cake! My caterer was a family friend, and she took it upon herself to modify a few things after we'd decorated, including your cake! Most of the things didn't bother me (she added some extra fabric and greenery here and there to our decor), but I was quite upset when I'd seen that she'd touched the cake. She added some greenery to it, and white tulle! I wanted to remove it, but she'd used pins to stick it in and I didn't want to damage the fondant underneath.

I'm sorry if you think she wrecked your work, sometimes other people think they know best. Oh well. Thanks again for everything, and good luck with your son! I myself am fifteen weeks pregnant, so I was looking through your ultrasound pictures.

Thanks!

So at least she knows that it wasn't me who added the decorations. I feel bad for her though... who touches someone elses cake!
I've posted a picture of the tampered with cake.
Thanks for your replies!
LL

Bfisher2 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 6:23am
post #11 of 34

Wow... I have had a few calls about this from people wanting me to make a plain fondanted cake and they will deocrate it. I have told them absolutley not! There is a whole liability issue there and im not going to be sued for something someone else has done or have the HD after me for that either. I have thinking about adding it into my contract that any alterations or additions made to the cake will completley absolve my liability and make the purchaser completly 100% liable. Has any one else had to or thought of doing this?

Mrs-A Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 7:45am
post #12 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyGrace

So before I even had a chance to send the bride an email she sent me this message on facebook:

Hi Emily,........

wow, what a nice bride! shes a keeper

jayne1873 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 8:47am
post #13 of 34

what a nice bride, at least she was aware that you didnt leave the cake like that, your original was much much nicer than what the other person did to it afterwards and that tule!!!!

Anita8 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 9:14am
post #14 of 34

That was sweet of her to msg you. I wonder who told her that the cake was altered.

I think its a shame the cake was altered.

janeoxo Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 10:02am
post #15 of 34

All I can say is bloody cheek of some people. Who does that person think they are that think they can do better than you (which they can't) and go against the brides wishes. Family friend she may be, but if I was the bride I'd think about who my friends are!

marknelliesmum Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 10:47am
post #16 of 34
Quote:
Quote:

My caterer was a family friend, and she took it upon herself to modify a few things after we'd decorated, including your cake! Most of the things didn't bother me (she added some extra fabric and greenery here and there to our decor), but I was quite upset when I'd seen that she'd touched the cake. She added some greenery to it, and white tulle! I wanted to remove it, but she'd used pins to stick it in and I didn't want to damage the fondant underneath.

OMG icon_eek.gif why do some caterers think their title is 'Caterer / Almighty God' and not 'Caterer / Hired Help' . How dare she I would be furious icon_evil.gificon_mad.gificon_evil.gificon_mad.gif

The bride obviously doesn't want to say anything ( presumably as she is a friend) but I think this woman should be told. If she is a professional caterer (which I doubt) then she should know that she doesn't have carte-blanche to make changes and if she is a pro then she needs to know she's likely to get her butt sued the next time she does this. Are we to presume the pins she used were food grade and sterile? or did she find them lying around somewhere and is she taking responsibility for a guest choking on a pin? icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif I would probaby try to contact this woman and make her aware of this . I know that will probably stir the pot and add fuel to the fire which is not my intention but you may have had potential new clients at this wedding who saw the cake and thought the cake tastes superb but looks awful or I thought 'Bride' asked for plain with roses this decorator obviously pleases herself. It's a horrible situation but i'd find it very difficult to say nothing. You can just imagine Indydebi turning up to cater and deciding oh i don't like the cake, settings, curtains etc. I'll just make it nice for the bride - I think not! You're more likely to see her sitting in the corner chewing her toenails. (Sorry Indy, just trying to make a point icon_redface.gif )

indydebi Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 11:55am
post #17 of 34

No apology needed! I was about to pretty much say the same thing.

How DARE any other vendor decide to alter the wedding cake! Heck, let's get the DJ to change the wall decors that the wedding planner put up; Why not have the photographer re-arrange all of the centerpieces. None of that would be acceptable so why is it open season on the cake ... the grand centerpiece of the reception?

I'd love to hear this caterer's reaction if someone decided to add extra pepper to their fruit salad or a shot of tobasco to their veggie dip.
I mean gosh .... we're just trying to make it "better", right? icon_rolleyes.gif

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 12:42pm
post #18 of 34

You need to forward that email she sent to you to the venue person. Sound to me like the bride might be too nice? I was that way at my wedding too. So many things wet wrong and I just smiled and said it was okay. I know A LOT of people would say that is the classy thing to do, but looking back on it I wish that I had politely brought up some of the issues I was unhappy with. We spent $12,000 on our wedding, we should have been happy with it, no?

I would send that onto the coordinator with a note saying you're not sure if the bride brought it up to her, but obviously the bride was not happy. Along with IndyDebi's words of wisdom! It was an offense not only to the bride, but also to you as a professional.

tarheelgirl Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 12:45pm
post #19 of 34

AND she used PINS to stick things into the fondant?? icon_surprised.gif Some wedding vendors amaze me! If they do one thing in the wedding industry they *think* they are qualified to touch anything wedding related. I always have photos of every angle of the cake before leaving a venue. This way if something is tampered with I have proof. Glad the bride did email you first and acknowledged you did it the way she wanted to begin with. thumbs_up.gif

sillywabbitz Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 2:03pm
post #20 of 34

This is going to sound horrible but I can totally see my mom doing thisicon_smile.gif granted she's gotten a little crazy in her old age but she's convinced she knows best and wants to 'fix' other peoples choices. It has fallen to me and my sister to keep her from doing stuff like this. The reason I post this is to say please say something at least to the venue if not to the woman. People need to know that some behavior is not acceptable and pins in fondant, someone could have been served one of those pins!

cownsj Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 2:25pm
post #21 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by endymion

I think this is a perfect response. This way, no fingers are being pointed, and if the bride has a question she'll ask it. Nicely written.

cownsj Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 2:37pm
post #22 of 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmilyGrace

Hi Emily,

I just wanted to say thank you for doing such a beautiful job on our wedding cake. It was exactly what I wanted, simple and elegant, and it tasted excellent!

I'm not sure if you've seen in pictures or not, but somebody tampered with my cake! My caterer was a family friend, and she took it upon herself to modify a few things after we'd decorated, including your cake! Most of the things didn't bother me (she added some extra fabric and greenery here and there to our decor), but I was quite upset when I'd seen that she'd touched the cake. She added some greenery to it, and white tulle! I wanted to remove it, but she'd used pins to stick it in and I didn't want to damage the fondant underneath.

I'm sorry if you think she wrecked your work, sometimes other people think they know best. Oh well. Thanks again for everything, and good luck with your son! I myself am fifteen weeks pregnant, so I was looking through your ultrasound pictures.

Thanks!

So at least she knows that it wasn't me who added the decorations. I feel bad for her though... who touches someone elses cake!
I've posted a picture of the tampered with cake.
Thanks for your replies!

I am so surprised she found out already. What a gracious email from her. Now I think you should probably get hold of the person who altered the cake and have a word with her. You don't want to have another cake at the same venue that she tampers with. You won't likely get another bride so understanding.

carmijok Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:11pm
post #23 of 34

It really would have looked much better without all the frills. I can see the simple look she wanted under all the 'stuff'. At least you know she knew it was tampered with.

chellescountrycakes Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 4:25pm
post #24 of 34

Glad you took the pics, and SOOO glad the Bride was smart enough to know!! Sorry YOUR masterpeice was altered, but it does go to show you that some brides are thoughtful, intelegent and not bridezillas!! (its a stressful time for some, I understand that, but people today are just sooooo MEMEMEMMEMEME)

and I do agree that this person needs to be confronted, but cant give advice on how to. I am more of a 'cut off my nose to spite my face' type person. LOL

carmijok Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 4:37pm
post #25 of 34

You know after this experience you might think about mentioning this to your next bride to be. At least give her a heads up about well meaning friends who want to change her vision. I really doubt that this will happen again, but still, a bride needs to know that it can--especially when family members and friends are involved.

Cakechick123 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 6:15pm
post #26 of 34

If this was me I would be on that woman so fast, her actions could have caused huge problems for you. If people got sick they were not going to say its from all the stuff the caterer added to the cake
:O to the fact that the cater added ivy to the cake. she obviously has NO idea that its leaves are not food safe!

from wikipedia
Although far less toxic than poison ivy, ivy contains triterpenoid saponins and falcarinol, a polyyne. Falcarinol is capable of inducing an allergic reaction

malene541 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 6:33pm
post #27 of 34

Looks like it's all taken care of. Just remember to get the picture of the baby shower cake when you leave too!! icon_wink.gif

cakeaddictunite Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 6:34pm
post #28 of 34

the "after cake looks like s##T!!! The nerve of some people!!! tapedshut.giftapedshut.gif

terrig007 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 6:50pm
post #29 of 34

Poor Bride having that ugly a$$ed cake. But it was very sweet of her to email you & let you know she knew what had happened.
Is this a venue you've been to before? I wonder if this bird caterer does this a lot to cakes "she finds needs a bit more" ugly decorations.

cownsj Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 6:57pm
post #30 of 34

You know what? Even more so, be sure to send her the pictures you took. At least this way she'll have pictures of what her wedding cake actually looked like. And she'll have a story to tell when showing the two sets of pictures.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%