I Need A Football Helmet Tutorial...

Decorating By Rachie204 Updated 23 Mar 2010 , 9:15pm by MissSassyBuns

Rachie204 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 8:53pm
post #1 of 3

Anyone have a football helmet tutorial or know where I can get one...I have searched but no luck so far.

2 replies
weirkd Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 9:14pm
post #2 of 3

I had to make one for a cake a few years ago. It was made out of gumpaste. Did you want a small helmet or the whole cake the helmet? If your trying to do a small item they do have chocolate molds for them. If you want to try it freehand then what I did was used my hands to form a ball. Then I stuck my thumbs in it and hollowed it out. I then found something to stick it on to keep its shaped while I worked on it. I let it dry a couple of days so that I could make cleaner cuts with a utility knife and then used my clay gun to make the grills for the front.
If your trying to create a whole cake that is the helmet you will have to do some carving or use a stainless steel bowl for the creating the top of the cake and a few rounds to go underneath it. Then you will have to carve out for the place the "head" goes and make your grill. I would put wires inside the "grill" for stability. You can also do a mock face plate and with using fondant in black to create the void and then fondant over it to create the Grill part (if that makes sense?).

MissSassyBuns Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 9:15pm
post #3 of 3

If you google "How to make a 3d football helmet cake" it's the 2nd link to one from here. That helped me a LOT with mine (in my photos). Plus I scoured all the gallery pics for everyone's examples of what they did and got a pretty good idea on what I did/did not want my cake to look like.

Let me know if you have any questions about mine, I'd be more than happy to share.

Quote by @%username% on %date%