Cricut Questions

Decorating By weirkd Updated 30 Mar 2010 , 5:06pm by tarheelgirl

weirkd Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 6:21pm
post #1 of 36

Ok, I know its the new "in" thing with cakes. But before I invest in something like that I want to know its going to be worth it! So if anyone can answer these questions for me, I would appreciate it!! icon_smile.gif
First, do you have to buy a certain Cricut in order to hook it to your computer?
Can you use images straight off the computer without buying cartridges?
And finally, is there a special mat and blade you have to purchase or can you use the deep cut blade and mat that comes with it?

Thanks for any responses!

35 replies
AKS Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 7:58pm
post #2 of 36

Do a search for cricut under the cake decorating forum, and a lot of your questions will be answered. thumbs_up.gif

tiggy2 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 8:09pm
post #3 of 36

I know the cake cricut and the expression will hook up to a computer and I "think" the smaller ones will too. Yes you can uses images off your computer and the internet without buying extra cartridges but you will need Make the Cut or Sure Cuts Alot software to do it (you need at least one cartridge to make it work). If using something besides the cake cricut you will need the deepcut housing and blade. You can use the mat that comes with it but you will have to remove the sticky from it. The easiest way to do that is with 190 proof alchol. It practically wipes right off. You can buy the cake cricut at a discount, about $300, until 3/31/10 at www.cutncrop.com using the discount code "cake"

weirkd Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 9:06pm
post #4 of 36

Thanks Tiggy! I did search under Cricut but didnt see anyone ask the computer question. Thanks for your response!

adven68 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 5:03pm
post #5 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiggy2

I know the cake cricut and the expression will hook up to a computer and I "think" the smaller ones will too. Yes you can uses images off your computer and the internet without buying extra cartridges but you will need Make the Cut or Sure Cuts Alot software to do it (you need at least one cartridge to make it work). If using something besides the cake cricut you will need the deepcut housing and blade. You can use the mat that comes with it but you will have to remove the sticky from it. The easiest way to do that is with 190 proof alchol. It practically wipes right off. You can buy the cake cricut at a discount, about $300, until 3/31/10 at www.cutncrop.com using the discount code "cake"

tiggy....wow...you sure know your cricut!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

I ordered mine...can't wait till it comes! And...I had no idea you could use your own images....that is fantastic....thanks

tiggy2 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 5:20pm
post #6 of 36

I have Make the Cut and I think it's more user friendly then SCAL and you don't have to convert the images to SVG files.

sandy5491 Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 2:32pm
post #7 of 36

Hello everyone,
I've been looking for cricut myself and spending the money which one to get. The money for both are about around the same price. I see that HSN has impression for 349.00 and you get everything that you need.I would like to know if the empression cricut is FDA approval food safely like the cricut cake. Thanks!

Ivy383 Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 2:47pm
post #8 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy5491

Hello everyone,
I've been looking for cricut myself and spending the money which one to get. The money for both are about around the same price. I see that HSN has impression for 349.00 and you get everything that you need.I would like to know if the empression cricut is FDA approval food safely like the cricut cake. Thanks!

Good question... I have the Cricut Expressions and plan on ordering the Cricut Cake next week. I don't think that the Expressions is FDA approved since it was not created for cake decorating use. icon_wink.gif

tiggy2 Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 3:03pm
post #9 of 36

The expression is not FDA approved for food.

LisaR64 Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 6:50pm
post #10 of 36

SCAL and Make the Cut are about $60 to $80. Just thought I'd mention that, as I was kind of surprised at the price.

tarheelgirl Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 8:40pm
post #11 of 36

I am going to buy an Expression next week. I have a small shop in my home. I just can't justify spending the amount of money right now for the Cake Cricut. I am planning to purchase the Make the Cut. It seems like a reasonable price because most cartridges cost about that much anyway. thumbs_up.gif

tiggy2 Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 9:27pm
post #12 of 36

You tube has a lot of tutorials on make the cut and make the cut is also on facebook. If you become a fan they will post when they have tutorials and updates.

cs_confections Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 9:39pm
post #13 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR64

SCAL and Make the Cut are about $60 to $80. Just thought I'd mention that, as I was kind of surprised at the price.

That's actually less than I thought they would be. I think that's an okay cost considering the carts. are around $50+ each. Personally, I'd rather pay up to $80 one time rather than continue to shell out $50-$60 for new fonts and images carts.

cs_confections Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 9:40pm
post #14 of 36

Ohhh - thanks for that tidbit, Tiggy! Off to Facebook right now!

tiggy2 Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 9:41pm
post #15 of 36

You're welcome, happy to share!

LisaR64 Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 11:48pm
post #16 of 36

I agree, SCAL & MTC are DEFINITELY worth the money, but just wanted to make sure potential Cricut buyers realized the edit software was going to cost another $70+ in addition to the price of the Cricut machine.

I guess in my mind I was comparing it to other file editing software (which runs $20 bucks or so), instead of comparing it to Cricut cartridges, so I was a little surprised, but no doubt it's worth every penny.

sandy5491 Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 11:54pm
post #17 of 36

I'm on facebook right now so I look for make the cut. Thanks for sharing all the information. I just ordered the cricut impression from HSN but I do other projects too. Exactly when does cricut cake come out or it get shipped.
thumbs_up.gif

sandy5491 Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 12:26am
post #18 of 36

I was on facebook and checked out the MTC and I just purchased and its on sale. Whats SCAL. Another thing is that icing sheets will work on cricut cake machine.
icon_rolleyes.gif

ladij153 Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 1:18am
post #19 of 36

Sure Cuts A Lot (SCAL) is another software program similar to MTC. You also use it with the Cricut Machines same as MTC.

maddyscreations Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 1:30am
post #20 of 36

Ok I am alittle confused if a bride wanted to tie in her wedding invitations with the cake would you need a scanner to get the image into the editing program first?

AKS Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 1:35am
post #21 of 36

Maddy: yes. Here's the funky part, though: even if you scan it in as a jpeg, it may not be an image that you can use on MTC or SCAL. I've had particular problems with some colored images. If you are able to scan it in, I'll be able to tell you if it would work on MTC.

Ivy383 Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 1:38am
post #22 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddyscreations

Ok I am alittle confused if a bride wanted to tie in her wedding invitations with the cake would you need a scanner to get the image into the editing program first?

Yes you would need a scanner. I have seen the demo done with a scanner, but I think that you can use images and other files as long as you can get them in to your computer. icon_smile.gif

Taleesa Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 1:52am
post #23 of 36

Thanks I want to buy the crucit cake, so thanks for the info!

sandy5491 Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 3:35am
post #24 of 36

Do you need toget the SCAL besides the MTC. The SCAL only has the download version.Then if I understand you can use edible paper (icing image paper) with your cricut cake.
icon_cool.gif

ladij153 Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 6:08am
post #25 of 36

sandy5491,....no, you don't need both....one or the other will do. They are very similar programs but previous posters say MTC is easier to use. I will be getting the MTC as soon as I can afford it....I have been doing a lot of research on both programs both on CC and Googling SCAL or MTC....

tiggy2 Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 1:18pm
post #26 of 36

Crucut cake is scheduled to ship May 1.

rc1980 Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 2:27pm
post #27 of 36

So today I was going to place my order to get the cricut cake. I am a scrapbooker/baker so I have the cricut expression, anyways today I logge into the cricut site and saw someone post about the cricut cake so I went into her blog. Ck it out, now I am really confused..

http://joyslife.com/how-the-cricut-cake-machine-is-different-from-the-cricut-expression/

tarheelgirl Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 3:49pm
post #28 of 36

I'm a little confused also. I remember reading on CC that the new Cake Cricut parts are not interchangeable with the Expression. icon_confused.gif Regardless, I will start with the Expression myself and it will ONLY be used for cake. thumbs_up.gif

Ivy383 Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 5:58pm
post #29 of 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelgirl

I'm a little confused also. I remember reading on CC that the new Cake Cricut parts are not interchangeable with the Expression. icon_confused.gif Regardless, I will start with the Expression myself and it will ONLY be used for cake. thumbs_up.gif

I went to a Cricut Cake presentation at the Baking Expo in NJ last weekend. It is my understanding that the blades are not interchangeable between machines. What I mean Is that you can't use the blade from the Expressions on the Cake. Cartridges you can use the same on both machines. icon_smile.gif

tarheelgirl Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 8:54pm
post #30 of 36

ok.. gotcha! thumbs_up.gif I re-read the blog that was posted by RC1980..

It read: We can buy those pieces and almost completely turn our Cricut Expressions into the Cricut Cake. Uh-huhnot exactly, but REALLY CLOSE."

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%