How To Use Impression Mat?

Decorating By yums Updated 23 Mar 2010 , 6:00pm by chrissypie

yums Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 5:45pm
post #1 of 3

I have tried a cobblestone and a diamond impression mat but I can't seem to get it right......I tried pressing it into the fondant then put fondant on cake but my image stetches but when I try it directly on the cake my icing smooshes around and I can't press hard enough to get every detail. How does every1 else do this?

2 replies
Sassy74 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 5:55pm
post #2 of 3

I've never tried to use it on the fondant before applying the fondant to the cake. As you've discovered, it'll stretch out beyond recognition lol! I do use it on fondant, but to avoid some of the problems you're having, you might try a couple of things.

First, how thick are you applying the BC under your fondant? If it's too thick, the BC will smoosh around. I use a medium layer of BC. Maybe 1/4" (or a little less) instead of the usual 1/2" thick. That may be something you need to experiment with. Some people use a regular layer of BC under fondant, and some use a very thin crumb coat. Also, I chill my cake VERY WELL after applying BC, and pull it out right when I'm ready to apply the fondant. That helps keep the BC from moving around under the fondant while you're working it.

Also, it's best to use the impression mat right away, when the fondant is still soft, and the BC underneath is still firm. I use a good bit of pressure to get the impression in. If it's a diamond pattern or another relatively simple pattern, you could go back over it with a wheel to sharpen the impression.

Hope that helps!

chrissypie Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 6:00pm
post #3 of 3

Yeah, if you are trying to use it on a cake that has a good coat of buttercream underneath, chances are it will smoosh. You might be better of just crumbcoating the cake and applying the fondant when you want this look on your cake. Granted, there won't be much buttercream underneath, but maybe if you torte your cake to have a few layers of filling or icing, it will compensate for what is missing in the outside. That is what I would do anyway! LOL!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%