Mmf Vs Gumpaste For Decorations?

Decorating By kileyscakes Updated 23 Mar 2010 , 10:39pm by The_Lil_Cakehouse

kileyscakes Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 4:46pm
post #1 of 7

I am working on a cake that I am going to be using the pme daisy plunger cutters, and I noticed that they aren't cutting very well they look okay but I think they look better when I use gumpaste but then I don't really lke using gumpaste since it doesn't taste well. I was just going to cover the cake and use mmf as much as possible and then use gumpaste for the rest of the decor that would look nicer with gumpaste. I just worry that people would be turned off that you can't eat all of the decor, I know its edible but you know what I mean. Where I live nobody knows much about cakes done this way so I don't know if that will turn them off or do they just think of it a decor and don't eat it anyway? I have put gum tex into my mmf too but it still is just a little to soft and just takes longer to do it with the mmf cleaning up the edges takes longer they are softer than gumpaste and so on.
I would just like anyones opinion of what they do and what customers think.
thanks a lot
Kiley

6 replies
jhay Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 5:00pm
post #2 of 7

Is your MMF sticking to the plunger? I'd dust the MMF with some cornstarch and not roll the MMF too thick . It takes a while to dry and isn't as sturdy, but you're right...it tastes much better

kileyscakes Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 5:03pm
post #3 of 7

its not sticking to the plunger It just isn't as clean cut and than after I get it cut I have to mess with it when I put it into the former to dry since it is softer it takes longer to adjust all the petals.

TexasSugar Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 6:06pm
post #4 of 7

Have you tried mixing a bit of the two together?

I wouldn't worry about the taste of the gumpaste. To me it doesn't have much of a taste. If the flowers are on the bigger side people may not eat them. And if they do, well hopefully they like crunchy things.

kileyscakes Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 6:10pm
post #5 of 7

thats funny! yeah they are going to be bigger and on the sides of the cake and they will be crunchy since I am drying them in formers. Hopefully they do like crunchy things lmao

mamawrobin Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 7:20pm
post #6 of 7

I always mix my fondant with some gum paste when making daisies. The cutters that I have make it next to impossible to use just fondant. Like TexasSugar said gumpaste really doesn't have much flavor to it.

The_Lil_Cakehouse Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 10:39pm
post #7 of 7

I hear a lot of people do Tylose Powder. I did some animals from straight MMF (Jungle Cake in my photos) worked ok and dried fine. But I did them a week in advance just because I knew they would take a while.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%