Sturdy Cake To Hold Up Under Fondant Weight

Decorating By CookieSue Updated 23 Mar 2010 , 4:42pm by jhay

CookieSue Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 4:22pm
post #1 of 3

What is the best kind of cake to use when covering it with fondant? What kinds of fillings can be used and not ooze out? Do you need a really stiff buttercream for the cake coating to hold the fondant?
THANK YOU!!

2 replies
cherrycakes Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 4:33pm
post #2 of 3

Hi! Wecome to Cake Central! You may want to check out WASC (White Almond Sour Cream) cakes - there are numerous different flavours you can make it but it starts out as a box mix but is extremely sturdy for fondant. As well, ganache has become really popular for using as filling (whipped ganache) and for using in place of buttercream under fondant. If you do a search for these you'll come up with many ideas. Good luck!

jhay Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 4:42pm
post #3 of 3

Agreed! WASC cakes are dense and hold up well. That's what I use mostly. Be careful of light and fluffy cakes...they'll smoosh under the weight.

Try to keep your fondant to about 1/8 th of an inch thick.

Most fillings can be used, but be careful with ones that are runny...for example:

When I took my fondant Wilton class, I decided to get all fancy and fill my cake with caramel icecream topping...it soaked into the cake and leaked through my buttercream dam and fondant. BIG MESS!!! (Though I will say that Hot Fudge icecream topping works beautifully!) Try to stay with stuff that is somewhat thick, and make sure to use a stiff dam of buttercream.

Let the filled cake sit for a while to push out any air bubbles between the layers. Some people like to set a ceramic tile on top of thier cakes to encourage the air bubbles to be forced out. After the cake has "settled", the fondant can go on and you shouldn't have any oozing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%