Need Help From Cheese Cake Pros!!

Baking By korkyo Updated 25 Mar 2010 , 3:13am by madgeowens

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 1:39pm
post #1 of 9

I am having a hard time baking cheese cake.
I used to have a recipe that was perfect. Now for some reason I can't get it to work at all.

I've tried others and still have some problems. The one I'm doing now is straight off the Philly box for basic NY cake. Straight in the oven, no bath, remove when done.

Mostly it working but I'm getting some cracks. It also falls after it cools. Should I take it out a bit sooner? Add a dish of water in the oven when it bakes???

HELP! If I keep making these I will gain 50 pounds!!! Can't let the BAD ones go to waste. HAHAHA

8 replies
pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 1:53pm
post #2 of 9

Sounds like it over-baked. Remember, cheese cakes usually wiggle when you take them out of the oven, doesn't mean it's not cooked!

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 2:11pm
post #3 of 9

I agree with pouchet82 sounds like overbaking.

I use a water bath on 90% of my cheesecakes. Other tips I've seen & incorporated over the years are: Don't beat too much once the eggs are in - you don't want to incorporate tons of air; cool it slowly (leave in the oven with the door cracked or open - the sudden change in temperature causes it to contract too fast; as soon as it's finished baking, quickly run a knife or spatula around the edges to release - cheesecakes DO shrink back a bit, but if the edges are still holding tight to the pan during that process it will crack; and finally I've developed a couple of nice toppings, one with sour cream, one with chocolate ganache, and there's always fruit toppings. They do wonders to cover a few cracks.

mykidscakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mykidscakemaker Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 2:16pm
post #4 of 9

Could be a couple things going on.

First, I think you might be over mixing it. I only use my mixer to cream together the cream cheese and sugar. From them on, I mix it all by hand.

Second, I wouldn't ever make a cheesecake without a water bath. Wrap your pan in 2 layers of foil. Boil your kettle full of water, and when you're ready to put the cheesecake in the oven, place it in the middle of a larger cake pan (I use a 14" square) then pour in the boiling water.

Bake until there's still a little wiggle in the middle. then turn your oven off, and leave the cheesecake in the over for 5 hours!!! This is important! this helps the cheesecake to cool really slowly, and that will prevent cracks too!

Good Luck!!

flourpowerMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourpowerMN Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 2:35pm
post #5 of 9

These are great tips. Don't forget to make sure all of your ingredients are at room temp before mixing. No cheating with the microwave either. icon_wink.gif

korkyo Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 9:04pm
post #6 of 9

Ok thanks!! Now I feel I can try this one more time. I was getting frustraited.
I'll let you know how it goes.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 10:23pm
post #7 of 9

Actually, if you're trying to make a dense New York cheesecake you don't ever use a water bath. It will totally change the texture of a cheesecake. Water baths make them more creamy than dense.

Cheesecakes are custards. If you beat in air, they will rise, fall and crack. Beat your room temperature cream cheese and sugar until creamy. Once you add the eggs, just incorporate. I also bang the pan gently to help bring air bubbles to the surface before I put it in the oven. After the cakes are out of the oven for about 15 minutes, I very carefully open the sides of the pan and be sure the cake is separated from the side. Then I close the side and cool completely on the counter before it goes in the fridge.

I also use an instant read thermometer to test for doneness. At 150 degrees in the middle, a cheesecake is done.

That being said, and I've baked over a thousand New York cheesecakes, I'd say half of mine still crack. It's all part of cheesecake. icon_smile.gif

Jodie
LL
LL

korkyo Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 2:51am
post #8 of 9

Well I baked one this morning and it turned out perfectly. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif
Now I just need to figure out how to get it taller. It was only about 1.5 " tall.

I did cream the stuff and then mix in the eggs by hand.
I did use the water bath and turned off the oven ,let out the heat, and then let them cool in the oven.

It was nice and creamy but firm, which is good for me.

NOW the next part if how to get them taller. Would a paper collar do the trick? I'm only going for 3 " tall.

Any particular paper? Spray it or not?

If I do get a crack on the next try for a taller cake I am not baking it agian. What is good to cover the top with. Its for a wedding and she just wants it totally plain. No garnish at all.

Thanks so much for your help, all of you!!! I would have been hiding in the corner if this had failed the 3rd time.!

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 3:13am
post #9 of 9

I use Emeril Lagassis NY style cheese cake ans it is to die for...........use a water bath(put on cake pan with foil wrapped around in case of leak in a sheet cake pan) this will stop the cracking

If you can't get his recipe pm me and I will get it to you...its the one where he used apples on top only I dopn't use apples icon_smile.gif we like cherries instead.........hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%