Pregnant Belly Cake

Decorating By Kerry_Kake Updated 25 Mar 2010 , 11:13am by Kerry_Kake

Kerry_Kake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerry_Kake Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 1:36pm
post #1 of 6

I have searched the forums and found a few on this topic but I still have questions.
I have a request to do the pregnant belly cake and she sent me a pic of it and it wasn't on a sheet cake. She says it's to serve 30-40 people.
I do have the sports ball pan and the mini ball pan but I know that will not serve that many. Do you know how many that would serve?
I am assuming I will have to put this on a sheet cake to get the right amount of servings. By putting it on a 9x13, will I get enough servings? That only serves 28 plus the half ball pans... Or should I put it on a 11x15?...but that serves 40 all in itself!
So if I put this on a sheet cake, I'm guessing the best way to do this is to put the belly and boobs on cardboard and cover it first then transfer it over to the sheet cake. What do you think?

Much help would be appreciated! Thanks!

5 replies
paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 1:28am
post #2 of 6

Ok, done lots of these icon_smile.gif and yes you will have to put it on a sheet cake to get enough servings. I don't think they cut up the belly part of the cake at most of the showers mine were at, I think the expectant mommy took it home. I don't fill it, just a crumb coating on it, so the sheet cakes better anyway. A 9x13 serves 45 and that's the wilton party serving (my wedding cake chart doesn't have sheet cakes on it) so it's actually more than that. If my sheet cake is covered in fondant, I crumb coat the boobs and belly on a board cut down to the right shape. Then I put it on the cake and cover it with fondant. If it's butter cream I would cover it first and then put it on the cake. If you have any other questions just ask icon_smile.gif

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 1:59am
post #3 of 6

Hi Kerry,

I did mine as a 12 x 18 double layer and used the egg pan and the mini ball pan for the boobs although I had to use two of the mini balls for each and do a bit of carving to get a good shape.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1246856

Wish you much success with yours....be sure and post a pic so we can see!!!

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 5:22am
post #4 of 6

Trick I use... I always mix left over cake with icing to make the boobs. Works like a charm icon_biggrin.gif

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 5:55am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry_Kake

By putting it on a 9x13, will I get enough servings? That only serves 28 plus the half ball pans... Or should I put it on a 11x15?...but that serves 40 all in itself!

How large are your serving sizes?

Guess you're not using the Wilton party servings charts (which at 1-1/2x2x4" are 50% bigger than the wedding servings at 1x2x4") since the 9x13x4 would serve 45/65 and the 11x15x4 would serve 60/95.

If you only wished to have a single layer sheet cake, the servings would be 22/32 and 30/45.

HTH

Kerry_Kake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kerry_Kake Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 11:13am
post #6 of 6

JanH, my cake is 2" thick therefore the cutting guide on Wilton uses 3"thick or more for 1½x2 slices. It says to adjust by cutting wider slices for under 3" so I go by a 2x2x2 slice.
I don't understand your last sentence...22/32 and 30/45 icon_redface.gif
But I think I will use the 9x13 cake size under it.
Thanks for all the responces!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%