Design Advice - 12-10-8 Stepped Tiers?

Decorating By PattyT Updated 23 Mar 2010 , 1:27pm by PattyT

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 10:44am
post #1 of 4

Background: Im planning a bridal shower cake for a friends daughter.
Its going to be 12-10-8 square with her gown on a black dress form on the top.
They wanted the bride dress to be fairly large they liked wonder-mold type dress cakes, but her actual dress is very sleek, not poufy. Im planning gumpaste flower sprays spaced nicely around the top edges of the 12 and 10 tiers and the cake board. White on white piping on sides and deep purple with celadon green fondant bands at bases.

Question: Im OK with 12-10-8 to serve 80+ because Wiltons party chart totals 98, but will those sizes look ok?

I was thinking to get a larger difference between the tiers, Id stairstep themnot just back but to the right side also, with the dress form to the front corner of the top tier. Then I could set the flower sprays on the larger spaces on the front and left of the 12 + 10?.

I cant quite visualize this, so I searched the Galleries for "offset & square", but just the rotated tier designs come up; "steps & square" show one that is stepped to the back only.

Is the fact that there are none in the Galleries because this will look kind of silly? Or because it will be pretty difficult to line the back and right corners up?

I've attached a sketch (drawn while riding a commuter train...sorry) to try and demonstrate the idea.

Has anyone done a design like this?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

3 replies
Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 12:04pm
post #2 of 4

This is one I was looking at recently for an example to show a bride - hope it helps a bit. I do not know the sizes unfortunately!

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 12:43pm
post #3 of 4

To get more of an idea of the spacing on the edge stack your pans up and you will see that you won't have a large ledge but you should be able to work with it.

The only thing that seems off to me in the sketch is the dress, i would push it back and let the train trail down the back of the cake.

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 1:27pm
post #4 of 4

Evoir - that's exactly what I needed. It helps so much to visualize. Plus it's a beautiful cake.

peg818 - Yes! She does look like she's going to topple forward doesn't she? I was hoping to have the front float a bit. You're right. It definitely should go back.

Great suggestions - THANKS.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%