Fondant/gum Paste Gummy Problem

Decorating By sunset74 Updated 23 Mar 2010 , 2:09pm by TexasSugar

sunset74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunset74 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 9:52am
post #1 of 4

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but during my WM classes I have been noticing that when I put roses or other flowers together the seams are getting Gummy. For example, we made rose bases and let them dry. Get to class and as soon as I start putting fondant/gumpaste mix on the base it just gets sticky and gummy. It won't stick to whatever I am trying to stick it to, it wants to stick to me and come off and sometimes just start to fall apart. I try not to add tooo much everclear to the stuff, but it never seems to matter. I have not tried gum glue/tex or anything like that. Just everclear and water. And neither seems to keep my stuff together. Finally my roses looked like junk, and the last layer or petals did not even stay on the flower.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks.

3 replies
brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 10:06am
post #2 of 4

i would try the edible glue, you only need a very little amount. id also be inclined to use straight gumpaste - i dont like a mix personally. also, ask your tutor - its what your paying them for!
xx

HowCoolGomo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HowCoolGomo1 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 10:22am
post #3 of 4

You might have what we call HOT HANDS.

Unfortunately, there isn't a cure.

I use the coolie things you put in coolers, with a towel that is called a flour sack on top. I actually hold the thing, to cool my hands down. I also try to keep my house at 70 F or below.

Yesterday, I was messing around with a flower and it helped that I dipped my fingers in cornstarch (corn flower). The bad part of that advice is; if you get the gumpaste thin enough, you may actually cause breakage from the corn starch. Stuff gets too dry.

I have to figure it out almost every time I try to do any flower.

Cussing helps; you can do it! It's the weather, definitely not your expertise!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 2:09pm
post #4 of 4

Most of the time I use gum glue or vanilla when attaching the petals. You don't want to use just water because it will take a long time to dry out. You have to use it very sparingly as well.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%