'bubbly' Buttercream Frosting... Help

Decorating By cryssek Updated 23 Mar 2010 , 2:04pm by Mug-a-Bug

cryssek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cryssek Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 1:43am
post #1 of 7

I have had this issue on a number of different occasions, and I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong. (It doesn't happen everytime).
Sometimes when I make buttercream, and start frosting the cake, the frosting will have air bubbles in it. After doing the Viva method, it looks fine (and tastes fine) but I cannot figure out why it does this. It takes so much more time to get it perfect when there are bubbles in it.
I am guessing that I am probably over beating the frosting prior to using it, but sometimes it needs it to incorporate everything together.

Help?!??

6 replies
djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 1:52am
post #2 of 7

I think I remember in SugarShack's tutorial that if the buttercream comes up over the paddle on the Kitchen Aid mixer, you'll get less air...(I *think* it was her youtube video??)
Sounds like you may have put too much air in it...

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 1:52am
post #3 of 7

After beating your frosting, but before placing it on your cake, try taking a wide spatula and pressing the frosting against the side of the bowl by hand, gently easing out the bubbles, sort of like smashing, if that makes any sense.. HTH. icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 2:56am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisseyann

After beating your frosting, but before placing it on your cake, try taking a wide spatula and pressing the frosting against the side of the bowl by hand, gently easing out the bubbles, sort of like smashing, if that makes any sense.. HTH. icon_smile.gif

Yep. I do this and it works like a charm. thumbs_up.gif

mommyto4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyto4 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 3:38am
post #5 of 7

Also, don't beat it on high speed. The more and faster you beat it the more air is going to be introduced into the frosting. Slower is better.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 1:33pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyto4

Also, don't beat it on high speed. The more and faster you beat it the more air is going to be introduced into the frosting. Slower is better.

When I do this the icing becomes soupy because the beater blade gets really warm, so I start on low to incorporate the sugar the beat on high until just fluffy. But yes as someone stated the icing must come above the beater blade or air will be whipped in.

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 2:04pm
post #7 of 7

I make my icing like in Sugarshacks youtube video (link below). Make it so it fills your bowl. # of quarts your bowl is = pounds of PS. So, if you have a 5qt mixer you use 5 cups shortening (or butter), and 5 lbs PS. Encorporate all your ingredients then turn that baby on speed 6 until you can see it become fluffy. (At least a few minutes). I do it this way and NEVER get air. HTH thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%