Whipped Cream Frosting Recipe?

Baking By andysprite Updated 13 Apr 2013 , 10:24pm by Brendabeeper

andysprite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andysprite Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 1:23am
post #1 of 9

I'm looking for a recipe for a whipped cream frosting. Something similar to the consistency of cool whip. I have a client whose husband doesn't like fondant and she doesn't like buttercream. She wants a whipped creamy frosting and I can't seem to find a recipe on here that sounds like what I'm looking for. icon_sad.gif

8 replies
Cheri316 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cheri316 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 1:36am
post #2 of 9

I have used Bettercreme, you can purchase at store that sells cake supplies, I purchased mine at GFS Food, so maybe Costco or BJ's or Sams Club. Rich's whipped topping is another good one.

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 1:50am
post #3 of 9

Use Heavy Whipping cream. Whip to stiff peaks. Add powdered sugar & vanilla to taste. It's to DIE for on a cake! It's what I use almost exclusively - 80-90% of the cakes in my pics are WC.
Some people add a stabilizer ("Whip it" I think that's the name, by Oetker's) but I've never had to. Just be sure to keep the cake fridged. icon_smile.gif

HTH!

Cheri316 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cheri316 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 2:10am
post #4 of 9

how much powder sugar are you adding?

djs328 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 2:12am
post #5 of 9

I'd say about a cup per quart...not a lot. The cream itself is very rich, and if they don't like buttercream (which is SOOOOO sweet!) they will probably like the less sweet WC. I think that's why lots of people I know prefer it.
I also make a chocolate version, to which I add a little more PS, and cocoa powder. Delish! Just iced my pirate ship cake in that this weekend. icon_smile.gif Was a HUGE hit!!!

andysprite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andysprite Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 2:30am
post #6 of 9

Thank you SO much, ladies! Can't wait to try it!

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 3:17am
post #7 of 9

djs328 I can't believe your cakes are made with whip cream frosting. They are so detailed, I can't believe the whip cream holds up and unstabalized. I've used real whip cream for years. That's all my mom would make, no cool whip on our pumpkin pies. It so suprises me when people don't know you can whip your own. Or they never had anything but cool whip. I use it on cakes for my family but not decorated ones usually. My whip cream even when refrigerated will start to seperate. I just started to stabalize it since I've decorated cakes and I use plain gelatin to do it. It is my favorite frosting so if I could get it to be reliable I would use it a lot more. Oh, and andysprite if you whip cream too long you get butter so be careful when you start to get those stiff peaks.

djs328 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 3:45am
post #8 of 9

paulstonia: My mom couldn't believe you can add color to it, b/c she always did hers in white! I can tell you adding too much color makes it separate, you are right!! But a *little* instant pudding mix usually helps it hold up really well when I add color. I tried the gelatin a couple of times, and ended up with a mess on my whip. the pirate cake has 2 pieces left from being made Sat. night. I just make sure my cakes are frozen, too, which helps when decorating them, keeps them cold, and I get them right into the fridge. icon_smile.gif
It does taste so much better, doesn't it! icon_wink.gif

Brendabeeper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendabeeper Posted 13 Apr 2013 , 10:24pm
post #9 of 9

HELP.   I am looking to make a whipped frosting now but to use on cupcakes   I can put the cupcakes in the fridge untill she picks them up tomorrow but they will be sitting out for a baby shower tomorrow.   how long can they sit out? I am putting fondant decorations on them and need to how they will set up?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%