How To Ice A Hexagon Cake

Decorating By kakedreamer1212 Updated 26 Mar 2010 , 4:33pm by dmo4ab

kakedreamer1212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakedreamer1212 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 12:50am
post #1 of 14

I've never iced a hexagon shaped cake and was wondering if there is a tutorial out there or anyone can tell me how. It looks like it would be a bit tricky. Any help would be great.

13 replies
suzied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 1:37am
post #2 of 14

I havent done it myself, but i am told that it is the easiest!! If you get on to Utube there is one. I remember a green cake being made. Just type how to cover a cake with fondant and search, when you get on to the Utube site. If you dont let me know, i will search for it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 9:13am
post #3 of 14

When you say "ice" a cake, I assume you mean BC? There are lots of tutorials on how to ice cakes. I'm not sure how the hex shape makes any difference in icing technique, 'coz when I did one, I just iced it like any other cake. icon_confused.gif

If you mean fondant, the technique would also be the same as any other cake with corners and edges.

I did a 5 tier BC one recently .. http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1510536 .... and loved working with the hex shape! Super easy! If I had my druthers, I'd do nothing but hex cakes from now on!

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 9:57am
post #4 of 14

If you're worried about getting the corners pointy instead of rounded, do it like you would a square cake: When you're applying the frosting, do one side first. Then, when you do the 2nd side that would meet the first side at the corner, hold your offset spatula at one edge of the corner while you smooth the frosting toward it from the other side. Your spreader should cross over the spatula at the intersection. Does that make sense? It's much easier for me to show someone than to explain it in writing! I know I saw a tutorial on here or on YouTube. I'll see if I can find it. Here's a 15" hexagon I just did this weekend (attached).
LL

JGMB Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 10:30am
post #5 of 14
Odyssey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Odyssey Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 11:58am
post #6 of 14

I don't want to hijack the thread or anything but those cakes are so cool. Where do you find the pans for them? Is there a brand you prefer?

JGMB Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 12:23pm
post #7 of 14

Mine is just a Wilton pan. If you lived closer, I'd give you one! I bought the whole set of hexagons in different sizes and, a few months later, an older lady at the church gave me a huge box of decorating supplies that she won't ever use again. You guessed it -- an entire set of hexagon pans were in there!

jhay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhay Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 12:36pm
post #8 of 14

My handy dandy trick is to use a bench scraper (aka...putty knife) found in the hardware section of any store. It's what you'd use to spackle putty on walls.

I use a 4 inch and just slide it along the sides to smooth out the buttercream (I typically use SMBC) and it works like a dream.

kakedreamer1212 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 1:15pm
post #9 of 14

Thanks for all the advice. It just seems like it would be a bit difficult to put BC on with all the sides but sounds like maybe I'm just overthinking it and have nothing to worry about. Thanks again!

jhay Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 2:25pm
post #10 of 14

Icing a hexagon isn't nearly as hard as putting fondant on a hexagon...now that's tricky...especially if you try to do it on a 6 inch tier! Goofy me wanted a taller look...I got it and a pain in the butt to boot! Turned out well though! It's the white and teal one in my pix.

JGMB Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 2:59pm
post #11 of 14

The pain was worth it, jhay. That is one gorgeous cake!!!!!!!!!

jhay Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 4:32pm
post #12 of 14

Thanks JGMB! It was inspired by a cake made by Gracefull here on CC. She does amazing work!

kakedreamer1212 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 6:47pm
post #13 of 14

That is a beautiful cake, thank you for sharing!

dmo4ab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmo4ab Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 4:33pm
post #14 of 14

Thanks for the tips here. I have to make a hexagon wedding cake in December and was a bit nervous about getting good corners, since I never knew how to get good corners on even a square cake. Now, I know how to tackle it!
Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%