First Wedding Cake Delivery - Need Advice!

Decorating By Amber0508 Updated 23 Mar 2010 , 11:41pm by cakemaker61

Amber0508 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amber0508 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 12:25am
post #1 of 11

Hi all! I am making and delivering my first wedding cake in a couple of weeks. It is a three-tiered round cake, and I'm trying to decide how to deliver it - fully assembled, assemble on site, etc. It is about 25 minutes away, and the roads are bumpy and curvy.

Also, should I keep it refrigerated up until I leave my house? I know that would make it more firm, but I also want it to be room temp by the time of the wedding.

I would appreciate any help!

10 replies
cakemaker61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemaker61 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 12:44am
post #2 of 11

I always strongly advise to take the tiers separately to the venue and then stack them there. It's so much safer that way and gives you more peace of mind during the trip. I get those big brown boxes from a storage/postal place and use rubber shelf liner inside and also underneath them in the back of my van. I do keep my tiers in the frig until delivery and keep the boxes in the van, so they just get whisked out of the frig and into the boxes. Works great. Take along frosting, and whatever you need to finish up the borders etc. after they're stacked.
www.cakekeepsakes.com

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 1:02am
post #3 of 11

I have delivered up to 4 tiers stacked on bumpy brick roads, up hilly driveways. I suggest checking into SPS! Its awesome! I do deliver my cakes chilled and have set as early as 3 hours. Good luck!

hamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hamie Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 1:32am
post #4 of 11

SPS is the only way to go, you don't have to worry about anything!
I would put the bottom 2 tiers together at home and stack the top there, just because of the weight. But if you can carry it all stacked do it, much less stress for you.

suzied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 1:32am
post #5 of 11

When i did my first 3 tier cake, i too was very nervous. What i did was, I assembled the two bottom tiers but the top tier i took it separately as i didnt want the flowers being damaged. Took it to the venue and glued it down with RI. For the border i had a ribbon which i placed before taking it.

Amber0508 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amber0508 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 8:30pm
post #6 of 11

This one is going to have a ribbon border, too, so I was trying to figure out if I could do it at home or if I would have to do it on site. Thanks for all the help!

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 8:49pm
post #7 of 11

I always assemble on site. Potholes, bad drivers, sudden stops. It's much safer to take each tier and assemble it on site.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 9:16pm
post #8 of 11

I use SPS and delivery stacked if I can. I had a 5-tier and didn't think I could carry it so stacked 3 at the shop and the last 2 onsite. I love being able to come in, drop off the cake and leave. It's awesome! I would never had done that before SPS.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 9:23pm
post #9 of 11

If you use SPS you can deliver pre-stacked whatever you can lift. Absolutely NO reason to assemble completely onsite. I haven't used anything but SPS in years.

And don't forget to carry a copy of your license or food handlers permit if your state requires that.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 9:24pm
post #10 of 11

And if you aren't using a peirshable filling that has o be refrigerated there's NO reason to refrigerate the cake It dries them out.

cakemaker61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemaker61 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 11:41pm
post #11 of 11

I kind of have to take exception to the last poster on not keeping finished cakes in the frig because it dries them out. I suppose it depends on the circumstances, but mine always stay moist kept in the frig. My buttercream doesn't crust up like others' recipes and I use box cake mixes. Have always had excellent results.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%