Wedding Cake Problem - Fondant On Angel Food Cake

Decorating By sarah5008 Updated 4 May 2010 , 7:38am by sweettreat101

sarah5008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarah5008 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 10:25pm
post #1 of 9

I have a wedding cake coming up and the couple wants an angel food cake with fresh strawberies, whipped cream and lemon almond cream cheese filling. Goodness! I think I can work with the fillings, but I'm having issues with the angel food cake part. They have to feed 120 people and they have a certain cake design choosen. Their design uses fondant swags and flowers. I DO NOT want to attempt to put fondant on a tiered angel food cake!

Am I crazy in thinking that this will not work? I'm thinking the angel food will not hold the weight of the fondant. I have already discussed this concern with the customers and plan on giving them multiple alternate options. I just wanted to reach out and see what others thought...

8 replies
jennywenny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennywenny Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 10:30pm
post #2 of 9

No, this will not work. I suggest you either offer them a cake that will work (Confetti cakes does a nice 'white cake' that I've had success with under fondant) or they will have to lose the fondant.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 11:30pm
post #3 of 9

You need to explain to them that certain cake types do not go with certain frostings. That's just how it is. You can tell them it is a structural issue.

They either change the design so that they can have angel food or change the cake so that they can have the design. In this case they cannot have both.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 11:40pm
post #4 of 9

No this won't work. Maybe you could talk them into pound cake. That would be yummy with strawberries as well. Good luck!

nwnest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nwnest Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 11:47pm
post #5 of 9

I'm also saying this absolutely 100% will not work. Fondant is heavy. Angelfood is squishy.

Jeep_girl816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 11:50pm
post #6 of 9

Sad but true icon_sad.gif

sarah5008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarah5008 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 3:19pm
post #7 of 9

Thank you so much for all your comments! I'm glad I wasn't over thinking things. You want to be able to give your customers what they want, but this case is different. I will definately be giving them other suggestions because I want the cake to look great for them and I don't want it to be a waste of my time. icon_smile.gif

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 4 May 2010 , 12:39am
post #8 of 9

this site is awesome, I was about to post almost the exact same problem. I told the lady that angel food would not work. but she kept insisting, i kept denying and finally i said, let me go ask some cake friends, and see if they have found a way. And poof.. one google search later, and this posts appears with all my answers. THANKS EVERYONE !! i have offered alternate designs, even cupcake tower... but no go. THIS CAKE IS JUST NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. and she will have to face that fact.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 4 May 2010 , 7:38am
post #9 of 9

My brother and his fiance requested the same cake for their wedding in June. They wanted angel food cake with fresh strawberries and whipped frosting. I told them that it wouldn't work. Now I am making a white cake with strawberries and a vanilla mousse with butter cream frosting. I am making them their own cake for the cutting on the side. This is popular on the west coast. This way you can keep it simple and make the flavors that they love. My soon to be sister in law doesn't like cake so I am trying to decide between a cheesecake frosted and decorated to match the cake or the angel food cake. I guess I will have to ask my brothers opinion sometime this week to finalize the details.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%