How Do I Make A Domed Top Like This?

Decorating By SandiOh Updated 22 Mar 2010 , 9:31pm by Ren715

SandiOh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandiOh Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 8:28pm
post #1 of 16

This gorgeous cake is from "4 goodness cake", I would like to do a similar cake...I've seen cakes like this on the photo gallery... but not sure how to do the domed top? do I mound the icing and then place the flowers???

TIA,
Sandi

15 replies
SandiOh Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 8:30pm
post #2 of 16

sorry, I think might question might be a misleading...I should've asked is this a domed top or perhaps just roses on wires cut at different heights....I would love to be able to do this cake without wires if anyone has any suggestions.

SandiOh Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 8:35pm
post #3 of 16

Shoot.....I went to her website and on the top right it says "all images cannot be used without the consent of owner".....So how the heck can I delete this post?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 8:43pm
post #4 of 16

You can make a dome using half of the sports ball pan.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 8:43pm
post #5 of 16

I saw a thread on someone wanting to know how to do this exact cake adn I think it was determined that the cake was 6" rounds stacked up with half of a sports ball pan for the top! HTH

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 8:47pm
post #6 of 16

I understrand your worry about having used the pic but you are telling everyone where it came form so there isn't much, if anything, to worry about icon_smile.gif

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 8:51pm
post #7 of 16

I agree with everyone else. You can just bake half of the sports ball and that will give you the "domed" or rounded curve you want. I did just that for my giants ball cap...I baked a 6 inch cake and sports ball pan.

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 8:51pm
post #8 of 16

I would say the roses where sitting on a half ball cake or a ball of fondant or polisyrine half ball.
As for the copywrite of the photo, all photos are the copywrite of the person who took the picture, She might have posted that statement incase anyone fancied using it on their own site, claiming they have done it.

mjballinger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjballinger Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 8:56pm
post #9 of 16

I made a cake topper like that and I used half of a large styrofoam ball to put the roses into. Put it onto a cake round cut to fit and then on the cake. Made cutting really easy to just pop the whole top off!

SandiOh Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 8:57pm
post #10 of 16

Thanks everyone!

malakainrop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malakainrop Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 9:11pm
post #11 of 16

Kathryn (4GoodnessCake) is LOVELY - why didn't you send her a message directly on Flickr?
I know she didn't use a sports ball pan icon_biggrin.gif and I am certain - had you asked she would have been more than happy to tell you how to do it

The only reason why it is not a good idea to post images here within posts is that they are so easy 'lifted' - much better to include the link to the picture (which in turn gives full credit to the owner of the picture) - also as the "terms and conditions" of this site - does this now mean that CC can do what they want with the picture as well??

To change your post you can go to EDIT and delete the image and repost the link to the picture

SandiOh Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 9:16pm
post #12 of 16

I am uncomfortable with this post as I feel like I directly violated her disclaimer....I would like this post deleted, does anyone know how to do it? I can't report myself as a "bad post" (?) so maybe someone else can do it for me???

malakainrop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malakainrop Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 9:18pm
post #13 of 16

Don't panic - she won't FRY you - LOL

Just delete the pic and post a link to the picture

here's one for you

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28439449@N02/4073145648/in/set-72157606135374188/

SandiOh Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 9:21pm
post #14 of 16

well, that's the thing I can't figure out how to delete it. When I go to edit, I don't see the file to delete.

SandiOh Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 9:27pm
post #15 of 16

okay. figured it out. wasn't rocket science. feel very stupid. LOL. Anyways, thanks malakainrop for the link....it answered all my questions!

Ren715 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ren715 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 9:31pm
post #16 of 16

I'm liking the idea of using styrofoam for the topper. This way they can take the topper off, enjoy the cake and have a beautiful keepsake. If you place the flowers directly on the cake, they will be plucked off and placed on a plate. A few will be saved the the majority will be destined for the trash.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%