Dummy Cakes

Decorating By SoonerGirl1968 Updated 22 Mar 2010 , 7:48pm by SoonerGirl1968

SoonerGirl1968 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 5:45pm
post #1 of 6

I'm sure this has been addressed before, but I was unable to find it so if someone could point me in the right direction that would be great.

I am wanting to do a couple of dummy cakes and have never done one before so here are my questions...

1. Do you sand the edges of the top of the cake so they are not so sharp?

2. Do you ice with BC to allow the fondant to stick? If not, what do you use?

3. How long do they keep and still look good? Do you keep them in a box or a bag to keep the dust off and looking clean?

Thank you so much!!

5 replies
Lee15 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 6:25pm
post #2 of 6

If you are covering it with fondant, then yes, you sand the edges.

If you want it to keep, use royal icing.

You can store them in display cases. I am sure that there are other cheaper sources out there, but I like the display cases.

TexasSugar Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 6:38pm
post #3 of 6

I just take the edges and press it against the counter. You are just softening it up.

If I am doing fondant I don't use any icing underneath it. I either use corn syrup, piping gel or a very light spritz of water to attach it.

To keep the colors from fading store them in a dark place.

dsilvest Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 6:47pm
post #4 of 6

I also sand the edges lightly and any other raised spots on the sides. To apply the fondant I just use a bit of water. If you a putting gumpaste flowers or decorations on the cake, dust them with colour to help with fading. Just put a loose plastic bag on the cake to keep the dust off and place in a cool dark place to store.

wildwolves Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 7:39pm
post #5 of 6

I have not tried myself yet but I watched a video the other day where she brushed a bit of shortening onto the dummy to attach the fondant. HTH

SoonerGirl1968 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 7:48pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks so much for the suggestions!! I bought my dummies and and hoping to decorate them in the next few days. You guys on CC are so helpful - thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%