Help Baking A Large Sheet Cake

Decorating By jennifer98 Updated 25 Mar 2010 , 2:40pm by jennifer98

jennifer98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer98 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 3:30pm
post #1 of 10

I need to bake several large sheet cakes 14x22x3. Which works better a box mix or a scratch recipe (and where do I find such a large recipe?) I only have a 6 quart kitchen aid mixer so i am guessing i do a couple of mixings? I ordered the pan from fatdaddys and it has yet to arrive but i am already nervous about the whole thing. I would love any in put. Thanks!!

9 replies
kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 4:20pm
post #2 of 10

First of all, make sure a pan that large will fit in your oven, sometimes they don't, and if not, you will have to bake 2 "halves" and put together. As far as receipes go, it's all in what you are used to doing, I do some of both- my white, chocolate, lemon, and german chocolate are mixes with the enhanced formula on here, all others are from scratch.

Lyns082608 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lyns082608 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 4:28pm
post #3 of 10

I would recommend using inverted flower nails in your pan to act as heating cores. When I did my friends' wedding cake the bottom tier was a 16" square and the pans are 3" deep so I had to do two mixings because I also have a smaller KitchenAid. I used WASC and just had to make lots of batter!

jennifer98 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 4:48pm
post #4 of 10

Thank you for the help! I am a bread baker at heart so this is very new territory for me! I looked at the wasc cake recipe and it looks like a winner to me! Going out to buy a couple of flower nails.... and to try the cake recipe so I can familiarize myself or maybe I just want cake Thank you!! icon_biggrin.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 5:02pm
post #5 of 10

first things first, measure your oven!!! that's a BIG pan to fit into a regular oven (unleses you have a commercial oven)

otherwise, I would suggest at least 4 flower nails, maybe 5 placed like dots on a dice!

cakemaker61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemaker61 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 1:14am
post #6 of 10

I hope this pan you ordered will fit into your oven. I use two 12 x 18 sheets and put them together side by side to make a 24 x 18. Each pan takes 3 cake mixes (I use Pillsbury or Betty Crocker) It's important to have this cake on a covered piece of plywood for stability in my opinion. That will alleviate any cracking problems.

bennett5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bennett5 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 1:35am
post #7 of 10

Ditto everything everyone said. Dont forget to spray your flower nails before putting them in too.

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 2:20am
post #8 of 10

I have also found that lining the pan with parchment paper makes handling the cake easier (and less prone to cracking) when it's out of the pan - just leave it on until you're done flipping etc. and it's on your cake board.

Bella214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bella214 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 2:10pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifer98

I need to bake several large sheet cakes 14x22x3. Which works better a box mix or a scratch recipe (and where do I find such a large recipe?) I only have a 6 quart kitchen aid mixer so i am guessing i do a couple of mixings? I ordered the pan from fatdaddys and it has yet to arrive but i am already nervous about the whole thing. I would love any in put. Thanks!!

I just made a half a sheet 12x18x2 and it took 2 DHmixes. I would guess yours would take 3 mixes.

One suggestions, use strips or a flower nail for even baking!

jennifer98 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 2:40pm
post #10 of 10

First off let me thank everyone for all the great responses! I had measured my oven before ordering the pan and it fit (a bit close but it fit). I used the inverted nails, I only have two, and the wasc cake as suggested, I used 3 box mixes and increased the recipe from there....and wow! It turned out beautiful! I could have added more batter but for the maiden voyage with this huge pan it worked beautiful!! Love the cake recipe!
What a great site! Thank you all, once again for all the help!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%