What Advertising Works Best For You?

Business By IceMaidenUK Updated 22 Mar 2010 , 7:11pm by tarheelgirl

IceMaidenUK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IceMaidenUK Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 1:02pm
post #1 of 6

Hi All,

I have recently gone 'pro' with my cake decorating and have a website and am getting listed on google and other search engines. I am now thinking about offline advertising to generate more enquiries, drive traffic to my website and generally get my name out there but I don't really know where to start.

Newspapers seem so expensive so before I invest in any print advertising I would really appreciate some advice on what sort of advertising generates the most enquiries for you. I'm in the UK by the way.

Thanks in advance for you help.

5 replies
Dreme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dreme Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 4:50pm
post #2 of 6

Have you tried Facebook, Twitter, or Blogger yet? I have tried most of those and Craigslist. Trying to figure out new methods myself.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 5:10pm
post #3 of 6

A forum/thread on wedding wire' vendor page puts newspaper advertising at the top of the list of "Biggest Money Waster of All Time" for advertising dollars.

I, personally, wouldn't advertise on Craig's List simply because the folks on there are shopping for super cheap or free. You should compare yourself to the company you WANT to keep ... meaning, if you want to be compared to the high quality bakeries in town, then you should compare yourself to them NOW ... now when you "get there". And I dont' see any of them advertising on Craig's List or laundrymat bulletin boards, etc.

There are tons of free wedding websites out there. I was listed on over 20 of them.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 6:53pm
post #4 of 6

Word of mouth......works wonders, and it is free. icon_smile.gif I am on several of the "wedding sites", have a website, facebook fan page etc. I still receive most orders from cakes I have already done. (I always ask how they got my name) thumbs_up.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 7:02pm
post #5 of 6

I have made the mistake of paying for advertising and every time its been a sorry loss of money! Paper? NO....Bridal show? NO.... not one dollar I've spent on advertising has helped me.

BUT networking has helped...websites/facebook has helped....and definitely word of mouth, plus the occasional free vendor display here and there, because of networking, has helped as well.

And early on I did advertise on Craigslist...as my prices raised and my clientele grew, I stopped.

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 7:11pm
post #6 of 6

I've been in business almost 3 years. I've had my website, facebook. Other then that I have referrals from other cakes I've made and word of mouth. I did one bridal show that was small and got maybe 2 brides out of it! I am on 2 local venues vendor list. Networking is a MUST! I am in the process of checking on my vehicle insurance and putting a decal on my van window. Free advertising! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%