How Old Is "old"?

Lounge By mrspriss0912 Updated 29 Mar 2010 , 3:03am by mrspriss0912

mrspriss0912 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrspriss0912 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 12:48pm
post #1 of 43

Hello CCr's, a few weeks ago I had posted about my mother and her nasty little comment about me being "an old woman trying to be young" well last night my DH (at this point and time the D dosent stand for dear)
referred to me as and "old" heffer! icon_mad.gif My question is ..... When in the Bloody H*@# did 36 become old!!! As a matter of fact .... why dose a set of numbers make you "old" per-say? I am active and can still outlast most of my friends, I hike, dance, workout and can still flip over into a back bend!
I dont want anyone to think that this is a "vaine" posting it just really ticks me off to think that my family (two in particulr) are looking at the two digits associate with my DOB rather than my actual lifestyle and the fact that I am in someways more active than the two of them put together, It just infuriates me icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif .
Mabey this weekend I will go sign up for an adult Gymnastics class and start flipping and tumbeling in my front yard to prove them wrong! I like myself and I am happy with being in my 30"s. I have lived, loved and learned alot about myself in 36 years and do not live with regrets of shoulda,coulda and woulda. So why try to make me feel old when I am not ? My apologies for this being long but I needed to get this out of my system befor I blow up on someone ! Thanks

42 replies
antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 1:24pm
post #2 of 43

You're as old as you feel....and you're old enough to know better than to let others determine your decisions & emotions for you, right?

A "young" person would flop down on their bedspread face first and cry, letting other people's comments get to them and thinking their "life is over" but you know that's not how life works.

Be stronger than this, come on.

I'm 35 and I feel 20 still. Sometimes I forget I don't need permission from anyone else because I'm a big girl now. Pull on your "big girl panties" and live your life the way YOU want to. Enough of seeking the approval of others that may or may not come your way. You don't need it, so don't expect it.

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 1:34pm
post #3 of 43

ha! 36 is *not* old...i'll be 41 tomorrow and i don't consider myself old by a long shot : )

my dad is 65 and still does an ultra-marathon (40+ miles) a year. he can run circles around any 30 year old i know!!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 1:59pm
post #4 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrspriss0912

I like myself and I am happy with being in my 30"s. I have lived, loved and learned alot about myself in 36 years and do not live with regrets of shoulda,coulda and woulda.

Then why worry or care about what others think or say?

Personally if a man called me an old heffer, I'd take more offense in the heffer part. But then again weight is a bigger issue to me than age.

kizrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kizrash Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 2:33pm
post #5 of 43

OMG I wish I was 36 again knowing what I know now. 36 is soooo young, mind you I don't 'feel' any older than 36 so don't let some stupid comments upset you. They're probably just jealous that you can do so much, i.e 'hike, dance, workout and can still flip over into a back bend' . I'd take them on with the back bends in the garden, 'now lets see who's the old heffer.' icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

manahigh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manahigh Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 2:36pm
post #6 of 43

The first time my granddaughters told me I was OLD, I will admit, it stung. Mostly because I really don't feel my age. Years ago, I thought 60 was ancient and now that I will soon be 61 I don't know how to reconcile this in my brain. Now I will admit that the mirror reveals that I indeed show the effects of aging, but if I don't dwell on what I see I really don't feel any different than when I was 30. So please ladies, enjoy your 30s, 40s and beyond. We are all getting older but better!!!!

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 3:15pm
post #7 of 43

I'm 49 and I think that maybe now I'm getting old icon_lol.gif but 36 is NOT old. My grandfather is 94...now that's OLD! As TexasSugar said the heifer part would have offended me more that the "old" part.

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 4:35pm
post #8 of 43

Geez... what planet are these folks from?

I didn't have my first child until I was 36. I have 3 now and I'm 42. I better not feel old; I'd never keep up!

My father recently passed away at the age of 86. In many ways he was one of the "youngest" people I've ever known. It's all about the attitude.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 5:15pm
post #9 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSugar

Quote:

I like myself and I am happy with being in my 30"s. I have lived, loved and learned alot about myself in 36 years and do not live with regrets of shoulda,coulda and woulda.

Then why worry or care about what others think or say?

Personally if a man called me an old heffer, I'd take more offense in the heffer part. But then again weight is a bigger issue to me than age.

Totally agree on both points! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

But this topic is precisely why I detest the "over the hill" birthday themes, ESPECIALLY for the "kids" who are only 30 or 40. I love getting older ... and better!

Age is relative to the age of the person making the statement. I remember thinking that when the year 2000 rolled around, I'd be (gasp!) FORTY YEARS OLD!! To my granddaughter, I'm ancient. TO my 80 year old mother in law, I'm a kid.

MelissaAnn84 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelissaAnn84 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 5:55pm
post #10 of 43

he called you an "Old Heffer"!?... brave man.

i hope you have an old uncomfortable couch for him to sleep on... he deserves it!!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 6:13pm
post #11 of 43

The older I get, the younger 60 is. icon_cool.gif

The older I get, the younger 18 is. icon_razz.gif

It is all relative.

And I totally agree with Antonia74. thumbs_up.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 6:29pm
post #12 of 43

icon_surprised.gif - So i am guessing that your not so dear Husnabd is a real good looking stud of a man - able to scale buildings, run a marathon, fit into his wedding day suit, make and decorate a cake and still be standing at the stove to cook breakfast for you - all by 7AM each morning icon_confused.gificon_wink.gif

36 - What a perfect age -
Not only do you know *where you are in life* you know what you like, - don't like and where you are heading..

Hope you just gave him the *stare* for a very long minute - closed your eyes - turned on your left heel and walked calmly away.
That would have left him icon_confused.gif and thinking *he!!, think i have over stepped the mark*

I am 55 - and LOVE it.
As long as we wake up every morning - our 2 feet touch the ground and you like who you are - age doen't come into it.

Its like the cr*p you see on tellie and read in magazines about
40 being the NEW 30
50 being the NEW 40

spare me icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif -

We are what we are - so carry it well - be proud you have got this far - and look forward to every year that comes.

And leave those who icon_razz.gif on your age.... behind in your dust - thumbs_up.gif

Yell out to him - tell him I WANT TO SAY SOMETHING TO HIM.......

LISTEN PAL, there are thousands of women out there who are suvivors of Cancer amid other things, and altho older than your wife - our husbands are just glad we still walk this planet -
And love that we are here to celebrate every birthday -
Your a condecending jerk - who doesn't know not only how to speak to your wife - but you do not know how to speak to a lady
Your RUDE - thats what you are.
Hope your proud of yourself - because i bet your wife sure as He!! isn't.

Actually - i would have given him the *stare* after i slapped him -

Bluehue

indydebi Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 6:57pm
post #13 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

icon_surprised.gif - So i am guessing that your not so dear Husnabd is a real good looking stud of a man - able to scale buildings, run a marathon, fit into his wedding day suit, make and decorate a cake and still be standing at the stove to cook breakfast for you - all by 7AM each morning icon_confused.gificon_wink.gif

luv luv LUV your entire post thumbs_up.gif but this part makes me think of what my sister told her husband once.

She was pregnant. VERY pregnant. Lots of swelling. Her feet swollen so much that when she walked, her toes didn't touch the floor. And he said to her.......

"I know it's just baby but I dont' know if I could love you if this was what you normally looked like."

After she gave him the stare, he said, "I probably shouldn't have said that, should I?" (Duh, ya THINK?!) and she said .......

"Well, considering that I can lose this weight but YOU had a full head of hair when I married YOU!"

Uh....he got it.

Bluehue Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 7:25pm
post #14 of 43

Another reason why WOMEN carry and give birth Deb -

Otherwise men *cough* like mrspriss0912's and your BIL would no doubt produce *minnie me's*
And the world sure doen't need any more stooooopid males like that.

Just think - the day will come when they are old - thinning on top - large around the girth - pasty looking - hair growing out of their ears - testies like wet socks and when they smile at some pretty young thing walking by -
She will turn around and say - *ewwwwwwwww yukk, asssss iffff*

And that is what we women call - SWEET REVENGE
BECAUSE WHEN THEY CANNOT -..... WE STILL CAN icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

Bluehue - 55 and still kicking.....and the occassional scream - icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 7:42pm
post #15 of 43

Bluehue- you're hilarious!!

Bluehue Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 7:51pm
post #16 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosiecast

Bluehue- you're hilarious!!

LOL - just stating pure facts - lollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll
And ain't they sweet. icon_lol.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 8:14pm
post #17 of 43

Methuselah was old. Until you reach that age, you're YOUNG. icon_biggrin.gif

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 8:24pm
post #18 of 43

im old (41) and embracing it for all its worth... in fact i cant wait until i get one of those mobility scooters and get to roam the shopping centres pulling up jeans on the teens that think wearing them halfway down their bum crack is fashionable

my hubby was a down a few weeks ago because some of the guys in his office was giving him a hard time about being an old man (hes a gemini, go figure) and i happily reminded him that hes running 5min kilometers, lifting 180lbs with his trainer, is thinner now than when he was 10yrs ago and i would put his fitness up against any of the 30yr olds in his office anyday

age is just a number

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 11:15pm
post #19 of 43

well,

I'm 45 soon to be 46. I still don't know what i'm suppose to feel like, but it is wonderful when the 20 somethings at work forget that i'm older then some of their mothers.

Now here is a story you all might get a kick out of.

When my son was in kindergarten (he graduates this year) he told his teacher that she would have to excuse his mother as she is very old and very forgetful.

Well after the teacher and i got done laughing about that, i proceeded to ask him on the way home how old he thought i was, well 60, ok i snicker, then how old is grandma well shes got to be 100, a few more snickers, and i ask well then how old is MeMe (this is my grandmother) Oh he says i can't count that high.

Well the poor kid is still getting his chops busted about that.

Age is just a number and how old you are perceived is more in how you act.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 11:49pm
post #20 of 43

I take it your husband has no plans to 'get lucky' any time soon?

I can't post what I would say and do if DH said that to me... I'm too much of a lady - and they would edit me. LOL

mrspriss0912 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 12:49am
post #21 of 43

OMG; now that I am back on the couch and wiping away the tears from my eyes I feel much better thanks you guys icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif . Yes H is still in the dog house and will be there for quite a while !!!

Yes he is a stud.....according to Webester's a short stick for anchoring things into the ground icon_evil.gificon_evil.gif ! No he wont be getting anything for a long time.... supper, his laundry, his favorite tv show, ect,ect,ect.... I am to old to do any of those things ya know!

But really thanks guys!!! You all rock!! I am happy in my skin and I really dont give a crap anymore he can take me or leave me either way I am me like it or lump it!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 12:39pm
post #22 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelissaAnn84

he called you an "Old Heffer"!?... brave man.

i hope you have an old uncomfortable couch for him to sleep on... he deserves it!!

No kidding!

"Old" is just related to the age of the person who's saying it. When I was in 6th grade a 2nd grader called me "ma'am", and I realized then that it's all relative.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 5:29pm
post #23 of 43
Quote:

! No he wont be getting anything for a long time.... supper, his laundry, his favorite tv show, ect,ect,ect.... I am to old to do any of those things ya know!

This is totally the first thing that popped into my head, the next time he asks a questions like ; what's for dinner, where's my favorite jeans, etc, etc. your answer can now be " WHAT??? I'm too OLD to do all that stuff!!" I would totally USE that!! llol Him being so MUCH younger he should be able to pick up the slack right?

GI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GI Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 10:00pm
post #24 of 43

I saw this thread...this is one of my all-time Favs:

"Age 3: She looks at herself and sees a queen.

"Age 8: She looks at herself and sees Cinderella.

"Age 15: She looks at herself and sees an ugly duckling (Mom I can't go to school looking like this today!)

"Age 20: She looks at herself and sees "too fat/too thin, too short/too tall, too straight/too curly" but decides she's going out anyway.

"Age 30: She looks at herself and sees "too fat/too thin, too short/too tall, too straight/too curly" but decides she doesn't have time to fix it so she's going out anyway.

"Age 40: She looks at herself and sees "too fat/too thin, too short/too tall, too straight/too curly" but says, "At least I am clean," and goes out anyway.

"Age 50: She looks at herself and sees "I am what I am" and goes wherever she wants to go.

"Age 60: She looks at herself and reminds herself of all the people who can't even see themselves in the mirror anymore. Goes out and conquers the world.

"Age 70: She looks at herself and sees wisdom, laughter, and ability and goes out and enjoys life.

"Age 80: Doesn't bother to look. Just puts on a purple hat and goes out to have fun with the world.

"The moral is, maybe we should all grab that purple hat a little earlier."

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 10:20pm
post #25 of 43

I'm floating around in my 38th year...your as old as you feel.

As for the heifer comment... I used to work on a dairy and stock farm.. want to borrow my castorating kit? You want to band them or cut them ??? icon_twisted.gif HHEHE icon_twisted.gif HEHEHEH icon_twisted.gif EHEHEh icon_twisted.gif

oh and to answer you question how old is old.. when you fart and nothing comes out but dust. icon_razz.gif

indydebi Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 10:55pm
post #26 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesso

oh and to answer you question how old is old.. when you fart and nothing comes out but dust. icon_razz.gif

No, I think it's when you fart and you don't care who heard and that they know it was you! icon_lol.gif

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 11:02pm
post #27 of 43

ahem...
An old woman is riding the elevator in a very lavish New York City Office Building. A young and beautiful woman gets into the elevator and smelling like expensive perfume turns to the old woman and says arrogantly, "Giorgio - Beverly Hills, $100 an ounce!"

The next young and beautiful woman gets on the elevator and also very arrogantly turns to the old woman and says, "Chanel No. 5, $150 an ounce!"

About three floors later, the old woman has reached her destination and is about to get off the elevator. Before she leaves, she looks both beautiful women in the eyes, bends over, and lets out a most foul-smelling fart. She leaves the stunned women in a cloud of funk, saying "Broccoli - 49 cents a pound."

indydebi Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 11:05pm
post #28 of 43

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Now THAT'S the kind of old lady I want to be!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

(have we all noticed, however, that men get to that point LONG before women do! At least MY hubby has!) icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

JulieMN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieMN Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 11:46pm
post #29 of 43
Quote:

why dose a set of numbers make you "old" per-say?

It is all in the perspective. I was a nursing home social worker for a number of years and when I see obituaries of people in their late 70's or early 80's I think...."they were so young."

mrspriss0912 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 1:02am
post #30 of 43

Ok so I am the one being BAD now I just read somem of the post to H and he tought they were funny..... He has NO IDEA that these are in reply to him! icon_wink.gif He would go ape sh** if he knew that I was posting about him!
Anywho LOVE YOU ALL for making me feel better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%