Walk-In Cooler Humidity Issues

Business By snowshoe1 Updated 23 Mar 2010 , 11:36am by snowshoe1

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 12:12pm
post #1 of 6

Hi - anyone out there have a walk-in cooler and been able to solve humidity issues. We have a cooler approximately 8' x 8' and our fondant cakes that require refridgeration accumulate much more condensation than my home refridgerator.

We had a company come out to install some packets on the ceiling and next to the fan that are supposed to absorb humidity, but it doesn't seem to be taking care of the issue.

Has anyone else had this issue and, if so, will you please share with me what products / procedures you have used to fix the issue. I understand some condensation will occur, but the amount of humidity we have is actually melting our fondant.

Thanks in advance for any advice! icon_smile.gif

5 replies
revskg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revskg Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 4:10pm
post #2 of 6

I don't have a solution, but I have the same problem with the small cooler unit I use for cakes. I hope someone has a solution.

Sherry G

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 7:52pm
post #3 of 6

I have a cooler that has high humidity all I figured out was put the cakes in boxes and cover with plastic bags and they stay dry. Takes more room but it works.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 8:20pm
post #4 of 6

PM ClassicCakes. She this issue completely figured out.

At least I'm pretty sure that's her name. Cake Shop in Indiana. Carmel IN I think.

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 3:05am
post #5 of 6

Classic Cakes answered me in this thread:
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=667757&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

My refrigerator guy is going to put in a smaller evaporator than is usual and he says that will take care of excess humidity. If it doesn't, he says there is a dehumidifier that can be installed--it is just more expensive to do it that way.

snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 11:36am
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the replies - I'll check out the suggestions!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%